head+weapon bob - new trailer

(kilL_888) #1

hi,

FINALLY you guys released some ingame footage of brink.

i liked the leveldesign very much, like in the rest of your games :slight_smile:

what really annoyed me though was the head+weapon bob. it very much reminded me to the mirrors edge bob and mirrors edge is the only 1st person shooter i got motion sickness of.

take a look at good ole quake3 and just copy the bob and weapon behavior and your on the right track :wink:

i also reckognized you pushed the release date to fall 2010 :frowning: bit of a downer but im still very much looking forward to your game.

maybe beta in spring 2010? :slight_smile:

keep it up.

(DarkangelUK) #2

I believe i mentioned the bobbing a while ago, and it was said that the release used for demo show offs had over exaggerated bob and would or had already been toned down quite a lot.

I’m pretty sure most, if not all of SD has played Q3 (and other games) and know what bobbing is like in those :slight_smile:

(tokamak) #3

What the hell is this guy talking about?

(xXHugDangerXx) #4

[QUOTE=kilL_888;202391]hi,

FINALLY you guys released some ingame footage of brink.

[/QUOTE]

Did they?

Link plz

(zXSwordXz) #5

I found this
http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/2009/11/30/brink-gameplay-footage-debuts-brings-news-of-delay/

An yes, the OP is right. The bobbing head/Weapon looks weird. Look like the character is robo cop. :slight_smile: I’m a bit disappointed that its coming out until fall 2010 but hey, if you guys need more time to make it right, by all means do so. I can wait, I rather a fully develop game rather than all these half a$$ incomplete game that hit store shelf. Good luck and looking forward to see more of this game…

(tokamak) #6

I LIKE the head bob so far, no idea how it turns out while actually playing. But this is cool, it could even be another indicator how much your spread will be.

(Brandmon) #7

@ weapon bob, yeah it’s a bit off going up or down at such a rate while walking. But as Darkangel stated, its definitely exaggerated. Don’t have any problems with anything else but won’t judge much until I actually play the game.

@ Fall 2010 release date, ah well. I’m a person who prefers a finished game rather than a game rushed to a deadline and I hope the delay was just so the game would be on the safe side of being finished and not a new deadline. Anyway, I will have to wait till Summer to get my new PC so I definitely won’t mind that delay at all. I just hope there would be a closed beta to give some of us a chance to whine :slight_smile:

(DoubleDigit) #8

I’m disappointed in this:

• movement speed is low, you just increase fov a bit when running to give a ‘faster’ feeling.

• head bobbing is annoying.

• shadows have ugly jagged edges and are distracting. This might be an indication of some high hardware requirements… I don’t like that.

• no fire fights action shown…

• Smart behaviour looks good though, that alone should make for some frequent memorable moments. It can also make every other game out there look dumb.

I’ll keep an eye on it in the future, but not with high hopes. Something tells me I’ll find the fire fights very disappointing.

:frowning:

(stealth6) #9

I hope you can still move manually :stuck_out_tongue:

(Rahdo) #10

For the E3 demo, we were kind of cheating and had a medium sized guy (so the demo could use a wider range of weapons), but with small body climbing (so we could show more climbing). So don’t judge that video as final movement speeds :slight_smile: And the same is true about that crazy pistol bob, which has been fixed (also, our shadows are much smoother now too, though Arnout would have to go into all the fancy details about how and why. I just know they’re not ugly anymore)

And don’t worry, the smart button is 100% optional. As has been mentioned here in the past, if you prefer to jump/sprint/slide/crouch/climb/vault manually, you can do so, in some cases to slightly improved effect :slight_smile:

(ZernoK) #11

http://g4tv.com/videos/43021/Exclusive-Brink-Preview/

Another video with some actual gameplay, I’m getting excited now. :stroggbanana:

(stealth6) #12

[QUOTE=ZernoK;202417]http://g4tv.com/videos/43021/Exclusive-Brink-Preview/

Another video with some actual gameplay, I’m getting excited now. :stroggbanana:[/QUOTE]

oh man that looks really awesome!

EDIT: watched it a second time a bit more critically and started wondering how making maps is going to work out hehe, the levels looks incredibly detailed :open_mouth:
Wonder how hard it’s going to be to make a nice map :s

(Bezzy) #13

Yep. Don’t confuse head bob for gun bob. As Richard says, that’s the E3 demo being show there: in that version, the gun running animation is playing back full speed any time you’re moving, regardless of direction and speed.

By now they’re all synched off the same parametrics, so everything fits together.

(kilL_888) #14

[QUOTE=Rahdo;202408] And the same is true about that crazy pistol bob, which has been fixed

[/QUOTE]

well, its not only the pistol bob. its the head bob thats even more annoying and could be a problem for people who easily get motion sickness.

i hope at least you guys keep the console in so that i can alter the bobbing, like in any other id powered game.

you know, it will be the small things that make a game fail. and for me the particular bobbing showed in the video was such a small thing.

btw. this is no whine. this is more of a fan screaming, HEY, plz change this.

(Nail) #15

PC gamers will have usual console plus dedicated servers, ToyBox and PoS3 people will have their usual poo

(tokamak) #16

[QUOTE=Rahdo;202408]For the E3 demo, we were kind of cheating and had a medium sized guy (so the demo could use a wider range of weapons), but with small body climbing (so we could show more climbing). So don’t judge that video as final movement speeds :slight_smile: And the same is true about that crazy pistol bob, which has been fixed (also, our shadows are much smoother now too, though Arnout would have to go into all the fancy details about how and why. I just know they’re not ugly anymore)

And don’t worry, the smart button is 100% optional. As has been mentioned here in the past, if you prefer to jump/sprint/slide/crouch/climb/vault manually, you can do so, in some cases to slightly improved effect :)[/QUOTE]

Suddenly the reluctance to release any video material becomes very understandable. If you had to put so many disclaimers on everything just because people see everything as final, you didn’t get to making the game any more.

(DoubleDigit) #17

Guess I was too quick to judge. The first video doesn’t do the game justice.
In the second one I can see stuff I really like:

• furious action
  • RAGDOLLS!!! and bodies being thrown around by explosions
  • just one weapon used without the ironsight, there is hope for me yet
  • free running

Can you guys show some pc action? Sick of these videos made on consoles…

(tokamak) #18

Also cue on the new combat system.

From what I see. Hitting someone in melee knocks the person over, then this person needs time to get up before he gets finished off.

(zXSwordXz) #19

The video from G4TV said it will be release in spring 2010. So, is it confirm for Fall 2010 or Spring 2010?

(badman) #20

The new release date is Fall 2010. The voiceover for the video preview was recorded before this was announced.