Playstation 3+wolfenstien ET

(reaply) #1

Has anyone with an playstation 3 put linux on it and played wolfenstein ET? I’m thinking about trying it but ive heard rumors of linux slowing down your playstation 3 (I just bought one 4 days ago ^_^) Would be super cool if it works.

(nukits) #2

uhh i think its not possible :x

(Wezelkrozum) #3

Can you also install Windows 7 or Mac on your playstation 3?:confused:

(Susefreak) #4

Not really possible, since there is only software 3d rendering for the linux installs on the PS3. Even if there was hardware accel you’d need access to the PS3 OpenGL extentions, which aren’t public.

Not to mention you need a PPC compile of W:ET to get things started

(AnthonyDa) #5

SONY removed the possibility to installs linux on the PS3 months ago with a firmware update.

(Burneddi) #6

Since when has PS3 used Mac OS? Who would want to play a game like this with a gamepad anyways? I don’t get it.

(Susefreak) #7

PPC != Mac OS
The Cell processor is a PPC (PowerPC processor), basically it’s the evolution of the older PPC chips.
The build up of the Cell processor therefore is one PowerPC core (ISA compliant, so it’s really a PPC core), and a mix-mash of gpu features called SPE.

Macs aren’t the only ones using the PPC architecture.

Also you can hook up a mouse and keyboard to your PS3

(Nail) #8

still available here:

http://ydl.net/support/downloads/

edit¸after further browsing, seems the morons actually removed a feature that some of my friends bought that console for.

(signofzeta) #9

[quote=Nail;236500]still available here:

http://ydl.net/support/downloads/

edit¸after further browsing, seems the morons actually removed a feature that some of my friends bought that console for.[/quote]

now that ain’t ballin.

(reaply) #10

I can downgrade firmware…

And also I forgot how consoles have custom graphics cards so the drivers POOP. But is Linux the closest or should I say the BEST, to use instead of windows on Playstation 3?

(Susefreak) #11

(reaply) #12

-I’m not sure why you took out OF in my post into your quote…
-And I was just asking why is Linux better on a Console.

(kamikazee) #13

The thing is: a PS3 is totally different hardware than a PC. The operating system needs to support it and apart from it’s native OS from Sony, only Linux was properly ported to run on it. Microsoft has its own console to worry about.

(forty) #14

You’ll probably get a Wii/Gamecube type port before you see a PS3/Xbox 360 version…

(sereNADE) #15

i wish i could go back in time when i understood even less and see what kind of questions i would type into a forum