Siwa Oasis

(Aristotle) #1

I had heard from somebody that this map has been ported over for QW and is working. Anybody know anything about it?

It may have been a TAW member I heard talking about it, but I’m not too sure.

(Susefreak) #2

Yeah you are correct, yet it’s not it a decent state yet.
It has been ported by TAW|Numberobis.

If you do want to take it for a run:
This is the map
This is the mega

Again it’s pretty buggy

edit:
We had a run on the Nirvana server and everyone came to this conclusion.

(Donnovan) #3

What is the map problem?

Problems are on gameplay or tech/performance/visual?

I played this map on Nirvana, but i was so “Zombie”, due to tiredness, that i really was not able to judge it… but liked it! :smiley:

I remember people mostly talked about the “hack the portal” objective. Match was stuck on this objective for a long time, but fail match can be, also, players fault.

A good start, for the mapper, is search for Chris comments about it :):):):):):slight_smile: :magicpony:

What he said about?

(murka) #4

There are uncountable ammount of technical bugs and gameplay is… like objectives placed randomly on one flat plane of grass and then teams fight.

(Scrupus) #5

QW Siwa was pretty interesting IMO, but some issues are probably best to fixup before next test.

btw you linked to the wrong files susefreak - tower! :wink:

(iwound) #6

He said its a piece of [censored] and the [censored] who made this [censored] should be [censored] continually until his [censored] fall off.

well thats what i recall anyways. or did i just make that up.

its not the oasis we knew thats for sure.

(murka) #7

One can’t/shouldn’t port a map over like that, gameplay is totally different. Just look at how Chris did radar, resize, complete remake, adding buildings back in altered state not copying over, using stock textures and not copying over, similar obj yet converted to match etqw gameplay.
This map pretty much went 180degrees in the other direction.
I’d suggest taking it apart and starting over, can’t really save it in its current state. I know how my 1st map went, i knew it couldn’t be saved so i started over.

(Aristotle) #8

I was looking forward to playing it, but after reading some of the reviews here I am having second thoughts about it. I really had hoped it would be good as it was one of my fav maps from ET.

Also, not sure if anybody has noticed or knows (perhaps a SD guru could shed some light) but on Slip Gate to the left of the main GDF base, you know back behind everything where nothing ever happens, are those sparse buildings and such remains of the Siwa Oasis?

(Susefreak) #9

Links fixed

edit:

I have some of chris’s comments:
Map…

• is not even Alpha Stage
  • has balancing issues
  • shouldn’t be released, force the creator to redo it
  • needs to get the sounds fixed, that german guy it really annoying
    O and one from a taw guys, who usually runs his game at 200FPS: What only 30 fps on the last objective?!!!

(shagileo) #10

Woah, sounds interesting. Are there any screenies of that map available?

(.Chris.) #11

Not sure why my comments are so important but anyway basically my thoughts on this map at current release are as follows:

The layout is fairly poor, it doesn’t appear any consideration towards gameplay was took when the new areas were added, they seem to exist soley to make the map bigger but by doing so creates way too many possible routes making it extremely hard to get a proper defense going, what’s even worse is that attack can run all way around and plant on other side of barricade to plant but with no ‘team door’ present you cant diffuse it without spawn at the back spawn which is just madness.

The build stage is just crazy, wide open flat ground with all the cover on the defense side making any would be engineers easy pickings, combine this with the defense spawn been close by and you get very hard to complete objective which is made even worse by fact it’s a two stage construction. Only chance attack has is the defense get’s bored and pushes out to capture the forward spawn back and happens to get killed on full spawn leaving enough time for engineers to cross ‘no mans land’.

Last stage again is poorly planned, forward spawn 20m away from the objective and defense spawn under the objective, doesn’t take genius to work out that is stupid, last stage is just lemmings.

In a nut shell, the map needs a huge overhaul and should stick to it’s routes rather than trying to reinvent the wheel.

You mean Slipgate?

There is a water pump next to an oasis and a ruined building near by.

(Aristotle) #12

[QUOTE=chr1s;206140]

You mean Slipgate?

There is a water pump next to an oasis and a ruined building near by.[/QUOTE]

Yes, not sure why I said refinery, I’ll go correct it now :rolleyes:

(Donnovan) #13

Susefreak,

TAW|Numberobis know about the problems people found in his map? Never saw him online. You is his messenger? :slight_smile:

(Susefreak) #14

I’m the message boy indeed. Numberobis is currently moving so that explains why he hasn’t been online