Nettop: Atom 330 + nVidia ION - W:ET playable?

(nUllSkillZ) #1

Hi,

has anyone tried to play W:ET on a nettop with Intel Atom 330 dual core and nVidia Ion?
Or does anyone know benchmarks covering W:ET on such a PC?

Thank you very much in advance.

(Nail) #2

should be just fine, you can run L4D or Fallout 3
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3509&p=3

(nUllSkillZ) #3

Thnx for the link.

(Nail) #4

np, it looks interesting, just got rid of my old netbook. That one might be good replacement.

(SockDog) #5

Ion2 was launched today, http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/02/nvidia-ion-2-now-official-acer-asus-and-lenovo-at-the-ready/

I’m in the market for a small 10-12" or less portable with discrete graphics to at least do some gaming on the go. If the alienware MX11 wasn’t pushing $1000+ I’d probably get that. Back on more reasonable grounds I might just go with a Viliv and forgo the gaming on the go.

(brbrbr) #6

im vote for new atom+ION2.
and even in case of ARM CPU+ION2, this can give you serious performance.
both because WINE, native port availability and ARM cpu powah :slight_smile:

(nUllSkillZ) #7

I would use Linux as operating system.
So not sure if ion2 would be working correct.

(brbrbr) #8

[QUOTE=nUllSkillZ;216007]I would use Linux as operating system.
So not sure if ion2 would be working correct.[/QUOTE]

so i can assure, you thats ION2 ALREADY working Well. if you mean Linux proprietary support 4 ION2, its matter about two months.
its me tells you, brbrbr, not intel crapo…erm…marketologists.
me and T Sweeney.
http://www.tgdaily.com/business-and-law-features/36390-unreal-creator-tim-sweeney-pcs-are-good-for-anything-just-not-games”
cuz PC is REALLY good for anything, which [any kind of]consumers need.
even if its not based on crappy x86 arch.

other stuff.
GPU power:
http://www.tgdaily.com/business-and-law-features/36410-tim-sweeney-part-2-“directx-10-is-the-last-relevant-graphics-api”
iNtel development&R&D dynamics sucks as it sucks for decades[see Moor “law” inside iNtel internal policies for referece of reason behinds it]:
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/10/12/an-inconvenient-truth-intel-larrabee-story-revealed.aspx

p.s.
intersetingly enough, that T Sweeney revoke initial statements as GPGPU importance as stalemate framework approach as coross-platform, vendor-API-independent VR-Game-Movies development, and throw all PR efforts towards CPU as “about 100 factor time easier/faster than on GPU thru [any kind of]API’s”.
so TS feell/fail on same road, wich hit CryTech, which he critize 4 same, in past days.

(Nail) #9

“Intel’s integrated graphics just don’t work. I don’t think they will ever work.”

had to lol at that

(Slade05) #10

OMG, it`s Basiley all over again.

(brbrbr) #11

[QUOTE=Nail;216042]“Intel’s integrated graphics just don’t work. I don’t think they will ever work.”

had to lol at that[/QUOTE]

but he was RIGHT !!
intel “GMA” GFX was only designed/usable/used for apps-development/debugging/profiling.
for years.
and not intended for any other kind of serious use.
for serious breakthrough on GFX market iNtel need another team, another IP[and investments in R&D. FAR more serious, than today, BS-focused chit-chat PR actions around ray-tracing and etc], and more serious approach “in general”.
thats why iNtel fail in that[cuz they way to NOT serious in biz], which mean GFX market survival.
but sadly, lack of competition dammage GFX market dynamics way more[than acceptable].
but keeping in mind that iNtel!=competition[they just shred and steamroll m/segment, on which they enter, instead compete]. …

“You are Welcome !!” ©

(otakustar) #12

[QUOTE=brbrbr;216026]
so TS feell/fail on same road, wich hit CryTech, which he critize 4 same, in past days.[/QUOTE]

that debate

that’s the results from that fail:

:infiltrator:

(Nail) #13

[QUOTE=brbrbr;216118]but he was RIGHT !!
i[/QUOTE]

yes, it’s funny because it’s true

(brbrbr) #14

[QUOTE=otakustar;216165][IMG]
that’s the results from that fail:[/QUOTE]
scratching my words out of contents , you indicate: 1. not clearly understand what im talking about. and this is some lessons, which CryTech have from Crysis 1 development and related criticizm, before they realize it[by yourself] from competing game design companies and indpendent developers. 2. talking about Cryis MP and Crysis Wars i have to admit that engine and [especially]development tools are well-made[but x64 binaries was delayed TOO long, cuz game rely on acces to big mem HEAVILY for smoth playback on serious GFX settings], but mapdesign and approach for multiplayer concept are flawed and improved unnoticeable over FarCry 1 multiplayer. porting “squad-based camping” game models such as C&H from BF and variations of TDM is … just road to nowhere. 3. show lack of rhetoric skill. 4. become/appear easily provocable[its dangerous appearance/status].

sure.
those “dirty marketoids” inside many companies can promote anyting as anything, whatever designed it for such usage or not[and intel GFX is only stub for development, not anything else].

(SockDog) #15

While this is going off the rails may I semi-hijack.

Opinions.

As PC gaming is no longer advancing as quickly as it used to I’m considering making my next PC upgrade splurge a gaming laptop. Idea being it means I can be a bit more mobile in my gaming rather than squirrel myself away in a room.

So opinions on the Alienware gaming laptops?

The MX11 seems nice, it’s pretty cheap (for a gaming laptop) but doesn’t look too futureproof and is CPU limited on certain games although the GT335m seems capable. However I do like the idea of a small form factor (I can always plug in a larger panel or use the TV).

The MX15 is more serious, offering i7 Quad CPUs and Geforce 260m GPU. This is nearly double the price of the MX11 but I think will be more futureproof. Not sure about lugging this around when travelling though.

Thoughts? Alternatives?

(nUllSkillZ) #16

Some days ago I purchased a Point of View Sydney nettop with Intel Atom 330 and nVidia ion.

My impression:
With lowest details and a resolution of 800*600 I have been able to get most of the time more than 50 FPS.
Indoor FPS are much better.

My screen has a resolution of 1680*1050.
Lowest details wouldn’t be the problem.
But the resolution.
And it also feels “slow” with this small resolution.

Even surfing the internet is pretty slow (depends on the side and if the side is still loading).
I haven’t tested Office that much.

So in my eyes it’s neiter suited for gaming (at least W:ET) nor surfing the internet.
Only my personal thoughts.

If you think about buying a nettop with that CPU/GPU combination you should try to test it beforehand.