View Poll Results: Would you like female characters?

Voters
118. This poll is closed
  • Yes

71 60.17%
  • No

30 25.42%
  • No opinion

17 14.41%
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Reconsider Female Characters!

Red face Reconsider Female Characters!

I recently saw an interview video where there was confirmation that female characters would not be present because they would "take away" more hair styles, clothing and so on from the game, thats just a really bad excuse not to include them.

Of course this is splash damage's game and all, but I just don't buy that, games like Saints Row 2 have hundreds of different hair styles, clothing and other customization options for both genders as well as having a big, seamless world, its very possible and this game does it very well.

In the interview, there was a hint that female characters could be added as DLC, which would be great, but why not do it from the start?

Im interested in this game a lot, specially to play as a Medic character, but why must I play as a dead brain steroid gorilla all the time? Why is it that having female characters in a FPS seems to be the exception and not the rule? Its time for shooters to start including female characters, it adds more options than actually taking them away.

Its nice to play a game where you can choose the character you want to be, it gives it a more personalized experience and makes you care about your character and how they look. Even games like Gears of War are starting to consider the inclusion of female characters because there is an audience that wants that. Epic's earlier Unreal Tournament series had female characters and still does today.

Please reconsider this, if not during development (which I think its late now) at least for DLC.
    Become that rule not another exception.

Looking forward to your thoughts, thanks.
    Last edited by SPC. Angseth; 8th Dec 2009 at 09:55.

Re: Reconsider Female Characters!

You would essentially have to double the resources spent on character modelling. And comparing it to Saints Row 2 is not really fair either, those models are largely 'sand box' leaving you to do shape the eyebrows etc, in Brink everything is rendered by artists.

Looking forward for BRINK Gatos's Avatar
    Most Recent Awards:

+1 for chicks on the brinks

Well they have almost a year now. So bring the chick to the fields SD. Should be fun to tbag them.

Most Recent Awards:

there will be females with future DLC

no, but, yea, maybe... i havnt thought about it yet but since i read this post i think its a loss to not have females ingame.
    It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, its what it is, ok?
    Keep that in mind at all times. Thank you. - Bill Hicks
    sysprofile

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6

I'd love to see female characters in Brink too - I think we all would! In fact, we did explore female characters in our early concept art

However, given the realities of development, we had a choice between having a wide range of options for male characters, or a much more limited set of clothing options that allow for both genders.

We figured it would be the best use of our time to have a big set of quality customisation options for males instead of less and lower quality for females and males.

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #7
    Most Recent Awards:

Also, you'd practically double up on animation (women move noticeably differently to men) doubling up on the production of animations, and the memory footprint for that.

There's a lot of things you don't consider at first.

Most Recent Awards:

maybe modders can do this later if the game is opened to the modding community.

Quote Originally Posted by MoP View Post
    I'd love to see female characters in Brink too - I think we all would! In fact, we did explore female characters in our early concept art

However, given the realities of development, we had a choice between having a wide range of options for male characters, or a much more limited set of clothing options that allow for both genders.

We figured it would be the best use of our time to have a big set of quality customisation options for males instead of less and lower quality for females and males.
    Thanks for this reply, I still hope this is taken into reconsideration if not with the release of the game at least with DLC, although I doubt it too since that would require a large amount of extra content and assets, so I really don't expect it to happen. Hopefully we can see these concept designs for them in the future and see what they could have been

Its a bit sad really, seems like more and more games that involve shooting only consider male characters while females are given the boot.

The developers in Crackdown said something similar, that they couldn't implement females into the game because the characters you controlled were "super cops" therefore a female wouldn't make sense...well, thats why there are female super heroes their built like bricks as well while still looking pretty.

I guess there is also, still, Lost Planet 2 that does have both genders as well as customization for them.

So since females are pretty much out of the question then, I expect the customization library to be really large and varied...
    Last edited by SPC. Angseth; 8th Dec 2009 at 17:14.

tbh, what mop said is completely different from what you said of crackdown. I don't honestly care if the game has both genders except of course if the females are the usual ridiculous gravity defying half naked chicks and have smaller hit boxes..
    Last edited by BioSnark; 8th Dec 2009 at 17:45.

"insightful quote" - famous dude.

Most Recent Awards:

Also females require a lot more polygons.

Quote Originally Posted by BioSnark View Post
    tbh, what mop said is completely different from what you said of crackdown. I don't honestly care if the game has both genders except of course if the females are ridiculous gravity defying half naked chicks and don't have smaller hit boxes.
    Well I guess yea, Im just making a statement however, that females in shooters seem to be excluded pretty constantly, almost making it look like its a men's genre only.

How nice would it be for a shooter to take all the expectations out the window and feature a female only cast, now that would be a nice change.

Quote Originally Posted by stealth6 View Post
    Well thats true and most likely will happen.

But for us Xbox 360 and PS3 owners were pretty much screwed, unless of course its included as DLC which I highly doubt, but Id love it if I was proven wrong.

Most Recent Awards:

maybe SD could do a competition once the game is released for some prize, for female characters and then release the winners work in DLC.
    wouldn't be that pricey, but effective? and gives the modding community a push.

or not make it a competition and just if some cool models are released used them as DLC, like TF2 has used custom maps.

I don't think it's just the female models that they're concerned about, it's the vast amount of customisable options they should have that needs allot of work.

I wonder if the people who want female characters would accept the 20 - 30% loss in strength, stamina, hit points, etc. that would be also required.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistaSparkle View Post
    and every time Nail comes in and ruins it

Quote Originally Posted by SPC. Angseth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stealth6 View Post
    Well thats true and most likely will happen.

But for us Xbox 360 and PS3 owners were pretty much screwed, unless of course its included as DLC which I highly doubt, but Id love it if I was proven wrong.
    This was tried with ETQW and just ended up as a long discussion with varying levels of maturity, given the much larger task it would be to do this in Brink I doubt anyone would bother. Here's the thread if you feel like wading through it. Still, Brink might attract a larger modding community if the game and tools are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Nail View Post
    I wonder if the people who want female characters would accept the 20 - 30% loss in strength, stamina, hit points, etc. that would be also required.
    People seem quite happy to accept similar losses for choice of body type.

Quote Originally Posted by Nail View Post
    I'm sure it takes an equal amount of bullets to kill women in real life.

Maybe that's one for Myth Busters.

"People seem quite happy to accept similar losses for choice of body type. "

in that case there's benefits, with the 30% loss in speed and strength, I see no advantage, you'd be smaller and slower with less capabilities. You gonna play with that kind of disadvantage, just to have tits ?

Quote Originally Posted by tokamak View Post
    I'm sure it takes an equal amount of bullets to kill women in real life.

Maybe that's one for Myth Busters.

no, it doesn't. Smaller structures take a higher percentage of damage per hit