Dead Allied Soldier Models

(ronboy) #1

I need a model or two of a dead Allied soldier. I browsed through the model list, but sadly rtcw doesn’t have any. All of the custom maps out there only have gibs, not a dead body. I know I’ll need some eventually. It’s for rtcw SP. If anyone could find some, please post a link to it. Thanks in advance.

(Detoeni) #2

This is just off the top of me head, bear in mind I’v not worked with the engine in more than a few years, so I might be way off the mark.
There is the dead agent from the first mission, but i think thats the only one.
If BJ shares the same animation rig as the german solders it might be possable to use his skin…*
If I get a chance I’ll have a quick nose at the game tomorrow and see if I can see an easy hack that can be done, unless anyone else has an idea.

edit - *sorry, scrub that idea, q3 imbeds animation in the mesh, so unless there is anims for that in the mesh already, it cant be done

(ronboy) #3

I don’t need a player model, just a dummy. I was wondering if anyone has made a dead allied soldier model in md3 format. Surely someone has made one for a beach map or something. Thanks anyway.

(Detoeni) #4

in Main/mp_pak0.pk3/models/player/multi are the mp md3 player models. If you look at the wolfanim.cfg it lists all the anims (deaths are at the top of the list). If you move the model and skins (might need a shader as well, I’v not checked that) out of the pk3 you should be able to place it in your map using a props_decoration.
When you release your map, you’ll need to add these bits to your own pk3 for it to work right.
Hope this is more help than my last post :slight_smile:

(BackSnip3) #5

Using Q3 model tool you can export an animated player model in a md3,you can specify just one frame of dead animation and then export to md3,it works but gives no head, you’ll need to add a head with another model(you will easily find those).
But if you want a really specific position i suggest you to export the T position of a player model then use a 3d application to anim the guy as you want and then export to .md3
I can do it for you if you want… :slight_smile:

(ronboy) #6

[QUOTE=BackSnip3;228451]Using Q3 model tool you can export an animated player model in a md3,you can specify just one frame of dead animation and then export to md3,it works but gives no head, you’ll need to add a head with another model(you will easily find those).
But if you want a really specific position i suggest you to export the T position of a player model then use a 3d application to anim the guy as you want and then export to .md3
I can do it for you if you want… :)[/QUOTE]

Sure, you can make me one if you want. I would make one by myself, but I’m new to mapping, and probably would have a hard time fooling around with a model program. It’s a shame no one has already made one for a rtcw SP map. Thanks for the offer. :smiley:

(ronboy) #7

Could someone please help? I don’t need a player model playing a dead animation. I just need a dummy. Medal of honor allied assault has some models, but I don’t think they’re in md3 format. Is it possibe to take the models from MOH, and put them in rtcw?

(vicpas) #8

Ronboy.
Please ask this question on forum http://volfshantse.netorn.ru/forum/ Topic “Mapping”.

(ronboy) #9

[QUOTE=vicpas;228712]Ronboy.
Please ask this question on forum http://volfshantse.netorn.ru/forum/ Topic “Mapping”.[/QUOTE]

I made my account, but couldn’t get the email with the activation code. Therefore, I can’t post on the forum. I’m assuming it’s because my e-mail has capitals in it, and won’t work without the capitals. When I put my email address in, the capitals were removed. In other words, I don’t think I’ll recieve the email. Is there a way the forum will allow an email address with capitals in it?
EDIT: I don’t think it has anything to do with the capitals. Maybe something is wrong with the registration process.

(ronboy) #10

Could anyone provide me with a dead allied soldier model? I just need a dummy; a model. I can’t use the dead german models, I need an allied soldier.

(kat) #11

If you need the model in a spcecific pose then you’re going to have to do what the chaps above mention and figure out how to strip the mesh so you can do what you want.

However…

If you simply want a ‘dead’ soldier in a particular place (but not in a specific pose), what you do is load a normal AI_soldier into the map where you want him to appear, and then trigger kill it using a target_delay, _relay, _kill entity chain. Or you can use a trigger_once brush to kill him when the player gets near the area, that way the body isn’t rendered by the engine when you’re on the other side of the level. Also means you’ll get slightly random placement depending on where/how he falls.

(ronboy) #12

[QUOTE=kat;228901]If you need the model in a spcecific pose then you’re going to have to do what the chaps above mention and figure out how to strip the mesh so you can do what you want.

However…

If you simply want a ‘dead’ soldier in a particular place (but not in a specific pose), what you do is load a normal AI_soldier into the map where you want him to appear, and then trigger kill it using a target_delay, _relay, _kill entity chain. Or you can use a trigger_once brush to kill him when the player gets near the area, that way the body isn’t rendered by the engine when you’re on the other side of the level. Also means you’ll get slightly random placement depending on where/how he falls.[/QUOTE]

Sounds complicated. Oh well, I don’t need a dead allied soldier model that badly. Thanks for the help anyway.
EDIT: How did you get the md3 model of the dead officer in your map Mages Skulls in the 2nd level?

(kat) #13

I had to do what the guys above mention and strip the mesh from the MD3. It’s a long time now but I think I imported the MD3 into Blender (or used gmax somewhere in there) and that got me the mesh I needed, which was manually posed and then re-exported.

The trigger system is pretty simple funny enough, all you do is load up the trigger, ‘connect’ to the AI entity marker and jobs done! Dead AI on load/trigger.

(ronboy) #14

[QUOTE=kat;228906]I had to do what the guys above mention and strip the mesh from the MD3. It’s a long time now but I think I imported the MD3 into Blender (or used gmax somewhere in there) and that got me the mesh I needed, which was manually posed and then re-exported.

The trigger system is pretty simple funny enough, all you do is load up the trigger, ‘connect’ to the AI entity marker and jobs done! Dead AI on load/trigger.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the help. Do I put kill ainame in the script when the player touches the trigger? (sorry for the million questions I have)

(kat) #15

No script needed.

• Draw two brush volumes and flag one as a “tigger_once” and the other “trigger_hurt”.
  • Connect the “once” to the “hurt”
  • Give the trigger_hurt a high “dmg” value (say 500).
  • Connect the trigger_hurt to the AI_soldier

When the player walks through the trigger_once, it’ll activate the trigger_hurt and the high damage value will simply kill the AI.

(trigger_kill removes objects from the game iirc).

(ronboy) #16

[QUOTE=kat;228911]No script needed.

• Draw two brush volumes and flag one as a “tigger_once” and the other “trigger_hurt”.
  • Connect the “once” to the “hurt”
  • Give the trigger_hurt a high “dmg” value (say 500).
  • Connect the trigger_hurt to the AI_soldier

When the player walks through the trigger_once, it’ll activate the trigger_hurt and the high damage value will simply kill the AI.

(trigger_kill removes objects from the game iirc).[/QUOTE]

Thanks Kat. The quality of my maps will be much better. I remember when I made Hell_Mappack for rtcw sp last year. I’m surprised how much I’ve improved in just 11 months. I didn’t know killing an ai via trigger would be so easy. Again, thanks for the quick and helpful replies. :stroggtapir:

(ronboy) #17

It isn’t working, Kat. I did as you said, and the ai isn’t taking any damange. In fact, if I put the trigger_hurt where the player can touch it, the player takes damage. What did I do wrong?

(kat) #18

Hold on… let me double check… brb.

(ronboy) #19

The .aas files don’t have to be used to kill an ai via trigger, do they? I just threw together a test map that has leaks, and no aas files. Could that be the problem? :confused:

(kat) #20

No, AAS doesn’t effect whether AI’s load and use their default behaviors. Hold on… I’m just putting some info together on this.