how to add bots with fritzbots

(viktwaar) #1

hey you guys,

i am making a map for ET wolfenstein, and now i want to add some bots

i’ve downloaded fritzbots and planted in my Enemy territory folder.
when i start ET i can select the fritzbot mode. i open my own map via console.

but then i don’t know how to add a bot. i’m in my own level with the fritzbots mod, but i don’t now how to add a bot.

before fritzbots i had bobots but that’s crap.

please help, greetz viktwaar

(th0rn3) #2

Never heard of those, but afaik all bots need to have waypoints. Do you have waypoints set for your map?

(viktwaar) #3

i don’t know what waypoints are, so i guess i don’t have them. can you explain?
do you need them with fritzbots or with Bobots?

(shagileo) #4

I can remember that Fritzbot or bobot (gotta check that out) gave some tutorials on how to make such waypoints. I got to warn you, they’re pretty complicated and take a lot of time to create.
So go to the Fritz/Bo Bot site and search for some tutorials. You can also try to download some sample waypoint files to understand the world of waypointing a bit.

(TomTom7777) #5

Waypoints are not as complicated as mapping, and once you understand waypointing you can play with bots after one evening of adding some waypoint nodes and action hints. Waypointing involves creating 2 files. One which you create inside the map with a waypoint editor. The second file is a script file controlling what the bots will chose to do as the match evolves.

FritzBots are fairly easy to do on basic maps, but supporting vehicles levers/buttons, etc are advanced topics and will take more learning and time. There is an extensive English wiki(username wiki, password nospam) and forum where you can PM me.

(th0rn3) #6

^ AbovePost too short…

(viktwaar) #7

this is all very helpfull.
thanks.

but i get this error too.
when i try to spawn a bot in my map (/addbot timmy)
i get this: can’t add bot - no path file available!!

what does this mean?

thanks in advance

greetz viktwaar

(TomTom7777) #8

The path file is the .nav File you create with the in-game waypoint editor. It defines by nodes and connections where the FritzBot can go to get to objectives. It also defines the action that the bot wil do at an objective. This wiki article shows a birds eye view of the nodes and connections.

If you want to just have the FritzBots go around and fight you need to create a .nav file with navigation nodes, connected together and a small number (2 or more) of roam actions placed alongside the navigation nodes.
You also need a FritzBot aiscript file with the minimum 5 lines;

bot_SightDist 1700 //how far the highest skill bot can see on this map

spawnflag_is_priority  0 //should bots focus on spawnflags?

cmdpost_is_priority  0 //are cmdposts critical on this map?

construct_is_priority  0 //should engs focus more on constructibles

map_has_vehicle  0 //does this map have a tank or a train?

The first line is important otherwise the bots run around so nearsighted they hardly fight. As last I read Bobots shoot at anything within 4000 units by default making them very hard to deal with. FritzBot ET sets the distance normal bots can see by the aiscript so they can be more human especially on foggy maps. Values are generally good between 1500 and 2000, with a few maps needing larger values.

Oh btw if you have created a .nav and see that error when you reload, check that sv_pure = 0 and if not set it and try again.

(viktwaar) #9

you can make an AIscript with the fritz waypoint tool, right?
and in wich folder do you have to save your AIscript?

(TomTom7777) #10

aiscripts can be made with notepad or any text editor. Hobbit’s waypointing tool (WaypointTool.exe) has a few special features for making aiscript files (keywords in color, right-click keyword help, error flags…). But if you don’t have Microsoft Dot-Net 2.0 installed then start with notepad.

aiscripts go in Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\fritzbot\bots\scripts as described in the main FritzBot ET wiki.

Btw waypointing desert7 will be fairly easy. You will want to learn about and use the following .nav actions;
action_dynamite (obj: 4), action_defuse (5), action_roam (12), action_mg42camp (18), action_construct_major (19), action_plant_construct (32) and action_cmdpost (22).
You will also want to learn about the following aiscript keywords;
node_connect, node_disconnect, activateAction, deactivateAction, if_construct_built_false, if_construct_built_true, if_allied_cp_built_true, if_allied_cp_built_false

Once you read and understand how to add nodes, add connections, add actions, and the minimum items above you can waypoint desert7 in a few hours.

(stealth6) #11

wouldn’t it be better to ask this on the fritzbot forums? I am sure they will have far more knowledge about the bots then us :smiley:

(viktwaar) #12

when i use the AI script from tomtom7777
the spawned bots are just standing there and arent doing anything.
i guess it has something to do with the AI script?

(viktwaar) #13

i forgot to say i haven’t made a good waypoint yet.

(sorry for my f#@$%cked up english)

(TomTom7777) #14

It has to do with the lack of nodes, lack of node-connections and lack of actions to perform. The nav file (like this partial nav) contains the actions to get the bots out of the spawns and the connected nodes to tell them what path(s) they can take. When they are not actually shooting at each other they can only move along the nodes

(viktwaar) #15

ok, but they don’t shoot on me. when i’m an allie and i stand in front of an axis he doesn’t shoot on me or something like that.

(TomTom7777) #16

for desert7.pk3 as example;
files needed as follows
fritzbot/bots/scripts/desert7.aiscript
fritzbot/bots/maps/desert7.nav
open console type:
/sv_pure 0
/fs_game fritzbot
/devmap desert7

/bot_pause 0
/node_editor 1
/node_vis 1
/vid_restart

/addbot

If the only bots shooting are fieldops then the aiscript or bot_SightDist is bad

(viktwaar) #17

ok, thanks

but now i have made 4 nodes. and when i spawn a bot it doesn’t folow the path. he just repeats the same message. do you have to do more than only plant some nodes to make a bot folow the path?

(viktwaar) #18

my bot says he can’t find a goal.
i don’t know how to get a goal in my map?

(TomTom7777) #19

yes there needs to be at least 2 actions (goals) that are active, that the bot can perform, that the bot can find by following the connections between nodes starting close to him and going unbroken to where the actions are.

the simplest actions are roam actions
stand near a connected node open console and type
/action_add 12 12 70 1023 1 0 0
and a yellow line appears showing the presence of a numbered action (as seen in the wiki.)

Now if the bot is more than about 500+ units from any and all nodes or if the node is not connected to other nodes reaching an action the bot may suicide or zombie.

(viktwaar) #20

it works! thanks.

but is raom action just an action to meet eachother and to fight? (sorry for my bad english)
do you need to have these in your map or isn’t it necessary?

when i put in an dynamite action it says i have to give it an entity, what’s that, has it something to do whith GTKradiant?