opening/editing demo files on OSX

(fattakin) #1

Anyone know of any tools that will let me open / run demo files on OSX? Want to make a video with some old demos. dm_83 files i dont have access to a windows box.

(Nail) #2

OSX is 2.60b only, iirc that’s dm84, may have to dual boot

(fattakin) #3

Hmm really dont fancy that!

I cant even get the console open in OSX :frowning:

(shagileo) #4

Hi there,

demo’s on mac are dm_84 only, yes
You can check out your dm_84 files in:

Finder => ‘username’ (your home folder) => Library => Application Support => Wolfenstein ET

There you’ll find ET related folders, like those of mods (e.g. Jaymod, ETnam … etc).
In those MOD folders you’ll find another folder called: demos
there you’ll find your dm_84

This ‘Application Support’ folder is handy to know, as it also holds screenshots you take from ingame.
So the above part is just to state where exactly OSX saves the files
However, you indeed need to play those with ET. You can do that by running the game and choose in the menu: replays => choose your demo/replay to play.

But that depends of MOD. So if you took a demo on a server running Jaymod, you need to run the JayMod Mod first. Easy as well: run the game => in the main menu choose: mods => choose mod where you recorded demo => replays => choose demo

Lot of blabla, actually, 'cause the easiest way is, like you stated, by executing the demo with the console.
In Mac ET, you open your console by pressing the “<” key.
Then you write down: /demo MY_DEMO_NAME

I just wrote down everything that’s interesting to know, because sooner or later, you’ll be looking for those things as well, and then you all have it here already :slight_smile:

Allas, it’s a bit unfortunate with those dm_83 of yours, but I hope my post helps you and/or others out in some way.