Corona Issues

(rzb) #1

Hey guys… i tend to break things in netradiant… and well never get much working either;(… i have recently tried getting a corona working… and well failing miserably!

The autosprite works fine… it follows you… its transparrent! and well all that is good but it just clips with the walls… and i know thats now how coronas should work… here is the image anyway! any help will be extremely appreciated!

here is what exists in the shader file:

models/env/flare01

{
   deformVertexes autosprite
   surfaceparm   trans
   surfaceparm nomarks
   surfaceparm nolightmap
   q3map_surfacelight   0
   cull none
   {
      map textures/misc/flare01.tga
      blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
      rgbGen identityLighting
   }

}

thanks again for any help!

(VolumetricSteve) #2

that’s strange, the way a corona works is that it’s a result of the light bouncing around inside a lens before it hits the film. So, coronas should only appear if you’re looking at a light, and only at an angle. Technically they’d still appear if you’re looking at a light straight on, but the corona effect would be over taken by the sheer directness of light. In your case, the clipping issue might be covered in this:

http://www.wemakemaps.com/lensflare.htm

if it’s not in there, it has to be here somewhere if it’s anywhere:

http://www.robotrenegade.com/q3map2/docs/shader_manual/contents.html

I’m looking through myself, I’ll post back if I find anything. Good Luck. If you do figure it out, be sure to share your solution here!

(rzb) #3

Really appreciate it! i will have a look through them and if i do fix it i will post back! thanks for the help!

(rzb) #4

hmm… i actually went through and tested each line out from the shader manual… well not all but most of them that sounded roughly that they may be applicable… and ya no change :frowning: i didnt manage to get the clipping to stop :frowning:

Thanks anyway! really appreciate it

(VolumetricSteve) #5

There has to be some way to do it, at the very least there should be some way to get it to render over everything, like…the same way the crosshairs and health meter do, I know you don’t want to see a corona if the light source is on the other side of a wall, but…I dunno man, that might be a start. If I were you I’d keep prodding at the shader manual, and also attack every search engine you can think of with phrases like “quake lens flare effect” “quake 3 coronas” “gtkradiant lens flare”

Quake 3 is pretty old, so try to see if some of the old ones are still working, these might help

www.altavista.com
www.webcrawler.com
www.hotbot.com
www.lycos.com
www.dogpile.com

Good Luck.

(kamikazee) #6

Have you tried sort?

models/env/flare01
{
  surfaceparm trans
  surfaceparm nomarks
  surfaceparm nolightmap
  q3map_surfacelight 0
  cull none
  sort additive
  {
    map textures/misc/flare01.tga
    blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
    rgbGen identityLighting
  }
}

You could try sort nearest, but this may interfere with the HUD and other textures. I would recommend searching around to see what others used.

(obsidian) #7

What are you using the shader on. Is it just sitting on a brush quad with nodraw? Is it a patch or model (autosprite might have problems with those, BTW)?

What game is this for, and have there been modifications to autosprite or generated lens flares?

The shader itself looks right. You shouldn’t need sort unless you have some other crazy shader stuff in the wall shaders. Here is one of mine, very similar:

textures/blastburn_lights/flare_halogen
{
	cull none
	q3map_noFog
	surfaceparm nodlight
	surfaceparm nolightmap
	surfaceparm nomarks
	surfaceparm nonsolid
	surfaceparm trans
	qer_trans 0.75
	{