ET, Radient, and Windows 7

(Diego) #1

Has anyone tried ET and/or radient with Windows 7? If so, did you have to use the Professional edition with XP mode? or will it work with the cheaper Home Premium edition?

(twt_thunder) #2

hope it works better than vista…can’t get any of them to work properly
:(:(:(:frowning:

(Miki) #3

I’m running vista… My ET runs just fine thunderpwn, my Radiant trough has to be run in xp mode and sometimes some weird white spots appear. Didn’t try win7 yet but I did order it (to get rid of vista, since win7 is just better in so many ways. ) So I’ll let you know as soon as the DVD arrives :slight_smile:

(twt_thunder) #4

et is no problem…it’s the gtradiant…

wich are you running? version?

(ischbinz) #5

i have windows7
runs fine
you have to run radiant as administrator - otherwise you ll have trouble with compiling…
but its the same with et itself - you have to run it as admin, too.
btw i don t like the style of windows7

(Diego) #6

Haven’t really seen much of windows 7. But my computer is 6 years old now and it’s getting hard to find any new games that will run on it. I can do a budget friendly upgrade and end up with a system that is a lot more powerful than what I’ve got. But I’d still like to at least finish the map I’m currently working on for ET.

(stealth6) #7

well I’d say wait a few more weeks, se what other mappers say, I should be transferring soon so I’ll be raging if I can’t play ET anymore (or map)

(Avoc) #8

Just got my new comp with Windows 7 (can run Crysis beautifully :stuck_out_tongue: ) but I will need to see how ET and radiant run. Hopefully it won’t be a painful process.

(Diego) #9

Just a quick update to this topic.

I just built my new computer this weekend with Windows 7 Professional. Both ET and GTK Radient 1.4 work fine. I haven’t tried editing and compiling anything yet. But Radient will open a .map file without any trouble. I’m not even using the XP compatability mode yet. Hopefully, I’ll be able to get back to mapping soon. Still got to make sure all of my other tools work on Windows 7.

(Nail) #10

Thanks. please keep us updated

(valkyr) #11

Does it save though? - That’s the issue people were having with 1.4.

1.5 works for me without compatibility mode / administrator. The only problem I’ve encountered is a mildly annoying bug that causes the 3D window to become corrupted every so often leading to the need to quit and restart. I’ve yet to try changing some of the preferences though, so it might be fixable.

(stealth6) #12

[QUOTE=valkyr;202348]Does it save though? - That’s the issue people were having with 1.4.

1.5 works for me without compatibility mode / administrator. The only problem I’ve encountered is a mildly annoying bug that causes the 3D window to become corrupted every so often leading to the need to quit and restart. I’ve yet to try changing some of the preferences though, so it might be fixable.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think this is windows fault, I’ve had this on my old XP computer, I think it’s something to do with your graphics drivers or graphics card.

At the time I was working with a ATI X1950PRO

(Diego) #13

I’ll test the saving capability tonight. My last video card was an ATI X800XT. I’m currently running dual Radeon 5700.

(valkyr) #14

[QUOTE=stealth6;202353]I don’t think this is windows fault, I’ve had this on my old XP computer, I think it’s something to do with your graphics drivers or graphics card.

At the time I was working with a ATI X1950PRO[/QUOTE]

On an X1250 here and it seems that switching hardware texture compression from “none” to “S3TC DXT5” has sorted it…

(Diego) #15

Ouch. This IS a problem. 1.4 will not save. It keeps saying no brushes are selected. But even trying to save selected brushes fails. 1.5 gets an assertion error when it tries to save so it does nothing either.

(valkyr) #16

Spoke too soon. It doesn’t fix it.

(valkyr) #17

Try NetRadiant. I’ve just switched over and it’s working great so far, with a bit better performance, new features, a newer Q3Map2, and a generally more stable feel than 1.5. It seems to be updated fairly often as well (last release was in October) whereas development on GTKRadiant 1.5 has stopped and ZeroRadiant isn’t getting anywhere very fast.

(Diego) #18

I installed the netradient. Not sure if this is going to work. It doesn’t exactly support ET. What are you doing to make it work? It does load and save files, but I’m not sure if other things that it needs in the ETmain diretory will be working correctly.

(valkyr) #19

Yeah, it doesn’t come with ET support built in. You need the ‘et.game’ and ‘games’ folders from the Radiant ET game pack.

I’m not sure where you could find a single download package of that… which is one of the reasons I’ve put together a map development pack (select it from the menu).

Download and extract it, and copy the files in the ‘radiant’ folder to your NetRadiant folder and everything in ‘etmain’ to your etmain folder.

(iDan) #20

ET runs ok, problems with PB getting kicked off some servers, other than that ET runs good.

GTK is another story, the 1.4 will not save the map nor will it find the pcx file of any map. 1.5GTK seems to work fine but with few little errors.

Get 1.4 run as admin and set the GTK folder permission to allow editing by all.

Also use a fresh install of et for example C:/ET instead of program files, since if you go 64bit it puts in 32bit (x86) program files and GTK hates it for some reason.

Remember to disable UAC.