Hello all, Brink drags another one

(bachelarius) #1

Hello everyone,

Yet another person here, anticipating the nearing release of Brink :slight_smile:

Having been following its development since it appeared in an old GamesTM (or was it Edge? think it was Games) mag did an article on it, I am really hopeful for what it will deliver. However, having grown up with games, this is the very first one which I have ever looked at and thought: “I want to make this game!” as opposed to just play it.

Reason behind this fact may well be because I am a tech-based Uni student, Traceur (practitioner of parkour) since 6 years ago AND Airsofter of 2 years, so this is a game that is appealing to pretty much every facet of my being, haha!

Anyway I am a final-year student of AI & Cybernetics at Reading Uni and after just completing a VR module, have finally got it into my head that I am actually capable of creating interactive content and am slowly teaching myself the concepts behind modding, for now with the aid of TES4:Oblivion, which is probably the greatest example of a game being improved by the modding community.

Anyway, Just felt I needed to say hello to everyone and will be keenly following any and all updates on Brink and especially looking forwards to any details on the SDK coming forth.

I have also just set up and made post 1 in a technical Blog, explaning a tiny bit more about myself and my projects etc.

So in short, hi there, I am really hoping to become an active member of this community within the near future and would be honored to join the local modding community and help in any way I can, as soon as it gets going!

P.S. I hear Tapirs are look after things around here…:stroggtapir:

Cheers, Nikolay Timofeev.

(Nail) #2

welcome, yes tapirs rule the Tower

(PoBoy) #3

Sweeeet. IRL Brink.
Welcome :slight_smile:

(Senyin) #4

Welcome and good luck! :slight_smile:

(light_sh4v0r) #5

Welcome :slight_smile:

Hi bachelarius welcome to the site mate, looks like your keeping busy with all the parkour and AI & Cybernetics, Good mix, :slight_smile: I’m thinking of starting working with unreal editor 3, do you have any experience with this engine?

(bachelarius) #7

Hi everyone, thanks for all of the welcomes, really appreciated! This is probably the first games forum I have ever joined and really actively followed, so thanks for making it easy and interesting to do so :slight_smile:

Busy indeed, Jammy. Glad that the Christmas lark is finally over so I can get back to work, as backwards as that sounds :stuck_out_tongue:

I am afraid I have actually got very little experience in any modern engines or editors at the moment. I have messed around with a few editors which have been bundled with certain games (NeverWinter Nights etc) but thats about it, so may well be in the same boat as you!

However, having flicked through this tutorial, I can say that I will probably have a quick play with it at some point soon. It looks quite easy to use, but you will probably find it a hell of a lot easier to get to grips with, if you have some experience with a propper 3d modelling package (e.g. lightwave, Maya, Blender etc) as it seems to use the same basic principals to create everything, e.g. create shape, apply texture/material to it, add light sources etc. Either way, it’s always nice to know the start middle and end of a process, (i.e. create model, optimise it, import into editor, add interactions/animations/audio and then compile and distribute) rather than just the last part :slight_smile:

Either way, keep me posted, I am still deciding which game or engine to work with or learn on, as I want to have a similar sort of power I had, when I was using Open Scene Graph, but, you know, make efficient applications with it. So yeah, keep me posted and I will do the same, and have a few good friends who are already interested in learning a similar skillset.

Just out of interest, what sort of mod or map have you got in mind?

Also, anyone currently in my boots or remembers that early stage, please give me a shout. Maybe I should start a topic in the off-topic section and see where that gets me, but I’ll leave it for now until I get used to the conventions and ettiquette of this community.

Many thanks, Nikolay

Edit:

P.S. here is a nice visual tutorial showing the same as that website, albeit in a bit of a dreary way :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the reply bachelarius :slight_smile: tbh I’m only toying with the idea atm but if I do start work on it I’ll post here to let you know how I get on. With regard to your Q “what sort of mod or map have you got in mind?” I would love to create a game from scratch, a free FPS, but putting a team together for that kind of project isn’t feasible for me yet.

Thanks for the links :slight_smile: