Ai getting stuck on stairs

(ronboy) #1

In my maps, Ai often get stuck on stairs. They do manage to get up them eventually, but they shouldn’t be getting stuck. In escape1 from the retail game, I’ve looked in GTK Radiant at the stairs, and there isn’t any texture that helps AI get up stairs. Yet they go up them without a problem. How can I fix this? Thanks in advance.

(Darkix) #2

You could put a diagonal clip brush over the stairs, so it’s just a slant instead of the stairs. It’ll still look real aswell, as long as it isn’t too much of a slant.

(ronboy) #3

I know what you’re talking about, but I can’t figure out how to make a diagonal brush. I can only make straight brushes, although I have been getting better at making curves.

(Darkix) #4

Make a box that’s the same height and width as the stairs. Go to the side view. Cut the brush in 2 pieces along the diagonal of the stairs.

I can take a screenshot if you need me to.

(ronboy) #5

[QUOTE=Darkix;227618]Make a box that’s the same height and width as the stairs. Go to the side view. Cut the brush in 2 pieces along the diagonal of the stairs.

I can take a screenshot if you need me to.[/QUOTE]

I have the clip brush. Its the same size as the steps. But what do you mean by the side view? The camera view? I am assuming that “cutting” the brush into 2 pieces is manipulating the brush.

(Darkix) #6

Yes. I’ll do a screenshot tutorial for you.

Step 1: Make a clip brush as high and wide as the stairs.

Step 2: Cut the brush at the top and bottom diagonal lines of the stairs. Delete the top and bottom cut brushes, and you’ll have a clip brush that encircles your stairs.

Sorry if I’m hard to understand, I suck at explaining things.

(ronboy) #7

I used the clipper tool, which made my clip brush sloped, but didn’t delete the top & bottom. It shouldn’t be too hard to get AI to get up some simple steps. How did you delete the top & bottom? The clipper tool? :confused:

(Darkix) #8

Press shift+enter when you clip something to split it into 2 pieces. Then you can just delete the brush you don’t want.

(stealth6) #9

just a fyi, but if you want to make perfect stairs you not only need to draw a clip around the stairs, but you also have to make the stairs non-solid, otherwie when you are travelling at speed you can still get stuck on them.

But for this question a clip brush will suffice.

And maybe the stairs in the official map are smaller then yours? (the step height) maybe that’s why they get stuck in the first place

(vicpas) #10

You need to verify the height of the steps in respect to the player.
Ais stucks in high steps.
You can see various steps and ladders on map Escape1.

(Detoeni) #11

http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2729&highlight=playerslick

(ronboy) #12

Thanks, Detoeni. There’s only 1 problem. I looked in the common texture folder, and couldn’t find playerslick, only slick and a bunch of different textures called slip.

(Detoeni) #13

yep thats the problem. There was a change of use for one of the surface flags in q3map2, to fix this you need to make a new shader with the new surface flag.
Use some thing like this:

textures/my_common/my_playerslick
{
	qer_editorimage textures/my_common/my_playerslick.tga
	qer_trans 0.3
	surfaceparm nodraw
 	surfaceparm nomarks
	surfaceparm playerslick
	surfaceparm trans
}

(ronboy) #14

I have the shader, but it’s visible in-game, untextured, and doesn’t do anything. What did I do wrong this time!?

(Detoeni) #15

Did you add your shader name to the shaderlist.txt?

You might want to read through the shader manual, it should be in the main radiant folder (not the one under RTCW) and will tell you most of what you’ll need to get these things working.

(ronboy) #16

[QUOTE=Detoeni;228191]Did you add your shader name to the shaderlist.txt?

You might want to read through the shader manual, it should be in the main radiant folder (not the one under RTCW) and will tell you most of what you’ll need to get these things working.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Detoeni. I’ll get it eventually. Thanks for the help everyone. :slight_smile:

(ronboy) #17

Am I doing it right? I have overwritten the texture “slick” and replaced it with “playerslick”
I have also correctly added it to shaderlist.txt. It opens the folder in GTK Radiant, but the texture is missing. Here’s my shader.
textures/common/slick
{
qer_trans 0.3
surfaceparm nodraw
surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm playerslick
surfaceparm trans
}
I put textures/common/slick instead of textures/mycommon/playerslick because if I put playerslick it isn’t textured. I have the above shader in my textures/mycommon folder. Could someone point me in the right direction? I’m lost now. :confused:

(kat) #18

“Slick” is the correct shader to use for stairs where you have AI troubles. Else you’ll have to set-up the shader Detoeni mentions. You need to be careful with playerSlick though as it can do exactly what you think it does and send the player sliding all over the place when they step on it.

(ronboy) #19

So I can overwrite the slick texture with the shader I posted above?

(kat) #20

You don’t need to. Depending on which version of Radiant you’re using you should have the “Slick” shader available in the “Textures” menu list - “texture/common”. Once they load into the texture inspector you should see it and be able to select/apply it to duplicate brushwork of the stairs.