Setting up ET server

(TGAM123) #1

hi…i need to set up my own server:

1. i need to set up ip forwarding at linux/windows
  2. i need to make my own config file and map rotation map (already done)
  3. i need to test my server (dedicated 2)

can you help me?

(hellreturn) #2

Home server or on dedicated machine or at GSP?

(TGAM123) #3

i neet it to be dedicated but from my home…XD

(hellreturn) #4

Is your home internet capable enough to handle all? I assume all will be lagging bad with high packet loss since I haven’t seen any good home internet which can run servers from home. :stuck_out_tongue:

On side note what your server (PC) OS? Windows or Linux?

(Burneddi) #5

ET is 7 years old, one megabyte of upload is enough for a server. Yet you should have more upload because hosting that server won’t be the only thing you will be doing with your internet.

I’ve got a shitty Linux box and a shitty upload (1mb), yet if I run a server on it, it doesn’t lag at all.

(Blowfish) #6

Setting up server at home = FAIL , unless you have at least a 50MB down and UP !

(TGAM123) #7

i’ve got both OSes (windows and linux) i’ve got that problem:

My server is set t dedicated 2 (internet) but it always run as local…

what to do?

(Nail) #8

it shows as local on your home network because it is, but only to you

(TGAM123) #9

oh…so it’s as internet for other people?

(Nail) #10

if set up correctly, yes

(reaply) #11

Did you force ip in the shortcut you made? I havn’t played ET in awhile :(. But in the shortcut you add a command and then your IP address and I believe it is followed by :27960

(TGAM123) #12

…so maby problem was in that :27960 or maby i don’t have ip forwarding enabled.and everything else i have set in kks.cfg and map rotation file kkm.cfg is execed from kks.Map rotation file is working but i don’t know if my server is visible from network.

and if,ten please how to enable ip forwarding in linux?

(reaply) #13

Uh, give me the IP to your home server and I will try to join.

(Wezelkrozum) #14

Forwarding is done in your router. Every router has a slightly different way of configuring ports. So I redirect you to this site (www.portforward.com) were you can read how to configure portforwarding for your router. They have a list of almost all routers.

Good Luck!:slight_smile:

(Burneddi) #15

With 50mbps upload you could host like twenty servers. Even 1 megabit would perhaps do, but something like 2 to 10 megabits is more than enough for an old game like ET.

Don’t forget that we’re talking about a 7 years old game running on a 10 years old engine.

(Undead_fly) #16

Regarding bandwidth consumption, it really depends on how many people you intend to host for. Remember, if you double the amount of players, you generally need four times as much bandwidth. Some examples: For a server with a couple of friends (Let’s say 5 players), 300kbit (or 37 kilobytes) upload speed is enough. For a medium server with up to 20 players, you might need 2.5mbit (312 kilobytes) upload bandwidth, but for a mega-server with up to 40 people you’ll probably need around 7mbit upload (875 kilobytes) to catch the spikes and keep the lag away. Download speed probably won’t be an issue, because it’s usually much faster than the upload speed on home networks.

But as other people have pointed out, you’ll need an extremely stable network to do this. If your ping isn’t 100% stable when playing, forget hosting. And using your network for anything else while hosting the server will cause huge lag spikes for everyone, so forget that too. Your computer also needs to be on 24/7.

Bottom line: Hosting larger servers from home is generally a bad idea, but if you’re willing to leave your computer on without actually using it 24/7, feel free to try. :stuck_out_tongue:

(TGAM123) #17

Thanks…but it will not run all day…i just want to play with my friends sometime so…thanks very much…if any more ideas which can help me…post them here please.THANKS!

(Wezelkrozum) #18

Rightclick on ET.exe and select <Create Shortcut>. Give it a name like My ET Server and put it on your Desktop. Rightclick on the shortcut and go to <Proportions>. A new window should pop-up. In the <Goal> field you have to add < +set fs_game etmain +exec server.cfg +set dedicated “2” +set net_port “27960”>.

After you’ve followed the link to the PortForwarding website and forwarded the port 27960, you must be able to run the server external.

If you still can’t see your server, maybe your firewall blocks it. So close all ET applications, disable your firewall and start your server again. If you can see your server now, close all ET applications, enable your firewall and exclude ET from your firewall’s program-blocking list.
Start your server again to see if it works.

When it still doesn’t work you’ve got a problem. The only thing I can think about is that your router has somekind of Virtual-server option (My router does). Try to set the virtual-server port 27960 open. For some kind of reason I have to do this before my server can be seen on the internet.

Good Luck!:cool: (BTW, this is for Windows)