Animations are damaged in rtcw SP

(sd2009) #1

Hi,

I created a complete single player level for rtcw. After adding certain brushes, md3, and other objects the animations of the gun fire, the flamethrower, the closed eyes of dead AIs, and the hits are replaced by strange textures and shader effects or their standard shader effects are deactivated or missing. Who knows what is the cause of this strange engine behaviour? If I remove a substantial amount of objects and recompile, the bsp result is a normal one that functions properly.

I noticed this behaviour in a downloaded custom map in the past. I do not remember which one though.

Thank you for any help.

sd2009

(Detoeni) #2

'ave a look at this, it may be of help.
http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8115&highlight=lightmaps

(sd2009) #3

Thank you a lot Detoeni. Your link was excellent. I just recompiled with the option -nocollapse after the -light option and voila. The strange forms disappeared. The animations are the clean standard ones of rtcw SP. Now I have completed the second rtcw SP map and I am proceeding with the third and the fourth. By the way I am using your pretty Opel Blitz in my second map. I did not find your email to ask or thank you. This is maybe a convenient place to do so. When I used your email at hotmail I received the feedback stating that the ID is not available or known.

(abcd999) #4

we commits to supplying fake Collection Beach Handbags from the highest quality, at the lowest Cheap price,fake Collection Beach Handbags Wholesale Cheap Collection Beach Handbags Fake.providing the greatest service and satisfaction available! Try an order today and feel the fake-louis.com shopping experience!

(vicpas) #5

Hi, sd2009.

How is your work in making maps SP for RTCW?

(sd2009) #6

Hi Vicpas,

The work is excellent. I made a lot of progress in the last three months, since I had time for RTCW. Two maps are complete, three maps need only some ai modifications still to be classified as complete or at least ready for testing, and four new maps are in the development phase. I cannot publish all of them though. I either need to modify some textures in order to avoid the complaints of some people. The drawback is that the textures that create the eye candy for the player will downgrade the value of the maps. My new worlds are replications of real things that do exist. Their owners might probably object.

I played your map thefortress yesterday, I saw a lot of damaged textures and animations. This could have a relationship with the -nocollapse option during compilation. Did you try it? It is possible that you put a lot of entities and models inside the map (the map is overloaded). I switched to the vertex option under system but it did not help me either. I shall try it with another computer since I experience strange things with my laptop that do not happen on another computer.

I see also now that my screenshots of the night scenes are a bit dark. The lighting should be enhanced with some ambient light maybe. On the laptop they look fine. The brightness of some screens differs from others. The quality is not that high to reduce file size.

(vicpas) #7

Hi, sd2009
Thanks for reply,
The Fortress was my first map and i made many errors in his structure, because i did not know the RTCW forums and the better mapper called Kat.
After The Fortress i made one SP mappack called The Fortress 2 (http://returntocastlewolfenstein.filefront.com/file/The_Fortress_2;116916 and i corrected several errors made in the first map.
Now i am working in the new Russian project called The Victors “old The Winners” (http://volfshantse.netorn.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=2696)
I helped other authors to finish their projects:
1-Arkot_Mappack made by Arkot 24 and me.
2-Clonewar_Village made by Flipmode and me.
3-Escape From Castle Wolfenstein made by The Pirate
4-Arkot_CastleKeep made by Arkot 24
5-Normandy made by Henry Sheppard, Vladimir Vovstein and me.
I brought from Russia and i shared on internet the SP maps and mods listed bellow:
01-Map Battle.
02-Addon Ghost of War
03-Map Gorge
04-Addons: Operation Trondheim Trilogy(Special Forces, Red Alert and Iron Cross)
05-Map Kicha
06-Mod Pharaoh’s Curse
07-Mod Project 51
08-Map Rocket
09-Addon Saboteur
10-Mod Stalingrad
11-Addon The Enemy Castle
12-Addon The Rate is More Than Life
13-Map West Castle
14-Map West War
These released were sent for me for my Russian friend AlexDOK and their reviews can be looked at:http://returntocastlewolfenstein.filefront.com/files/Return_to_Castle_Wolfenstein/Maps/Single_Player;454
If you need something, post your problem here and i hope that you don’t give up to finish your project.
Good Luck and Have a nice day.

(sd2009) #8

Hi Vicpas,

Thanks for the offer to help. I shall post problems if it looks almost helpless for me to find a solution. By the way, I tried your map TheFortress 2. It is much different and better than the first one. The damaged animations disappeared completely. I see a big list above. You are a powerful engine of motivation.

(vicpas) #9

Thanks for your kind words.
And don’t forget that for us the RTCW is forever.

(gr8) #10

dear vicpas,

i saw your video on youtube…it is really great

do u have any idea if your “victors” modifications (weapons…graphics…etc) can be fitted to rtcw multiplayer and how…

i have neither the basic programming knowledge to tell you the truth…

nikolas (athens, greece)

(.gohstkilla.) #11

wow :smiley: :armadillochase:

(vicpas) #12

Hi, gr8.

Until now The Victors Modification will be only for Single Player Mode.

(aarenlainey) #13

Well i have seen all of you video and i also like it very much. But do you have any idea that how can i fit into my computer & in my multiplayer. I don’t have any idea about it. If you have than please share it with me.

(bradsmokes) #14

sounds good to me :stroggtapir::stroggtapir:

(vicpas) #15

Hello RTCW’s fans.
Please, about The Victors video, place your commentaries on topic The next Russian Modification SP for RTCW.

(sd2009) #16

Vicpas,

This is release 2 from my map. It contains less detail to suppress the shader overflow bug. The shaders and textures are not damaged any more but the map lost a villa, a few houses, a few cool restaurants, and some eye candy of md3s and ase models. Look at the old release. I attached a few screen shots. The sound track in the background gives the map an overwhelming atmosphere.

(ronboy) #17

[QUOTE=sd2009;231849]Vicpas,

This is release 2 from my map. It contains less detail to suppress the shader overflow bug. The shaders and textures are not damaged any more but the map lost a villa, a few houses, a few cool restaurants, and some eye candy of md3s and ase models. Look at the old release. I attached a few screen shots. The sound track in the background gives the map an overwhelming atmosphere.[/QUOTE]

What a shame. Don’t you just hate limitations in mapping? I sure do. And no, I’m not being saracastic.

(sd2009) #18

You are right. It does not please me a lot to be forced to remove all the cool things that I created, because the limitations of the engine do not allow us to go beyond its de facto boundaries. Creating a nice map does not mean that you can play it. The compiler does not tell you during the compilation procedure that you will have trouble later on. During the game play, you will see very nasty and very bad surprises. With some maps, I saw that some mentioned limitations (by looking at the compiler logs) did not apply for my map but nevertheless, I was not able to suppress the shader overflow bug. It seems that there are side effects caused by the amount of models, brushes, and shaders that you put in the map. Without them the map is too flat and boring. Consequently, I add the basic things first, I compile and test, then I add more eye candy gradually and test. This increases the value of the map slowly without sudden bad surprises.

(ronboy) #19

That’s one excellent reason to not get close to the limitations. That’s why my maps are small. People just don’t understand how limited the game engine is. :rolleyes:

(vicpas) #20

Hey Guys.

To make maps SP for RTCW is a great challenge, not discouraged.
Remember that the Russian mappers made great addons as Timegate and Project 51 and they not quit in the face of limitations.
Then don’t give up and Good job.