Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: MOD in progress

Re: MOD in progress

OLD OLD OLD NOTE: This is its model xD

- hitsounds
    ok, that's q3 feature (and sometimes i wish it would be turned off, for example with mines)

- player shoving
    right, forgot about it. but that's not a big deal.. is it?

- opening doors silently
    i think it was possible in etmain as well (i found it out by accident - u have to crouch and press F)

- throwing knives
    it's a weapon, so doesn't really count.

- xp save
    yes, but that's something nearly everybody was missing from the beginning. in many other games (incl cod ) it's standard. i can say that SD programmers were too lazy to do that.

- security fixes, admin control
    like above. fixes should have been done by game makers, admin control would be nice as well, but it's not related to gameplay.

- bots
    worst thing that happened to et scene. if it affects gameplay, then in a bad way. i want to play online to play with people, not with bots.

so.. there is absolutly nothing that really changes the way you look at ET? am i right? it's still etmain with some minor changes? nothing revolutionary, nothing extraordinary, nothing that still would fit world war 2 theme. there are several other mods, with just a little changes, most of them are based on etpub, but they are not popular (ie only few people play them) at all.

that's why i think implementing cod-style system would give a et new 'boost'. if other ppl don't know how cod system works, then i'll try to explain it very shortly.

you can create your own class - choose ur primary and secondary weapon, grenades, and 4 perks (i will use mw2 as a sample). primary weapon is something like thompson/rifle, and secondary - pistol. you have two kind of grenades - frag and flashbang/smoke. perks are simply your additional skills. there are 4 groups of them, so each player can choose his fav class and play it, depending on players quantity, map type etc. the first perk for example is unlimited sprint (unlocked by travelling 42 km), faster reloading (after getting certain quantity of frags) or resuppling from dead players (ie u can pick up ammo to the gun u care atm from players bag - a bit unrealistic, but it's game). second tier is for example increased bullet damage, moving 7% faster, or being invisible on enemy gps. third tier could be increased melee distance, increased hip fire accuracy, or last stand (player is 'proned' and pulls out pistol, u have few more seconds of life). that's just few examples - u could create anything u want.. but that's not everything. u can get weapon upgrades - get a silencer or scope for example, extended magazine etc.. there is so many possibilities, and everyone would find what they like - ie i like to play in silent way sometimes, so i would choose silenced weapons (but then weapon range is reduced), being invisible on enemy radar, and making less noise when walking.

just because it's cod it doesn't mean it wouldn't be good in et. it shouldn't be so so so hard to code it anyway - it would be mostly tweaking certain features of existing weapons. want to add silencer? just make the weapon use diffrent sound files, the models would come later. faster reloading? reduce the reload time (i think it was in .weap file?). scope? copy the sniper weapon attributes, and adjust it. increased damage? edit .weap. i don't see any huge troubles with this, but u should consider what i said.

u don't want to add lua support just because other mods already have it.. ? but they are not perfect, i miss many things. remember, you are making mod for players, not for yourself (if it's diffrent, then why u bother even telling us?).
    Last edited by badman; 8th Jun 2010 at 14:11. Reason: no ripped content please

Another Note: make the FG42 automatic when scoped?

"- xp save
    yes, but that's something nearly everybody was missing from the beginning. in many other games (incl cod ) it's standard. i can say that SD programmers were too lazy to do that."

xpsave is the WORST thing that happened to W:ET imo

"there is many engines based on q3 with amazing features"

nope only one, maybe games/mods, but not engines
    Quote Originally Posted by MistaSparkle View Post
    and every time Nail comes in and ruins it

not so many people want to start the game from scratch. there is a lot of servers with way too high xp save limit, but u can't say it's the worse thing that happened to et. don't u remember the times when u joined a server, and they played last map in the campaign? don't u remember the times when u had to go for a dinner/pick up the phone and when u came back u found out that u were kicked for inactivity? u never felt 'pain' that you had to start from scratch?

"not so many people want to start the game from scratch. there is a lot of servers with way too high xp save limit, but u can't say it's the worse thing that happened to et. don't u remember the times when u joined a server, and they played last map in the campaign? don't u remember the times when u had to go for a dinner/pick up the phone and when u came back u found out that u were kicked for inactivity? u never felt 'pain' that you had to start from scratch?"

nope, only play ETPro

Quote Originally Posted by IndyJones View Post
    - hitsounds
    ok, that's q3 feature (and sometimes i wish it would be turned off, for example with mines)
    If you want to turn off hitsounds completely, there will be a cvar for that in most mods. But only for landmines, no.
    - player shoving
    right, forgot about it. but that's not a big deal.. is it?
    If the server has 10 or more players, people are gonna get annoyed pretty quickly if they can't push away people blocking them. All other mods have it, after all.
    - opening doors silently
    i think it was possible in etmain as well (i found it out by accident - u have to crouch and press F)
    Just tested it in my self-hosted etmain server, and no, it didn't work. Etpro also lists it as one of their gameplay changes.
    - throwing knives
    it's a weapon, so doesn't really count.
    Why not? Weapons is one of the most important parts of gameplay, and one of your main suggestions. But nobody actually uses knife throwing AFAIK, so I'd rather mention things like shotgun, which most mods have, or NQ-unique things like fg42, BAR and venom. (Yes, venom works for regular gameplay if it's not overpowered. )
    - xp save
    yes, but that's something nearly everybody was missing from the beginning. in many other games (incl cod ) it's standard. i can say that SD programmers were too lazy to do that.
    They still need to make it though.
    - security fixes, admin control
    like above. fixes should have been done by game makers, admin control would be nice as well, but it's not related to gameplay.
    Well, the fixes WEREN'T done by SD, so we have to make them whether we like it or not. And even though admin systems aren't related to actual gameplay, they're really important to admins. And after all, serveradmins are the ones who decide what mods they want to use. I don't think the people making this mod will be happy with their mod being used on 1 or 2 almost empty servers, with only a couple of players from these forums, after all the work it has (and will) cost them. So they need something to convince admins of larger pubs to use it, and good admin systems do that, along with high customizability. Imo, the customizability is the main reason why noquarter has become so popular. Good adminsystems also makes it much easier to enforce rules, which is paramount on larger servers. Rule-breakers, cheaters and just jackasses in general, have an amazing ability to annoy people and make them leave. We don't want that.
    - bots
    worst thing that happened to et scene. if it affects gameplay, then in a bad way. i want to play online to play with people, not with bots.
    I agree with that, but a lot of admins will want to have them to keep people when server is empty. Hopefully won't be an issue though.
    so.. there is absolutly nothing that really changes the way you look at ET? am i right? it's still etmain with some minor changes? nothing revolutionary, nothing extraordinary, nothing that still would fit world war 2 theme.
    The things I mentioned were only things that nearly all the large mods support, the individual mods have more features. In nq, that's things like kicking (Kick open doors, kick away grenades, airstrike markers or even dynamites), dropping weapons, weapon clips and objectives, aura skills, and dragging corpses, which all have significant impacts on gameplay. But again, the main reason why nq is so popular, is the vast amount of customizations for standard gameplay available, not brand new features.
    just because it's cod it doesn't mean it wouldn't be good in et. it shouldn't be so so so hard to code it anyway - it would be mostly tweaking certain features of existing weapons. want to add silencer? just make the weapon use diffrent sound files, the models would come later. faster reloading? reduce the reload time (i think it was in .weap file?). scope? copy the sniper weapon attributes, and adjust it. increased damage? edit .weap. i don't see any huge troubles with this, but u should consider what i said.
    For starters, the ability to change things like weapondamage is not there in etmain. If you want to change anything besides animations, sounds and models, you need to install noquarter. However, changing those things in the actual code isn't hard (As long as you know how), so it shouldn't be much trouble. Many of your ideas can be probably be implemented to the current exp system (After ditching expsave, of course!), maybe even into an existing mod using Lua. The ideas are interesting, but if you want everything to be like COD, just play COD. ET is ET.

u don't want to add lua support just because other mods already have it.. ? but they are not perfect, i miss many things. remember, you are making mod for players, not for yourself (if it's diffrent, then why u bother even telling us?).
    I agree with you here. Lua is an easy way to provide much of the customizability that serveradmins will want. (At least those smart enough to actually use it) If they manage to make it ETpro-compitable, that alone will provide a huge array of new features, because of all the scripts that have been written for ETpro. And as someone else mentioned, it provides a way for other people to keep developing it after you've abandoned it. Even if that makes it slightly different than what was intended, it'll make it much more popular, and much more people will be able to enjoy your work. Isn't that what you want?
    Last edited by Undead_fly; 8th Jun 2010 at 11:12.

turning off hitsounds for 'nades would be a better option than landmines

Quote Originally Posted by Nail View Post
    turning off hitsounds for 'nades would be a better option than landmines
    Making a bitflag for both would be even better. Since this is something people are apparently interested in, it could be something to suggest to other mod devs as well (Mostly nq, since all other large mods seem to be discontinued), should be pretty easy to build into their cg_hitsounds.

Most Recent Awards:

Add fireteam missions like if you complete mission then fireteam gets better/stronger armor

I understand and agree with your post, completely!

Please dear Forum users, do not post here if it is not related to THIS TOPIC!!!
    I am not interested in your CoD ripped maps Indy, not even your ideas anymore...

I an please all others, this is not a topic where you are should post **** you hate or dislike!
    All I want is your ideas and suggestion for BRAND NEW FRICKING MOD!

Peace out...

did u ever read ur first post here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shownie View Post
    Hello everyone!

A new MOD is in progress (far from done) and I would really like to hear what you would like to see in a new MOD.

Few info:
    The MOD is based on etmain.
    We do not want to change the gameplay.
    The MOD should be a small MOD, so no NQ like mods

Thats it, would be thankfull for your ideas!
    a new mod is in progress (far from done) - then what is already done? how many % do u think u have completed of the whole mod? what are ur coding skills? how big is ur team? what's the experience of the team? what u were thinking?

"Few info: " - not enough, u have to post much more

"The MOD is based on etmain. " - what does it mean for us? i don't care if it's based on etpub or nq, cause u can add/remove anything from them.

"The MOD should be a small MOD, so no NQ like mods " - then just change the hud (as u have already done that) and voila, mod completed.

the only proper reaction to this post was "what the hell? how old are you?"

people have been trying to tell u that untill u plan (and actually CAN - when it comes to skills and enough free time) do something really (REALLY!) extra ordinary, otherwise it won't gain any popularity. and like i said before, u re making the mod for et community playerrs. if u re doing it for ur friends, then there is no reason to post it here, as it's waste of time. so far i didn't see anything, not even an idea that would make me even like to test the mod.

even if u will add hitsounds (ah, btw - who remember that the hitsound was STOLEN from quake 3? WHO? WHO? now it's on almost every server.. and ppl here are talking about copyrighted content. lol!), and let us disable them for grenade and landmines, i wouldn't test it anyway, because u re missing way too many other features that u are required (for me as player), and u re not even planning to write them (cause it's supposed to be a small mod, not like nq). it's the truth. if it's not, proove it.

Exactly Shownie. We need new things to Enemy Territory. Something unique that is not done yet or needs still improvising. And what IndyJones is offering with the stolen work is not new. People will just say ah this is another COD wannabe and just put it into the trash. We don't need that... That will destroy the community. Originality will bring people back to ET.
    If people want to play modern warfare then GO play that. The world already has a game like that why make another one?

Me and Sage had plenty of ideas but they are rather complex. Though they were going to change the gameplay of a lot. Since we stopped working on it maybe I can share the ideas if Sage allows me but he is on a vacation so It's hard for me to get in contact with him. Calling is expensive around there.

And @ IndyJones: It is stealing what you have done and I already contacted the Admins about it so they can be the judge of it and I hope they agree with the viewpoint of mine... So I won't discuss anything with you until it has been solved.
    Project: Wolf Records
    S&M Mapping - S&M Mapping

Wolf: MP - Blog Of The Next Wolfenstein: Multiplayer

is there a game in the world with good et feeling, but with cod-like rules? where is the game with seperate classes like engineer, covertop, fieldops, with iron sight, and perks aka additional skills (this is something like training your character in diablo)? battlefield? it has classes (but it's not like in et, where u can construct things etc) and iron sight, but no perks.

the answer is no - there is no such game. u just think that there is no demand for it. there will be.

"Originality will bring people back to ET." - oh yeah, a brand new graphic engine, with realistic shadows, blur etc. what have brought people back to et since 2003? maybe crappy 'new' games, but nowadays, nearly nobody is going back to et, 'just cause'. they can play battlefield, call of duty or any other game they wish.. these games are diffrent than et, but they are still very enjoyable!

even look at the maps aspect of et - wich custom maps have gained popularity in last 2 years?
    1. streets of italy
    2. special delivery (te)
    3. supply night (have no idea how it's on the list - u can't even shoot mortar, and it's way too small for more than 4vs4, unless u like to just keep running forward)
    4. marrakech streets night
    and.. that's it? 4 maps, wich 3 of them are just updated versions of very old maps. where is the original content? it looks like it didn't work out, except for streets of italy. history teached us a lesson. now there is a new castle eltz map that has a chance to become a new killer, but only time will tell. i based my info on splatterladder.

etpro (1235)
    jaymod (431)
    etpub (202)
    nq (191)
    noquarter (180)
    etmain (123)
    tcetest (86)
    tjmod 1.6.3 (55)
    nitmod (43)
    omni-bot:etmain (8)
    bobot 04.08 (7)
    domination (6)
    shrub (5)
    shrubet (4)
    etf (4)
    ultraet (3)
    tcetest|gmsm (3)
    bobot-zombies 04 (2)
    etpub_warning (2)
    etpub ec (2)
    osp (2)
    valksfun (2)
    bobot 04.05 (2)
    s4ndmod 2.3.0 be (2)
    east front (2)
    s4ndmod 2.4.0 (2)
    panzerpub (2)
    compet (1)
    omni-bot (1)
    tjmod 1.5.0 (1)
    etsxnt (1)
    etnam (1)
    goldrush (1)
    tjmod 1.3.1 (1)
    parazit-mod (1)
    shard (1)
    falckonet (1)
    rtcw 1.0 (1)
    avp 1.20 (1)
    etpub frag zone (1)
    funquarter (1)
    tjmod 1.6.1 (1)
    main (1)
    wegeinmod_v35 (1)
    pl@n-z (1)
    rtcwmod (1)
    etjbc (1)
    ettjmod (1)
    bobot 04.07 (1)
    s4ndmod-pro 2.4. (1)
    sluxx (1)
    avp 1.2.1 (1)

i have copied (ripped? extracted?) list of online servers with mods (some of them are rtcw servers as well). do u see anything else than etpub, etpro, nq and jaymod? no, but there are plenty of 'small mods' and nobody plays them. it's just a matter of time until you realise that you are not able to make anything that would want the player use your mod. absolutly nothing.

---
    extending the idea of putting some cod stuff (it has to be coded by yourself, as this can't be decompiled etc) - modern warfare 2 has a killstreak. killstreak is some kind of bonus that u earn after having a decent quantity of frags (aka killing spree). as example:
    3 frags - u get a 30 secs uav (it scans the map, for example from north to south and shows enemy on ur radar - u can remain hidden if u use perk that jam the radar)
    4 - care package - player must throw red flare and helicopter drops a crate near that flare wich contain a random 'killstreak reward' - could uav, counter-uav or for example ammo
    5 - random choose from sentry gun (deployable minigun that is controlled by computer), predator missile (u control a rocket that flies from the sky upon the ground).. and the list goes on and on.

the best way is to read the description on wikia - http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Killstreak
    Last edited by IndyJones; 8th Jun 2010 at 11:59.

As I stated before I will not discuss any of this with you anymore. But under your list of custom maps I suggest you to remove Streets of Italy. It's not a custom map.

If you feel like discussing this more please PM me. Let's keep this thread clean and what it is meant for. Originality.
    Project: Wolf Records
    S&M Mapping - S&M Mapping

Wolf: MP - Blog Of The Next Wolfenstein: Multiplayer

we are deducting (is that a correct word?) what to avoid, what would be a nice idea to have in new mod. that's how i see it, if u forget the part with mp_favela and castle.

streets of italy is a custom map. i don't remember seeing it as a stock map. ported or not, custom for et. playable, enjoyable. wich maps would u put on that list? 2 and half year is a long, long time.
    that's 913 days, nearly 22000 hours to produce something innovative.

Most Recent Awards:

the difference is that it's hard to make an original map that is good, takes ages, and with the decreasing popularity of ET, not many people want to put that effort into it.

Porting and updating old maps is so sucessful, since you just take an already working idea and change a few things... That's it.

But really who cares...

Anyway I think it's pretty funny that you seem to be trying to force your idea upon these people like it's the bible or something
    If you like it so much make your own mod? As you keep saying it's not very hard so, take it away batman.

Or just go play cod, since I don't see why you should recreate and already existing game onto an older engine. The only thing positive I can see coming from that is having un 'unlocked' COD since the new version has no dedis and no custom stuff etc, but if you looking for this, then your better off trying to hack/crack/whatever the new call of duty.

Also to your post that the only good reply was bla bla how old were you..... Really?
    Sometimes they say "If you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all"

This is a help forum not a bash your ideas forum

EDIT: Also at your there is no new game with the feeling of ET.
    BFBC2 would be in the line of ET's evolution I think, driveable vehicles (that has been in a mod before)
    4 classes, Assult(soldier), Medic, Engineer, recon(cvops)

Engineer has a repair gun (pliers), medics have revive needle (defrib), and assault can give ammo crate, it looks alot like ET.
    Sure it's not exactly the same, but as I've said before if you were to just make ET with a graphic update not many people would buy it, since people don't REALLY know what they want, they just think they do.
    Last edited by stealth6; 8th Jun 2010 at 12:53.

my porting cod maps i didn't mean to remake mw2 to have dedicated servers etc, i just wanted to feel diffrent gameplay in diffrent game, and that was achieved. in cod people are mostly playing tdm or ctf - in et there is no tdm, but u have some kind of objectives - escorting vehicle, stealing obj etc. this does NOT exists in cod. cod doesn't have 'classes' like ET does. ET requires teamwork in order to win the map. i like the cod create-a-class, but i'd like to play it in et objectives.

i'm not a programmer, so i can't make my own mods. it's the same thing as some people find radiant extremely hard to use, so they can't make maps. sound and gfx artists. everyone has his strong/weak sides. coding is on the weakest

19.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #79

Once again, discussing, posting, or sharing content ripped from other games is a copyright violation and will not be tolerated. Consider this the final warning on the subject.

Let's get this thread back on topic...
    UX/UI Lead
    Splash Damage Ltd
    #splashdamage | Twitter: @stevehessel

even discussion about cod-class system is a copyright violation? how come? in this case, et has content of many many games released before 2003..

implementing cod-classes into et is not possible in any other way but making it by urself. it's like creating a map from diffrent game by looking at screenshots. i don't see how is this possible to be a copyright violation. please explain it more, so we can avoid consequences.