Legal?

(reaply) #1

Hey since ET is open sourced now and now it can be recoded and what not.
Is it legal to make it work for playstation 3? In any way? xD :stuck_out_tongue:
Portal Wolfenstein ET ftw :pxD

(Susefreak) #2

[QUOTE=reaply;236025]Hey since ET is open sourced now and now it can be recoded and what not.
Is it legal to make it work for playstation 3? In any way? xD :stuck_out_tongue:
Portal Wolfenstein ET ftw :pxD[/QUOTE]

I suggest googling GPL v3, to find out about the legality of it.

(nUllSkillZ) #3

Source wise:
Actually you can port it to every platform you want.

The only thing:
If you change the source code you have to publish it.

Not sure if it’s possible to run W:ET natively on PS3.

(kamikazee) #4

What do you want to do, get it compiled for a Cell processor and its native operating system?

This might be hard to do as you can’t redistribute W:ETs assets outside of the original installer, meaning you would have to extract them from there.

(reaply) #5

[QUOTE=kamikazee;236318]What do you want to do, get it compiled for a Cell processor and its native operating system?

This might be hard to do as you can’t redistribute W:ETs assets outside of the original installer, meaning you would have to extract them from there.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you mean to be honnest ;p So you are saying that we have to use the original installer?

(kamikazee) #6

If you intend to use the original game’s assets, then yes.

I can’t remember how the Linux installers works though, maybe you can just unzip the game or something similar. Still, this extra bloat is needed to keep it legal.

(reaply) #7

So if I made a custom installer it would be illegal?

(Susefreak) #8

You will not succeed, you need access to the sony PS3 sdk (which I doubt you have).
There is alot more to it then just a compile of the source code. You need to look at optimisations, code changes etc. Porting code to another platform can be hell, not to mention another architecture.

(Nail) #9

and PS3 is way harder to code for than XBOX