Because of copyright violations the Castle Eltz map is no longer:

For those interested you can read the whole story on www.wolfedit.com

(nUllSkillZ) #2

:o
Wow, fantastic looking map.

(Cambodunum) #3

… thats a really awesome map firefly
… thumbs up!!!

(can you tell me your secret for/of vis? xD)

(nUllSkillZ) #4

Just found:
http://www.burg-eltz.de/
Link for english page on frontpage.

Edit:

Burg is the german word for castle.

(Qualmi) #5

gratz and great objective.

(stealth6) #6

omg, I was wondering what happened to this… AWESOME!!

EDIT: just had a quick fly around and it is so dam detailed! Really looks incredible.

Only thing wrong that I noticed after that quick look is that the flags on the tail of the blimp are upside down, but overall amazing job!

(Nail) #7

in the words of Monty Burns… “excellent”

just one thing, would it be possible to get a version without swastikas, I can’t run it on our servers with them (they’re based in Germany)

(Pegazus) #8

Awesome work FireFly! I’l download it now and give a detailed review of it :slight_smile:

(UJERebel) #9

Wow, this is waseome!!! nice work!!
I’d love to play this map!!

i noticed 1 thing, why you have the dynamite AND generator symbol on eachtother on the command map? :S

(Pegazus) #10

Review

Not knowing much about the gameplay of Castle Eltz I’l try to do my best to give the author my support.

First of all when the player spawns the first feeling they get is that they are in Germany, basing on the styles of houses that are present in the map. The houses look great from far but from close you can see how the windows stick out from the buildings. Maybe implicate the windows into texture sheets? though that might be a big hassle considering how the textures are. Most doors on the houses are extremely tall from the height side. Germans are tall but not that tall either. It looks like the people who live here are 2.10m tall.

Though all that above does not really matter because it’s a real beauty for the eye. It blends in with the rest of background and the sky above players gives a great athmosphere feeling. So nobody would even notice those things and who would? There is a war to fight.

The castle looks awesome. Is it based on a real castle or it’s made up by you? Either one it’s very nicely done. Though what worries me is the open fields around here. The surrounding terrain makes a good job on blocking the open field for a while but I worry it’s not enough. Also I think this map will be a favorite by snipers because of this, which I don’t mind, I sometimes camp too, and I would not mind setting up a camp on this map. :slight_smile:

The Final part of the map (The area with the teleporter) makes me feel like i walked through the castle from World War 2 time to Quake Wars era. Looking at that thing I just can’t help myself to think about Quake Wars and that cloud above it is a great effect. It feels like this map should be implicated into RCTW and Quake Wars. :infiltrator:

In conclusion he map looks are awesome but since not being able to play it with people currently I can’t comment on gameplay. I just hope that looks wont be deceiving.
I will definitely suggest this map to be in rotation at my favorite server.

Until that the stars will stay like this. (this is based on looks currently)

Also 2 things I noticed while spectating.
http://img444.imageshack.us/f/et2010060609583089.png/
http://img683.imageshack.us/f/et2010060609552998.png/

Now if you don’t mind I’l load up Quake Wars, because your map made me feel like playing it again.

Good work FireFly, Looking forward to playing it with a group of buddies.

(nukits) #11

oohhh jeesus no words !!
really goooooood work !!

(Miki) #12

a beauty for the eye! I guess it was alot of work but the result was worth it! Anyway after 10 minutes of testing, i still coudln’t find my way around in the castle, it’s a pretty complex map… Good thing you added some stuff like ‘to teleporter’, ‘to zepplin’, … signs :slight_smile:

(Zer0Cool) #13

thank you for this beautiful map.
just one little thing:
you wrote on your marks “nach <place>”
in german you say “nach” for “to austria” or “to New York”
but “zum” for “to the teleproter” or “to the village”
you also just could write “teleporter”, “village” …

(pred4to5) #14

This is the reason why ET will never die. :slight_smile:

(stealth6) #15

@ Pegazus, maybe the doors are actually the right size for once, since if you convert the size of an ET player into real life size it is a little more then 2 meters :smiley:

Also I found the doors added to the vertical feeling of the houses which I liked, also windows sticking out of the houses it possible, I thought it was a nice change compared to the usual flat ones.

Also @ the sniper comment, I think the map has a nice balance, there are some spots for snipers, but also plenty of spots where snipers can’t function.

So it’s nice that they can snipe for once, but not everywhere like some other maps :smiley:

(Qualmi) #16

should say that there is actually a reason for that windows sticking out. its a good way to save performance.

(Shownie) #17

Indeed a nice looking map!

Great Job :slight_smile:

(Avoc) #18

A visual masterpiece

Will have to test it out on the server and see if the gameplay is just as masterful =)

EDIT: Found a bug. Using the sewer entrance by the big bridge, and going down the corridor to the big cave room, when you are underwater, you cannot see the water from below.

EDIT: Even if I still haven’t tried it out with 20+ players, I could imagine that this map simply has too many routes. And though the mapper in me loves the detail, I fear that players might get frustrated.

(-IronMonkey-) #19

awesome screenshots @.@

(ailmanki) #20

Awesome map, I love the sizes … very good…

Its in rotation on B2, but it ended so fast… like 4 mins.
Do not know why, have to defend next time :slight_smile:

Could be part of a sequel to RTCW - fantastic design, idea, and technical specialities.