DotProduct2 Alpha Fade problems

(Pande) #1

I’m doing dotproduct2 (finally, I put it off for too long lol) in a map I’m working on and ran into some problems:

There, I am using the examples from socks website.

Essentially, the cracked mud near the building and objects is a texture. the moss is the dotproduct moss.

All seems to be working in that the primary texture, moss, appears where I put the fade brushes for 0 percent, but then where I put the 100% ones I get what is in that screenshot.

Anyone know why? I know the alpha of the image is sort of remblant of that but that shouldn’t be causing something like that. :o I hope to god it isn’t that my graphics card can’t do it…

anyway, here too is the shot of radiant. Purple = 100% alpha fade brushes, white = 0%

edit: also, the mud texture appears just a bit all over the moss texture, but kinda transparent and whatnot. It gets more evident near ground. What REALLY annoys me though is the lack of control it seems, I really need a tutorial that explains this more because no offense to sock if he reads this but his tutorial is VERY vague.

(Pande) #2

ok, mega pissed now… Socks works fine when i recompiled his maps, so like wtf did I do wrong… I layed them out the same, used same alpha fades… I even tried moving vertices here and there and varying amounts to see if that changed it.

what I want is simple:

flat sand to be blended into a street texture.

setting is in egypt.

(ailmanki) #3

If I am not totally mistaken, you need to inverse, so at the border 0% and the inner part >0%.

AFAIK:
If you have 100% the blended texture will be shown 100%.

In socks example I think he has 2 textures along, which both have a blended texture.

But I am unsure, from you radiant picture, it looks also like both have a blend.

Else , but I guess that is not the case, func_groups do affect which brush gets the alpha fade properties, so if those are grouped together it affects only those brushes inside the group. Might be usefull if 2 brushes are touching - but need different alpha value.

edit: and lastly, I think that alpha fade stuff is new, so you need an appropriate version of q3map2, but I guess you have that - as you say in socks example its working…

(th0rn3) #4

the alpha blend is only made for vertexes which are in the % brush. And as I see you havent put it on vertexes.

(Pande) #5

they are ALL on verts. :slight_smile: look at ortho graphic.

(Pande) #6

Pinpointed: making the terrain into a func_group AND the poles a func_group caused the problem.

You can have either 1 or the other as a func_group, but not both.

Ah well, can’t win everything. I will choose to have terrain as group. :slight_smile: Because I can hide all but translucent and then select poles easily if i need to, but cant do the same with terrain.

A note to sock: you put func group suggestions everywhere to ‘save time for selecting’, but as it turns out that can ruin the results and frustrate users like me :slight_smile: very easily, if you read this please put a warning in your tutorial.

(ailmanki) #7

I think that was a ‘feature’ which has been add after sock has made the tutorial. Beside that, in newest q3map2 is some stuff which is not mentioned at all, in socks tutorial.

(merlin1991) #8

since the trucecombat forums are down I can’t find the link to the ressource where I got the information from, but there it said that alpamod brushes who are in a func_group only affect the vertices of brushes in the same func_group.

ah I found it:

FUNC_GROUPS

The type of blending used within this section of the tutorial relies on the use of func_groups within radiant. Func_groups are used to group brushes together within the editor, both for convenience, and in this case, to determine which alpha fade brushes affect which sections of terrain Alpha fade brushes will only affect terrain blend shaders on other brushes within the same func_group. This is particularly necessary in this section because there will be overlapping areas of terrain, but which need to be affected by different alpha fade transparencies. Each different set of brushes with a blending shader will be part of a different func group.

source: http://szicovii.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1

(aaa3) #9

off- what is the on-screen kb for? :slight_smile: ok i guess to click with mouse, but then that what for?

(kamikazee) #10

[QUOTE=Pande;190568]Pinpointed: making the terrain into a func_group AND the poles a func_group caused the problem.[/QUOTE]As Merlin1 said, either make them into one big group or don’t group them at all.

Or is that what you tried? In that case I might be wrong…

(nUllSkillZ) #11

Which version of q3map2 are you using?

(Pande) #12

I don’t have a print screen button, hence the on screen keyboard. With mac BootCamp, it was rebinded because of that and I havn’t been arsed to RTFM and find said rebind. Oh, and 2.5.17.

(aaa3) #13

yeah, see, ty :slight_smile:

(strong##) #14

Pretty nike shox nz Shoeshttp://www.zh1group.com/sort.asp?sort_id=14Beautiful classic nike shox shoeswhite blueBeautiful women nike shoesCheap nike air max 360 shoeshttp://www.zh1group.com/sort.asp?sort_id=18Cheap Classic air max Jordan shoes

(Pande) #15

Thanks strong##, that fixed my problem entirely! i.e. I vented off on a bot instead of a person :slight_smile:

In other news, all alpha problems fixed.

(TomTom7777) #16

So how did a spam bot fix your alpha problems, I am curious how you fixed your problems…

(Nail) #17

best not to reply to spam, their posts get deleted

(Pande) #18

true dat.

anyway, “I vented off on a bot instead of a person” was how it fixed ‘problem’. lol