making/editing terrain/brushes by hand ?

(dwe_flame) #1

i have a cubic brush were i want to lower just 1 corner.
now if i remember correct there were tricks to do this, for example for terrain, but i cant remember the correct way, and cant find the topic either.

any1 can help me out ?

(.Chris.) #2

Split it into 2 triangles!

(dwe_flame) #3

yea :smiley:

got it!

thank you :cool:

(ailmanki) #4

almost magic!

(Diego) #5

Splitting the cube into triangles is of course the best solution. This is just an FYI for those who may not realize it:

If you are using 1.4 radient, you can move the vertex without splitting the cube. It will just add a seam to the center. 1.5 always keeps the top face planar. But this lazy way of doing things (which I am) can really trash the brush if you are moving the vertex extreme distances vertically. The trashing becomes even worse if your brush vertexes are not square in the horizontal X/Y axis and is amplified the farther the vertexes are skewed.

I tend to build with cubes at first and then split any cubes into triangles only when I need to distort them into extreme shapes. Even so, a gently seamed cube brush that may be fine in radient might compile with a slight gap across the seam in radient. Splitting that cube will fix it.

(Detoeni) #6

In 1.4 select a few brushes that this has been done to. Set your grid size to 8, Ctrl+s just incase a brush collapes, hit v to move to vert mode, Ctrl+g will snap all verts back to the grid, run brush clean up and save again, fix any problem brushes that get selected after clean up, repeat the above, then move on the the next lot of brushes. Its an extra step after vertex editing that will help prevent problems latter on. Also only do this with a few brushes at a time (20 or so) or Rad might fall over.