Player model criticism

(BackSnip3) #1

Hey guys I’ve made some models for ET using Lightray3D.I’ve been helped by Ischbinz for exporting so thx :stuck_out_tongue:
Here is one model,I have not a lot of ideas,so give ideas if you want to change the players into something fun :slight_smile:

So here I want to know if you like it,or not.:rolleyes:

(stealth6) #2

why don’t you try to make maffia gangsters :smiley:
or hippies with the wide pants and tank tops and stuff
or a rambo headband.

few ideas for ya!

(shagileo) #3

Hehe, that’s looking nice and pretty funny :slight_smile:

There you have it, stealth6 got some good ideas for you

(BackSnip3) #4

[QUOTE=stealth6;200828]why don’t you try to make maffia gangsters :smiley:
or hippies with the wide pants and tank tops and stuff
or a rambo headband.

few ideas for ya![/QUOTE]
Thanks for giving multiple ideas,I will try all of them :slight_smile: The mafia gangster should not be too hard,hippies could be crazy:wink: and I will try to make a full rambo :slight_smile:

(ailmanki) #5

the lightining on that model is bad… I hope that can be fixed.

Looks good… I can already see all the communities/clans making their custom skins for these models… lol

(Wezelkrozum) #6

I like the shoes:tongue:

(ischbinz) #7

i like your model
btw i like it more - it stands on my truck :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

but it need a baseball cap instead of a helmet :slight_smile:

(BackSnip3) #8

Using the allied medic texture and ET head.
The top polygon amount is now 852 for the shirt,301 for every arm(+ 72 polys for that rambo bandage),+ 722 from the head if you want to count it so it makes a total of 1526(2248).
I’ll try the other possibilities later.Becuz tomorrow is the come back to school :frowning: and I’ll be there only the week-ends during 6 weeks.

(carnage) #9

Nice model. Not many custom player models in ET, you have to share how you got it in.

For criticisms your arms defiantly need some attention. The section past the bicep is very thin and the elbow looking perhaps a bit to large. The forearm seems to be a fiar amount shorter than the upper arm.

In the in game shots you seem to have quite a few lighting artefacts on the models. Since et models are vertex lit this is probably because you have quite a few stray vertices from the rigging. You will probably find that your rigging works better and is easier to perform if you keep the mesh topology cleaner. Don’t have any particularly good example on hand but…

http://www.katsbits.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=3;t=20;st=260 look for the wire frame character pictures

The other thing about the topology is that is that you don’t seem to have considered what areas require more detail/pollys. I would definatly reduce the number of pollys around the shirt and torso where the shape is quite simple and their isnt much deformation from the animation. Then spend some extra pollys on the hands and joints in the wrist/elbow/shoulder to get a smoother animation in those areas

But aside that nice model, keep posting updates

(aaa3) #10

i’d reduce 'em everywhere .P (except the hands its ok there)
(i mean the vertices & faces. your mesh in it’s current state looks terrifying ^^)

but besides that i agree it looks very nice ingame. and carnage is right about the proportions of the arm. maybe the most visible is… elongate the lower arm to the expense of the wrist and hands, with keeping the overall length the same.

(BackSnip3) #11

Well the lighting artefact comes from the bug that there are 2 suns in ischbinz map lol.I could easy notice it because some shadows where just invert of others.The fact is that there are a moon light AND a sunset light.Makes bug on every model :wink:

(BackSnip3) #12

Carnage and aaa3: Thx for posting :slight_smile: Tried to do what you said about arms and elbows and optimised the shirt.Result is good for the 35 % optimisation but still it’s all weird triangles in every way:confused:

Looking for a way to transform that hair with polygons,found a solution but still need a good texture of hair…:rolleyes:

The mesh is maybe polygoned in a confused way but I am sure it will be better animated than previous one under the elbow, and better lightened I hope :slight_smile:
I should make a try with just a .md3 file just to see how it looks ingame :slight_smile: Will edit the post later to show ya.

(BackSnip3) #13

Can’t set more than 8 images so new post, and sorry for triple posting.
So here is how it looks using a .md3 file.

I’m goddamn happy of the lighting,it looks perfect for me.:stroggbanana::stroggtapir:
And yes with the md3 the guy is a bit small and having free style no pants :slight_smile:

(IndyJones) #14

is that a skate park? :wink:

(Pegazus) #15

Looking good.

(nukits) #16

Nice models btw :stuck_out_tongue:

(BackSnip3) #17

Yes it is:wink:Funny to play with gravity 500 :slight_smile:

(carnage) #18

You have dropped a few of the unneeded verts but you still need to go a lot further. You have a triangles on the shirt that are roughly the same size as the triangles used to add detail on the mask of the face. As a general rule this is very bad. The face is a much more detailed section and as such should have a much more detailed topology than the simpler parts of the mesh

The other point I made that you haven’t really picked up on is that the topology is still very messy. You want to do your best to keep edge loops where possible to keep the animation smooth, im struggling to find a single edge loop. The image I attached should show a rough idea of what I would expect. Its quick and dirty bt should give you a better idea of what I mean

You should notice that the shirt triangle size is much larger and more regular. Also the pollys run in nice rings around the arms and torso to keep some nice clean edge loops

(nUllSkillZ) #19

Very impressive.
Very good work.
There are only a few mods that change player models.

(BackSnip3) #20

Carnage:I modelise for 4 years with the program and I knew that rule omg.But understand that you are asking to redo the all model,and I couldn’t do in another way because at the begin I had 5000 polygons for that model,so I used prefabs to optimise it.I am now trying to do this but my first model was made of that rule,it ****ed up the normals and it looks very crap.And I hate the way you want to make it,it just makes the model low polygon,ugly arms with 6-7 polygons of circonference,same for torso.If the model works well with animations I’ve got no reason to change it at all.:rolleyes: