Invalid GUID / empty CD key

(noobst3R) #1

Ok. This sucks. I have spent the last 3 hours trying to find a fix for the invalid GUID error. I was playing fine for like two hours, and then, after quitting or joining another server or so, i got the error. Just a few servers do not complain, but kick me anyway for not having a cd key.

I tried:

Re-installing (from multiple sites)
Patching
Using the pb_cdkeyreg command, which sends something to a server, but i never receive anything
Deleting pb
Updating pb
The command cl_punkbuster 0, but it says it’s read-only.
…and some more stuff.

I’m so angry right now… I feel like smashing my ashtray on my screen… :stroggtapir:

I hope to hear from someone here soon, thanks.

(B0RG) #2

Well, maybe use /seta cl_punkbuster “1” instead of value = 0 (0=off -> 1=on)

Anyways, perhaps your firewall/antivirus is blocking punkbuster services.

If you’re running Windows Vista or Windows7, I cant help. I dont use those shi… those Operating Systems.

EDIT:
Ok, if I delete my etkey file and I apply /pb_cdkeyreg, I take the “successfull” message.

EDIT 2: :smiley:
Ok, it says its done but its not. I have not new etkey in my etmain folder and Im kicked from PB servers due to empty cd key (Obviously)

(UJERebel) #3

ALWAYS keep a copy of your etkey… :stuck_out_tongue:

(acQu) #4

obviously pb (server) not work. may try email to evenbalance.

(zbzero) #5

Take a look at your folders if they not are write protected, check your firewall if not are blocking the PnkBstrB.exe / PnkBstrA.exe. I use win7 x64 and i my game runs like XP.

(-diesel-) #6

[QUOTE=noobst3R;232333]Ok. This sucks. I have spent the last 3 hours trying to find a fix for the invalid GUID error. I was playing fine for like two hours, and then, after quitting or joining another server or so, i got the error. Just a few servers do not complain, but kick me anyway for not having a cd key.

I tried:

Re-installing (from multiple sites)
Patching
Using the pb_cdkeyreg command, which sends something to a server, but i never receive anything
Deleting pb
Updating pb
The command cl_punkbuster 0, but it says it’s read-only.
…and some more stuff.

I’m so angry right now… I feel like smashing my ashtray on my screen… :stroggtapir:

I hope to hear from someone here soon, thanks.[/QUOTE]

I’m having the same exact problem, I did the command, I messed around with PB for like an hour, I even got the Readonly error for punkbuster. It’s good to know it wasn’t only my computer that was having issues. I think it is punkbuster server issue.

(-diesel-) #7

How do we exactly do that? Do you mean “read only” ?

(Spine) #8

Jep, I have the same problem… Installed windows 7 yesterday, and when the time came to install et this CD key problem occurred… When I try the /pb_cdkeyreg command it never gets a response or so it seems. there is just a texst: CD key registration request sent to quidauth master at… And nothing happensa after that. No matter how long you wait :stuck_out_tongue:

(zbzero) #9

ya i means read only after i reinstall et i get my folders read only, so you must to change that so your game will be able to save files inside the folders. Get the pbsetup.exe form evenbalance and run it. Add these files PnkBstrB.exe / PnkBstrA.exe in your firewall rules to have unrestricted access in windows 7, these files are saved inside the Users/yourname/local/AppData/local/Punkbuster/ET/pb directory , in my case i add these files and i add windows/sysWoW64 files too (im with 64 bits win7, if you use x86 look at system32 instead sysWoW64). try to run your game with admin rights too.

(hellreturn) #10

Looks like PB Auth server is down. New players can’t connect to our server because of same above error.

Make a ticket here and they will know the issue:
http://evenbalance.com/troubleticket/new_ticket.php?game=et

(noobst3R) #11

… I’m now back at home, and i have just installed ET here. Again, the same ****ing GUID problem. This is 70 miles away from that other pc, with a different IP, fresh install,… What the hell? >:( Did Belgium get banned from playing ET?

I only have AVG as any firewall/anti-virus installed, as it was on the other pc. Could that be the problem? For the rest, different specs, different OS,…

EDIT: Hellreturn posted while i was having dinner, and i didn’t reload the page. Mh… But how is it possible that i was able to play it fine for hours, until sometime? And almost nobody else had a problem?

EDIT2: Support ticket sent. Doesn’t really matter, i wont be able to play till the server is back up. Unless somebody wants to send me their key. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Bodd) #12

same **** for me :frowning:

if anyone get it to work plz tell me how.

(noobst3R) #13

Is it possible to make a server that doesn’t require a cdkey/guid? If so, i’ll make a server, and everyone here with the error can join me.

(Nail) #14

for those who could play before, try going to a restore point when you could play, copy etkey, and restore back to today, re-install etkey

($omator) #15

i do not know what about other mods but at True Combat: Elite it works when you create a file called etkey at etmain folder or wherever punnkbuster have created an etkey last time youve generated it and fill the file with random numbers… hope it will help you:wink:

(noobst3R) #16

Well, it doesn’t.

($omator) #17

maybe yo fill it with wrong content :))

(noobst3R) #18

Dude, srsly, do you even know what you’re talking about? :mad:

($omator) #19

here:

C:\Program Files\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\etmain

or in windows 7 here:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\PunkBuster\ET\etmain

shoule be your etkey file. if it is not you will get PB kick saying:

"Empty CDKey not allowed on this server"

normaly when GuidAuth server is up and running and you connect to PB enabled server you will get one generated automaticly or by opening console by pressing tilde (~) and typing \pb_cdkeyreg and after that pressing enter. this should generate a new etkey.

but now when guidauth is offline you migh try to ‘fake’ your guid simply by creating at one of those folders mentioned above file called etkey (with no extension) and placing some random number string like 74538970724389634637957 inside of it.

for now it should work but when they will fix GuidAuth you probably will get this kick:

"PB GUID AUTH: UNKN"

because the guid you have randomly typed will not macth pb/eb etkey pattern
then you will have to delete the one YOU created and connect to pb enabled server or \pbcdkeyreg from console

(NOTE: sometimes when ingame or \disconect from server game does not respond to \pbcdkeyreg - to be sure type it right after you start the game from you shortcut)

if you will still have problems contact me on xfire >> boskibyczybyk or via PM here
ill try to help you:cool:

(Walls) #20

thanks a lot, worked fine, and i can play now