Custom Map Nirvana - Reborn

(Scrupus) #1

“Nirvana is the highest happiness” ~ Gautama Buddha

Greetings Alien Scum!! :oppressor:

The time has come to realize that our old home is probably gone, and it is with mixed feelings I start this thread up again. The previous thread was active for about 1.5 years and generated more than 2000 posts, which is pretty amazing - thanks to all who contributed!

A lot of players have visited the Sunday Night events during that time, many of them gone MIA by now, but I know there is still a bunch of hardcore custom players left, so let’s keep moving on, on our path to Nirvana. We lost our homeworld, but we found our Ark - welcome to Nirvana Reborn!
:stroggflag:

Introduction

The Custom Map Nirvana is a weekly event, played every Sunday, where we test out custom maps made for QuakeWars. The primary mission is to test the maps and give feedback to the authors, but the secondary is also to have a time where you can be sure to meet some other custom players online, playing custom only.

The event is open for all QuakeWars players of any skill level, and the atmosphere is usually nice and friendly. Beware that some players here are really uberskilled, not only with gameplay but also with their deep custom map knowledge, so don’t get scared if they own you hard - in most cases the teams balance out nicely by itself, with an equal amount of noobs and pros, so feel free suggest a rebalance at any time - in most cases some pro will move over and help out.

What we play
A lot of custom maps! Here’s a video from AnthonyDa showing most of them:

Where the hell is the Makron?

How to play

The simple way is to just connect to the server and let the client autodownload all custom content for you. This might take a while if you don’t have any of the custom maps installed already, and in some cases it’s simply too much for the client to take in one go. So if you get problems or would like to preinstall the maps first, you can start by downloading and installing this pack first:

Custom Map Pack (1.4 GB)
I also recommend to install the mod we use on server manually, this is currently ETQWPro 1.0c and you can download it here (add link).

Please see below for additional notes and tips.

Where and when

The main event starts every Sunday at 20:00 CET (19:00 GMT/UTC). There is also sometimes a “warmup” around 16:00 CET, for those who can’t play in the evening, or want a full dose of custom action.

The main server is named ICE Custom Map Nirvana, it is running all week long so you can try it out at any time. Server dns/ip is etqw.nett.org/213.236.208.185:27733.

You can also check out this SplatterLadder link to see if someone is online: http://etqw.splatterladder.com/?mod=serverinfo&idx=25364

Other custom servers

There are also other servers running more or less the same maps, which you can try out as well - they may have different campaigns/mods/rules/players or be closer to your network, so check them out as well. Other custom admins are encouraged to submit their servers, and I will add them here. For now, here’s a few:

[ul]
[li]TAW host a bunch of custom and mod servers (currently 7): TAW server list
[/li]
[li][STU] clan server: 195.72.152.110:27737 - ETQWpro and custom maps (map downloads or autodownload). Available configs : Vanilla, Clanbase, or European 6v6 / 4v4 ruleset. 16 slots server running 22 custom maps plus officials, every day of the week.
[/li]
[li]|lulu?|-|spielwiese|-|custom maps|[78.46.87.51:27733][(ProMod 1.0c) CUSTOM MAPS ONLY] - Open 24/7. meetings at 20:00 each friday Paris Time. Get all files here: http://custom.lulu-wg.net/
[/li]
[li]Awesome Dudes, ETQW Custom 188.40.91.149:27733 - Files here: http://zauberpony.com/etqwfiles/custom-pack.zip
[/li]
[li]Team-Aero Pro:Pub Server ETQW:Pro 1.0c - 88.159.160.153:27733 (TV-server available) (Potential Scrims? Contact Channa for EU or Stymy for NA)
[/li]
[li]ICE Dusk Mod [a8-pre11] http://etqw.splatterladder.com/?mod=serverinfo&idx=38848 - no custom maps but running the quite popular Dusk mod - aka Zombie mod
[/li]
[li]ICE Brace Mod [a3a] http://etqw.splatterladder.com/?mod=serverinfo&idx=43079 - no custom maps but running the Brace mod - aka Duo mod.
[/li]
[li]The Happy Friar’s QWTA 3.3 http://etqw.splatterladder.com/?mod=serverinfo&idx=43095 - no custom maps but running QWTA Mod aka Tactical Assault
[/li][/ul]

Notes

*If you don’t have ETQWpro, it will download and install the mod automatically. Be aware that ETQW will use default settings for new mods, so if you have specific binds/settings in normal ETQW they will not be automatically used for etqwpro. So you either have to set them again, or include your config in an autoexec.cfg in the etqwpro dir. Your normal settings is NOT reset - they are only missing for the new mod! This is how ETQW mods works, and the same will happen for any other mod. Same for PunkBuster - it has to be enabled again for any new mod. Just enable it and type “reconnect” in the console if your PunkBuster is disabled.

• When you connect, the client will restart twice. This is unfortunate but normal, and you will get used to it. On the other hand there will be no more restarts when the campaign is running, except when the client have to download missing files, or when the server has just started.

• If the terrain is black after download of all maps, it could be a config problem that may affect low-res configs. Try to set your config to normal or higher to see if it helps. Also check if you have the custom megatexutures in your megatexture folder (should normally be there automatically after first play of a custom map

More later - let’s meet up tomorrow, and have some fun!

:armadillochase::oppressor:

(Susefreak) #2

First things first: Thanks again Scrupus for making all of this possible! It’s been the longest standing custom event in Quake Wars.

Personal servers:

TAW|The Artists Of The Battlefield| EU Tactical Assault I & II - Official Map rotation running QWTA in mostly Vanilla setting with the extra goodies from TA. Tuesdays and Sundays likely passworded due to TAW internal events being hosted here. The rest of the days it’s free to go
86.88.123.160: 27633 and 86.88.123.160:27833

Other TAW servers offering custom content:

TAW|Artists of the Battlefield|EU Public Custom Maps I - QWTA server with custom map rotation
88.159.160.153:27735

TAW|Artists of the Battlefield|EU Public Custom Maps II - ETQW:Pro server with custom map rotation
88.159.160.153:27736

TAW|Artists of the Battlefield|NA Ranked Custom Maps I - QWTA server with custom map rotation
70.32.38.218:27734
(server stats are tracked on hannes his tracker)

TAW|Artists of the Battlefield|NA Ranked Custom Maps II - ETQW:Pro server with custom map rotation
70.32.38.218:27737
(server stats are tracked on hannes his tracker)

For the ETQW:Pro competition players running the official EU 4v4 and 6v6 configs the TAW competition team(Team Aero) offers a Pro-Pub server

Team-Aero Pro:Pub Server ETQW:Pro 1.0c
88.159.160.153:27733 (TV-server available) (Potential Scrims? Contact Channa for EU or Stymy for NA)
////////////

Again to create interest for the custom content I would like to give attention to mods that aren’t played still/anymore. For this I will host a server with the mod for 1 or months and then switch it over to another one.
Potential mods will be:

• StupidQW
  • Brace
  • Dusk
  • Wheels of War (if still playable under 1.5?)
  • 1v1 maps with either QWTA or ETQW:Pro tweaked for a more Quakish gametype
  • Any future mods or ones I missed:eek:

Now it’s time to test some of those smilies::goliathspin::icarus::armadillo :

(Donnovan) #3

Great! I was waiting for this Nirvana from a long time ago!

Huba! Huba! Huba! (Hope this is not a nasty word in any language :D)

(hozz) #4

Awesome, Scrupus!

@Susefreak:
Tell me a server runnig StupidQW any time and I will join.
Does it even work without melting your internet connection? :smiley:

edit:
‘Nirvana Reborn’ is quite an interesting concept in general :stuck_out_tongue:

(WhiteAden) #5

thanks for keeping the servers up and updated! thanks for all you’ve done Scrupus… wish I could join in, or create a final for my semi-released (gave it to Seanza for testing) 1v1 map Patio… =(

but I’m stuck here, without the files, without the tools and without the internetconnection I want :frowning:

being a Student in Residence SUCKS!

(panickin) #6

[QUOTE=hozz;206496]Awesome, Scrupus!

@Susefreak:
Tell me a server runnig StupidQW any time and I will join.
Does it even work without melting your internet connection? :D[/QUOTE]

I agree with hozz on that, would love to test this mod out

(Violator) #7

Nice one scrupus :slight_smile: Would be good if the old Nirvana thread could be found an imported though. As for StupidQW, yes lets do it though it may turn your modem into a steaming pile of slag.

(mondmann) #8

just for completing your list.

|lulu?|-|spielwiese|-|custom maps|
[78.46.87.51:27733]
[(ProMod 1.0c) CUSTOM MAPS ONLY]

open 24/7. meetings at 20:00 each friday Paris Time.

get all files here: http://custom.lulu-wg.net/

thanks nirvana for inspiration, thanks to all custom map designer gods, thanks to splashdamage for this forum.

(Scrupus) #9

Great to see you, added lulu and TAW servers to the list :slight_smile:

Vio: I found the cache and tried to recover some of it, but it’s hard to navigate via cache, and some of it is painful to recover (eg. the links). Hope we can get at least an archive version of the old forums back up again…

(Donnovan) #10

Server have shutdown after BaseRace.

Any chance to bring it on again Scrupus? Are you here? :stroggtapir:

(.Chris.) #11

Reminder about Baserace, dont let map end without winner, it causes crashes when there is a draw, that’s why we where voting for more time…

(Scrupus) #12

Ouch - server restarted! I’m back in game in about an hour.

(.Chris.) #13

Regroup for 7pm start?

(-iWi-) #14

[QUOTE=mondmann;206553]just for completing your list.

|lulu?|-|spielwiese|-|custom maps|
[78.46.87.51:27733]
[(ProMod 1.0c) CUSTOM MAPS ONLY]

open 24/7. meetings at 20:00 each friday Paris Time.

get all files here: http://custom.lulu-wg.net/

thanks nirvana for inspiration, thanks to all custom map designer gods, thanks to splashdamage for this forum.[/QUOTE]

great ; lulu is cool, I’ve spent some nights there to playing ETQW .
keep on :wink:

(shirosae) #15

7PM regroup sounds good.

(Donnovan) #16

Yes Chr1s.

(-iWi-) #17

I’ve realy enjoyed this afternoon at NIRVANA CUST. MAP .

SCRUPUS was strong as always, Susefreak and shirosae too !
My bullets was blind. :(:rolleyes:

(AnthonyDa) #18

:smiley:

Another viobug found :

(light_sh4v0r) #19

Server was empty when I checked :frowning:

(Susefreak) #20

Lol, I was bugged half of the time.

Nonetheless had a good night, pitty I had to leave early, but women also need attention too.