Bumpmapping textures ?

(dwe_flame) #1

well,
i found this small tutorial, http://www.surfacegroup.org/tutorials/bump_mapping/index.html

so i have tryed this, but have the feeling it only makes a bit of inregular shadow on my textures, which i can better just do by making a overlay of a black and white layer in Photoshop.
so bumpmapping looks like useless memory loading to me now for ET?

so i was wondering, are there people using bumpmaps in ET ? or have experience with using this ?
and is this usefull to use in ET mapping ? why yes or no?

(Cambodunum) #2

if i remember correctly diego tried to get it in praetoria … but it was a mess so he didnt used it so far … (i think)

(Scennative) #3

(in german: He Cambo es ist Tag, also Schlaf xD Wennste was geiles sehen willst komm mal kurz in xfire on :P)

(Fluffy_gIMp) #4

If you’re looking for a slightly better bump mapping tool than the NVIDIA plugin, check out Crazy Bump:
http://www.crazybump.com/

(dwe_flame) #5

aber meine deutsh sind nicht so gang gut das ich alles kan versthen :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Fluffy_gIMp;220463]If you’re looking for a slightly better bump mapping tool than the NVIDIA plugin, check out Crazy Bump:
http://www.crazybump.com/[/QUOTE]

let me check that out, thanx

(ischbinz) #6

there is a normal map plugin for gimp, too.
i think this plugin is quite good - with 3d preview

(murka) #7

Bumpmapping requires very high-res lightmap so it’s not worth it mostly. At least that’s the conclusion i’ve come to.

(dwe_flame) #8

ok, this crazybump seems to work way more easy that those PS plugins,

now when saving texture files, it generates 5 tga files.
the website gives me this shader example:

textures/your_map/your_texture
{
   qer_editorimage textures/ your_map/your_editorimage_texture.tga
   q3map_lightmapsamplesize 1x1
   q3map_normalimage textures/ your_map/your_heightmap_texture.tga
   {
   map $lightmap
   }
   {
   map textures/ your_map/your_texture.tga
   blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_ZERO
   }
} 

so now i wonder, here i dont use them all 5, and none of them has alpha channel in it.
is this the correct shader script, or are there better ones to use ?

(murka) #9

You only need diffuse and bumpmap.
Shader looks okay.

(dwe_flame) #10

grrrr, after starting it once, it wont start a second time anymore :frowning:
it only say the loading scree, but never really starts :confused:

(Berzerkr) #11

Other solution would that you only bumpmap the texture itself (but then you have lots of custom textures in your map) or you use a detail texture to fake the effect.
You also can combine both.

(dwe_flame) #12

ok,
tested it, and it seems to be working now :slight_smile:

attached is the example that i did on the map that i have in progress.
i just dropped some walls down, this is not the exact place where it will be used though.

well, now you can shoot in it (the image with your comments, you like it ? hate it ? so on)

(Berzerkr) #13

sniff sniff
Do I smell a CTF map? :slight_smile:

(dwe_flame) #14

[QUOTE=Berzerkr;220525]sniff sniff
Do I smell a CTF map? :)[/QUOTE]

mmmmm nope :smiley:

you’ll see when its done :stuck_out_tongue:
and the When, is well, when its done, its done :tongue:

but the progress of the map can be seen on the forums of my clanpage…

(reaply) #15

I like ctf maps. Even though ET has very few (what a shame tisk tisk) Capturing gold to bases doesn’t count as ctf btw.

(Detoeni) #16

q3map_lightmapsamplesize 1x1

that should be q3map_lightmapsamplesize 1

I realy got to get that tutorial fixed some day :confused:

Have a look at this thread
http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20378&highlight=bump

you could drop the value to 0.0625 with if you realy wanted to.

Best use I’v found for bump mapping has been adding a bit of noise to my terrain lightmaps, any thing else is a bit over the top for et.

(Diego) #17

Yeah, I tried them for praetoria on some brick walls. To get any kind of legible detail in the bump maps, they really need to be a 1-to-1 ratio with your texture maps. Otherwise, they just look like a pixelated mess. It also made my lightmap file usage 40 mb or more. Which of course is too high.

I never tried it with terrain, but with rock and grass you can probably get away with lower resolutions without killing your lightmap usage. However, unless you are really using a very strong lighting source at a nice angle from the surface, you probably won’t even be able to see the difference -particularly with the stock ET textures.

(dwe_flame) #18

yes, well i indeed already got some strange effects where for example only the ceiling seems to work fine, but the side walls seems to have none of the effect as expected :frowning: these walls (and floor) just look like a normal texture sudenly.

so im still experimenting a bit, but more and more i get the feeling its better to just drop this idea, expecially for big surfaces because at some points it works, and others it doenst seem to work.

I like ctf maps. Even though ET has very few (what a shame tisk tisk) Capturing gold to bases doesn’t count as ctf btw.

so what do you mean with this ? than what are good CTF maps you mean in ET ?

(IndyJones) #19

i guess maps where gold model is replaced with real flag.

(reaply) #20

But it is not a flag. Flags make it more fun then gold. :slight_smile: