way to make Wheels of War autodownload?

(f34n0r) #1

We are trying to make a public wheels of war server with autodownload for the mod itself and also for the maps, but it seems to be failing to download everything, any tips or suggestions?

(Ryan) #2

The exact message when u want to download is:

The server only offers to download some of the files required to connect (4.04 MB). Download anyway?

The server logs say this:

2010-01-21 13:30:59 : sending challenge 0x1648d240 to xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:57323
2010-01-21 13:30:59 : WARNING: client requested an unknown pak 0x22c8788c
2010-01-21 13:30:59 : download for xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:57323: http://xx.xxx.xxx.xxx/Nexus/Core%20Files/wheelsofwar/game000.pk4
2010-01-21 13:30:59 : download for xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:57323: http://xx.xxx.xxx.xxx/Nexus/Core%20Files/wheelsofwar/zz_wow_lang_english.pk4
2010-01-21 13:31:01 : sending challenge 0x5af08635 to xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:57906
2010-01-21 13:31:01 : WARNING: client requested an unknown pak 0x22c8788c

(Scrupus) #3

I think the last version is compiled for QW 1.4, so impossible to run without a new build for 1.5 :frowning:

(iwound) #4

Version 0.2 RELEASED! Partial Changelog:
"Wheels wrote:General:

• clientTeam command blacklists gdf and strogg team names when not in developer mode.
    • added in automatic megatexture download system.
    • ETQW 1.5 compatible.
    • Script source included for custom map content
    • support for wowar_.entities and other options to help custom map makers. Maps:

(Ryan) #5

Any ideas on why the autodownload is only partially working?

(Domipheus) #6

I’ll have to check with the SD guys, but it could possibly be because some of the assets (for the custom music/playlist) is not in pk4 files.

I dont think we actually tested the autodownload stuff, so the way we did the custom music may not be compatible with it :frowning:

(Domipheus) #7

Ive checked with them, and it seems I have completely screwed things up with regard to naming of the game paks.

Files called pak*.pk4 are not autodownloaded, as they are considered game paks, and they obviously dont want the full game to be autodownloaded. Unfortunately I simply followed this convention instead of checking if this was right. The Wheels of War pk4 is pak_wow_001.pk4.

You can try making a copy of your wheels of war dir on the server, calling it say wheelsofwar_dl, and rename this pk4 to wow_pak001.pk4 inside it. Give that a shot to see if autodownload now works.

If this works, it would mean folk will need to redownload from this server the first time they connect, even if they already have wheels of war installed, but this may be ok since I dont really know of any other wheels of war servers online at the moment.

Not a great solution, but it’s kinda the only one I think :frowning:

(Ryan) #8

There is still a problem with the seperate localization folder since it is required to have it.

Packing it into a wow_002.pk4 is not succesfull, therefor I try to pak it in thw wow_001.pk4 and see if it works.

(Ryan) #9

Succes :slight_smile:

It is now fully autodownloadable.

Domipheus, you should release this as alpha 3 or something please…
So that people can download it “officialy”

If u want, I can send you a link to the zipped files which u then can release…

(Domipheus) #10

Can you confirm that the custom soundtracks still work with this method? (there is a tutorial for it on moddb)