Plea for better support for game server Administration

(Soul Beaver) #1

I wrote a program that that finds and monitors game servers on the internet. In addition it has basic rcon functionality for Q3/RTCW/HLDS servers. But, for HLDS I have ability to provide full access to the server’s console information by relaying the consoles log information via the server’s “logaddress” cvar.

I BEG you to please implement something in the server to help admins monitor and control their server. Being able to execute basic rcon commands just isn’t enough.

I am a server admin and it’s so important to be able to see all of the chat information in the server. I know that Q3/RTCW based servers can generate logs (that’s pretty common), but could you please add the ability to send that log information to a specified IP address as well like Valve’s HLDS servers do? It should be simple enough to add a cvar to set the IP and then just send a copy of the log data to that address.

I tried running a RTCW server for a while and I got frustrated with trying to admin it, so I took it down. This simple feature would make all the difference in the world to me.

Thanks,
Terry (Soul Beaver)

(Captain) #2

I must admit - I would find the ability to monitor chat remotely a huge advantage in my role as server admin.

Please consider adding this - or at least make it possible as a mod or suchlike - Any way we can get this feature would be great.

thx

(Captain) #3

Btw Terry - I am currently a HLSW user - may well try out your proggy for rtcw and see how I get on with it.

You get in Irc much?

UPHAPPY on quakenet - Holler me sometime.