wolfsp.exe crashes if a clipped brush is hit

(sd2009) #1

Hi,

When I fire at a clipped (carved brush with the clipper) with the fixed mg42, wolfsp.exe hangs for a few seconds and then it crashes (the sound of the mg42 hangs with an echo). The brush is a normal worldspawn object with a simple texture on it. The shader overflow bug does not occur in this map. Or is this a side effect of the shader overflow bug?

Did anyone have this experience? Everything else is fine.

sd2009.

(vicpas) #2

Could you make one beta map for testing?

(kat) #3

Is this happening in as part of a larger map? Custom shader? Have you flagged the clipped brush volume as “Detail”? Always flag clipped brushwork as detail otherwise it’ll cause all sorts of problems.

(sd2009) #4

Hi Kat,

Your suggestion to change the type of the brush in detail spoiled my whole terrain. I reverted the type to structure but the whole terrain is still a mess. Some terrain brushes have now a gray untextured look. What happened and how to solve this problem? The map is large (65x65 pixels height map). It contains some custom ASEs and md3s. The terrain shader is a custom shader. It also contains some custom shaders. The strange thing is that the wolfsp.exe is not crashing any more. The md3s and the ASEs are all ok.

Hi Vicpas,

I hope you are ok. I cannot publish a messed up map. Besides, I do not have a website. I can split the file and send it to you and you can test it. It would be nice to make it available for the whole community. But let us fix this mess first.

sd2009.

(Eugeny) #5

Hi sd2009!

I wonder when rtcw understood ASE model,

(sd2009) #6

Hi Eugeny,

Yes, rtcw understands ASE models. I have no problems with them. You must change the type of file for the models when you want to load them, the default is md3. I use gtkradiant 1.4.0.

Best wishes.

sd2009

(kat) #7

When you say “terrian” are you talking about a genSurf type terrain entity? Or just some random brushes you knocked together that you calling a terrain? If it’s the former then yes, you don’t need to flag the terrain as detail is the terrain entitys by default condition, so any rendering issues will likely be related to your shader I should think - it sounds like you’ve got a missing texture in there actually, the gray texture is wolf default for missing images/textures.

If you talking about a collection of brushes you’ve knocked together then you need to make sure they’re func_grouped and flagged detail as a whole unit. Again though you need to check what shaders you have applied to it for missing textures - as above gray = missing images/shaders/textures.

Single Player wolf has no issues with MD3 & ASE models unless they’re excessively large.

(sd2009) #8

Hi Kat,

The terrain was created by EasyGen 1.42 but I edited the shaders manually and everything was functioning fine until I selected the carved brush and I turned it into detail. This is where the whole trouble started.

(kat) #9

Is the carved/clipped brush part of the terrain entity or a separate brush sitting on it?

(sd2009) #10

It is a separate brush in a building.

(kat) #11

OK, you’re going to need to post/attach a screenshot if you can, if it’s in a building then it’s just a clipped brush and nothing to do with the actual EasyGen’d terrain, right? Reading through this entire topic again I’m going to hazard a guess that this is related to the shaderoverflow bug becasue your map is using too many shaders/lightmaps so I’d look to reducing the terrain complexity to start with (as they’re the usual suspect for this problem) and then reduce brushes until you get a clean run.

(sd2009) #12

here is a terrain sample shader:

textures/sp_test/terrain_0
{
surfaceparm grasssteps
q3map_nonplanar
q3map_shadeangle 90
q3map_tcGen ivector ( 512 0 0 ) ( 0 512 0 )
{
map textures/grass/jgrass10.tga
}
{
map $lightmap
blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_ZERO
tcGen lightmap
}
}

What makes me wonder most, is the fact that it was working fine, just before I turned the carved brush into detail. Even resetting the brush into structure kept the mistake.

Please, see the attached screen shots.

(kat) #13

Hmm, run brushcleanup, it could be that those are borked brushes. Normally that ‘gray’ texture shows when RtCW can’t find the image associated with that surface so check texture assignment. I would check your brushcount though and try and reduce the terrain. Try removing a completely different part of the map nd doing a test compile, if that works then yes, you’re over the shader/lightmap limit. If it doesn’t then there’s something else wrong, likely your terrain mesh.

(sd2009) #14

Kat the map was perfect and I did not change anything about it before modifying the type of the curved brush. I ran the bobtlz/brush cleanup. It did not find not even one defective brush. I reduced the number of brushes and recompiled but the damaged texture is still showing. Maybe, I need to reduce the number of brushes more. No texture is missing but the custom shader settings are causing this side effect. I did not delete or move or touch any texture. It is just amazing how this little change damaged the whole terrain.
The shader of the sand is not getting rendered at its middle point. The area where the blending with grass takes place is getting displayed properly though. Only the area where there is no blending one single poly is not textured properly.

(kat) #15

The bottom line is that the game has hardcoded limitations and you can go over them by placing a single brush or adding just one more shader - I’ve done ths on several occasions myself.

An alternative would be to do a test with the terrain covered in a normal texture in the same way other brushes are, remove the terrain shader and see if that cause the problem, if it does then you know it’s something to do with the shader, if it doesn’t then it’s something else in the level… Not all solutions are straightforward or simple so you end up doing a lot of detective work trying find and remove the source of the problem.

(sd2009) #16

I found the reason. It is a mismatched terrain shader. An old version was suppressing the new one. I replaced it with a backup and now it works.

Kat, you deserve credit for the detail brush. wolfsp.exe does not crash any more and the terrain is beautiful as ever and Vicpas deserves a beta test. He should tell me where to put the split files.

(kat) #17

Like I said, the terrain shader :tongue: Glad to see you finally got it to work.

(vicpas) #18

Congratulations for you’ve got to solve your “terrain” problems.

Hip Hip Hurra for Kat.

(sd2009) #19

Vicpas,

Where do you want me to put the beta map file?

(vicpas) #20

i don’t know if you can place here, but you can place it on any RTCW’s website.
Me and other testers can test it.
If you want to sent it for a private test, try my email.
vicpas1@gmail.com.