clanwear in Brink

(dohfOs) #1

First off all, sorry if this post should’ve gone under the general Q&A-thread or the suggestion-dito. But for w/e reason I was afraid it might just blend into the mass that way.

Anyway, I read that you (Splash Damage) have an intent that the players would be able to define a clan wear in Brink. Which sounds awsome, but I for one would really like to take this one step further, so here’s my suggestion or thoughts.

In ET:QW you were able to create a clan, this should (and I allready guess that’s your plan) be in Brink aswell. The Clanleader should also be ablte to create a clanwear, either just a shirt, or shirt/trousers (which, from what I could read was the intent I earlier spoke of). But, what you guys also should look on are a few selected more things. First off, the clanleader should also be able to make an “reserve-kit” which could be used if two teams with the same colour faces eachother. Talking about colours, you should also try to not have too many colours in the actual clanwear-selection. When making your completely own wear for public (mp or sp) then fine, you should be able to use pretty much whatever colour you like with any hue/tone/shade you prefer. But just to make sure a light blue team doesn’t have baby blue as their reserve kit you should just use well, “the normal colours”. Just look at hmm, football teams and you’ll notice there aren’t that much variation in colour tones. Clanwear should be rather “simple” if you understand how i mean, not “too much” (and perhaps not too little either). And even though black and grey are both nice colours I’d say, leave them out on clanwear. Atleast it feels like a black (or grey) team would have the upper hand playing a red in case blending in with the surroundings.

So, a clanleader should be able to make a “first-kit” and a “reserve-kit”. What team who has to pick what kit if the teams can’t agree on it will be sorted by the various future leagues or cups I’m sure. You have to put that much trust into the community :slight_smile:

Also, you (Splash Damage) should be able to make 2 “scrim wears” which every player should be allowed to select, whether in a clan or not. For when people play mixes, pickups and such, perhaps just the basic colours such as blue and red (or the SD-colours orange and green might be more appropriate and sexy).

Just some thoughts. I had so much more on my mind yesterday so I shoudl’ve written this post by then but I didn’t. Confident I’ll come back and add some to this one though :rolleyes:

Hopy you understand how i mean, if not, please ask :stroggbanana:

Cheers

(.Chris.) #2

Wouldn’t every clan with a bit of brain just pick whatever colours blend best with most of the maps?

Personally I would rather they be no customisation on clothes what so ever, its an fps not a barbie fashion sim.

(tokamak) #3

[QUOTE=chr1s;199876]Wouldn’t every clan with a bit of brain just pick whatever colours blend best with most of the maps?
[/QUOTE]

This would be true for desaturated coloured games like GoW and CoD, but if you look at what’s happening in brink the colours are so divers this won’t really be much of a problem.

It might actually be contributing to the gameplay, if you know your appearance fits the surroundings then you behave differently than when your colours clash. Either way, no matter what colour you chose, you will always be a fish out of the water in some maps.

(Floris) #4

Another idea related to clothes and scrims: allow players to force specific opponent and team clothes like you can force specific player models in Quake. Don’t forget to make it controllable through the in game menu. If needed it could be tied in with the “scrim mode” I’ve heard mr. Ham talk about

(.Chris.) #5

So far I’ve seen orange/brown and white predominately used in the released media, so aside from a different colour set from the games you mentioned it’s pretty much a similar affair in regards to been able to take advantage of the overall theme by picking similar colours and shades to that of the maps for a uniform.

(Rahdo) #6

on the topic of clans all showing up to the fight wearing the same colours, i would point you to Olivier’s comments in the thread about his dev diary

the color restrictions in the palettes we’re using for each faction

:slight_smile:

(dohfOs) #7

[QUOTE=Rahdo;199897]on the topic of clans all showing up to the fight wearing the same colours, i would point you to Olivier’s comments in the thread about his dev diary

:)[/QUOTE]

i see. u wrote somewhere that “basically the intent is for clans to be able to define a “clan uniform”, and when you’re representing your clan, you’ll be wearing that instead of your own customized outfit combinations.”

does that mean that clans define their “clan uniform” for each faction, or is the whole clan uniform-thing being ruled out?

a uniform for each faction with a different palette would be an easy way to go around that problem with similiar colours so if that’s the case then fine.

but imho, u should still (at SD) make some sort of scrim clothes (for each faction) :>

(Rahdo) #8

Jury’s still out on the whole thing, I hate to say. It’s definitely something I’d love to do, but it’s also on the wish list instead of the task list at the moment, so I can’t promise anything (gotta get the game solid first). hopefully things’ll come more into focus in the next few months on stuff like this…

(dohfOs) #9

well, i understand why. it’s more of a feature thing rather then something that improves gameplay and the actual game itself, even though it would be a nice feature idd :slight_smile: so hope you implement it sooner or later.

guessing it’s something like f.e. hannes could add in a mod (if he fancy the idea). but it would be nice if it was to become a feature out of the box rather then something that’s been added by a mod.

anyways, thanks for your replies so far, appreciate it :slight_smile:

(Mustang) #10

I’m really looking forward to all the customizability options in Brink
But a set of “scrim wear” for each faction sounds to me a fair suggestion
And one that would most likely be adopted by any leagues

(Nail) #11

the ability to add a custom armband (colour & logo) would be enough imo
with dedicated servers it should be easy

(tokamak) #12

So which would you chose? White or orange brown?

(.Chris.) #13

erm, both?

(tokamak) #14

You mean you will be changing your colours on the go?

(.Chris.) #15

Orange/brown shorts, white shirt or other way around…

(DarkangelUK) #16

The airport terminal looks very blue, you’ll stick out like a big orangey browney thing there :smiley:

(.Chris.) #17

Then clans will make alternative colours to suit that map then.

Point is just do away with this crap for matches (I would personally do it for whole game), have everyone same default colour and job’s a good one.

(tokamak) #18

I don’t think camouflage plays a big part here or in any shooter I’ve seen. If there was vegetation you might have had a point, But there simply isn’t any, from what I’ve seen the maps are either bright or diversely coloured (red and blue containers).

So the cons of any suspected advantages are really minor, and they’re very hard to apply.

(tokamak) #19

Okay Paul Wedgewood during the demo “I’m going operative so I think I’m going to have a slightly darker set of armour and combat face paint”

With other words, do whatever you like.