Fooling master list

(tjimboo) #1

Been looking in the master list showne when chosing play online and see 4-5 server that just has no info but seems like they got 50-60 players on. Looking at server info just shows a IP and if u try to connect u will be redirected to another server and u will get to the same server from all this “fake” servers. how is that done, just curiouse as i personaly think its a bad trick just to get players. if all servers did that what would then be the use of a master list?:eek:

(Qualmi) #2

i can remember about 1 year ago there was a server which renamed from day to day and it seemed that it was very popular. but to me it was suspicious so i never connected. behaviour was always the same: renaming everyday, always 59 out of 60 online, all had ping 0. but one day the behavoiur changed. suddenly all 59 players had ping != 0 and i was like oO. and if you ask me then my neurotical brain always alerts at those servers. i think its a very tricky way to insert trojans into your pc and create quiete powerful botnets, but only a suspicion. i even thought about writing a email to someone who would take this server out of the masterserver, but i didnt know who i should write this.

(tjimboo) #3

well dont think its to install any strange apps or viruses more to fool players to connect. on the attached pic the first 4 servers all have same IP 75.125.237.218 with different ports (1085, 1086, 1087, 1076) and they all redirects to the 75.125.237.218 on default port 27960.
As i run server myself i find it anoying that do this that only reason is to “trick” players to their server so that suggestion to block on browse list sounds tempting :slight_smile:

(Qualmi) #4

can someone pls check this server here:

looks like the one i mean. if not, then sry @ serverowner ^^ probably he will rename it tomorrow. server also not listed in sl, so i cant imagine why there are so many ppl online at this server.

edit: lol. it already has renamed. its now this here:

any explanations. could be that its totally legal, but for me its a bit strange. why renaming all the time. i dont get it. ip is the same. its always 84.167.190.21.

edit2: renamed again.

oh jea. im such a good spy :smiley:

(tjimboo) #5

guess that could be easy done to change name by having that in ur maprotation script and just add different sv_hostname each map. What port was this cause its not on default port.

(Qualmi) #6

default is i guess 27960. am no serveradmin but this is what i see the most. but why would you need the portnumber. i guess you can set it to almost every port anyway. last scans resulted in 2 different portnumbers, 27320, 27618. so i guess it changes randomly. really strange server. and its online almost a year. dunno whats this all about. maybe someone wanna connect and tell me ? ^^

(tjimboo) #7

dont be stealing my tread now :slight_smile:

(Qualmi) #8

ups. sohry ^^

(zbzero) #9

This is a fake server and its shows in all patches i check it on 2.55 and 2.56 and in 2.6b, i see that server in the first time in the 2,56 patch becouse there have a small list of servers and try to connect there, after that connection i got big problems in my et so for work again i need to delete the files downloaded from this server to may etmain, this server provide some bad download, and i really dont know what is include om it but be carefull not connect in this servers they are fake servers!!!

(zbzero) #10

look the pic of the server:

(ZeusBBA) #11

What your looking at is the work of a low life clan/group called LZ. ( in reply to tjimboo pic and post ) They are not only faking servers they are using names of the most popular servers, not exact names but just close enough to fool people, including our servers, they rotate them around regularly but as noted here, they are all bs and simply ghost redirects.

We tried contacting them to have them remove our likeness and let them know what a crap practice this is period to which they had little to no worthwhile replys. With this they left us with the decision that anyone who would be associated with a group of scum are themselves pretty much useless too so we allow no LZ to play our servers.

Their fake servers all show a gray ping when I have looked for them.

I would think their would be a way to block their servers from the master list and if so, would love to see not only the ghost IP’s blocked but their real ones too. :wink:

(hellreturn) #12

[QUOTE=ZeusBBA;199290]

I would think their would be a way to block their servers from the master list and if so, would love to see not only the ghost IP’s blocked but their real ones too. ;)[/QUOTE]

You can talk to “Syncerror” (via IRC) at irc.quakenet.org #idsoftware channel.

He can fix your issue. But I highly doubt he will help you because I contacted him last time when some low life scumb admins where using our same ditto name and he didn’t do much.

Give it a shot may be he will listen to you. :slight_smile:

(ZeusBBA) #13

[QUOTE=hellreturn;199344]You can talk to “Syncerror” (via IRC) at irc.quakenet.org #idsoftware channel.

He can fix your issue. But I highly doubt he will help you because I contacted him last time when some low life scumb admins where using our same ditto name and he didn’t do much.

Give it a shot may be he will listen to you. :)[/QUOTE]

Their not using our exact name, just something close enough to fool some. My real issue is the same as tjimboo, the fake/non existant servers with false player numbers to use as redirects, if even half the current ET servers did the same, the entire master server list would be absolutely useless as it would be full of ghost servers all redirecting somewhere else. I dont believe this is the way that SD intended for the redirect to be used but indeed abused.