Windows Vista

(Diego) #1

This is a little off topic, But I was wondering if any mappers are running Windows Vista 64 bit edition. I’m thinking about getting a high end computer, but I was wondering if GTK Radient 1.4 will still work with that OS.

(Pegazus) #2

The GTK Radiant 1.4 will work under Vista 64 bit, but you cannot save your map file, everything else you should be able to do without problems.
But on GTK Radiant 1.5 everything should work fine, so i have read.

(Cambodunum) #3

… with 1.5 there are no problems (till yet)

greetz Cambo

(ailmanki) #4

afaik its problematic to get ET running, but in no case impossible - just a bit frustrating…

Else, if you get such a uebermachine, you can still buy VMware and install WinXP or vista 32… and use older radiant.
I would give VMware a try btw, and compared to other virtual stuff, the Snapshot stuff is really a wonderfull thing…

(Cambodunum) #5

afaik its problematic to get ET running, but in no case impossible - just a bit frustrating…

… its not frustrating … easy like hell
… just run it as admin and XP-Comp.
… thats it :slight_smile:

greetz Cam

(Pande) #6

[QUOTE=ailmanki;184190]afaik its problematic to get ET running, but in no case impossible - just a bit frustrating…

Else, if you get such a uebermachine, you can still buy VMware and install WinXP or vista 32… and use older radiant.
I would give VMware a try btw, and compared to other virtual stuff, the Snapshot stuff is really a wonderfull thing…[/QUOTE]

Its too resource intensive… no matter what your system, running two OS at once and a 3d program = lag. I have VMware Fusion for Mac and its useless for me since Radiant moves like a spring.

VMware will not fix your problem… Radiant 1.5 will. :slight_smile:

(ailmanki) #7

I believe depends on power of the pc, and cpu count…
but I have no vista 64; I use linux anyway

(Diego) #8

I really don’t like Radient 1.5. There are a lot of improvements in it that are great. But there are some very basic utilities in 1.4 that I can’t live without and 1.5 doesn’t have them.

My current pc configuration is about 4 years old. It runs games like Battlefield 2 or COD 4 ok. But new games like Quakewars, Crysis, or Bioshock won’t work (mostly due to video card glitches). So I want my next system to use the latest in Ram, CPU, and Video technology so that I will get another good 4 years out of it. I’m seriously considering getting 2 of those new 2gig ATI video cards.

I thought I would get the system with windows vista 64 bit, but then setup a dual boot installation with my current 32 bit version of Windows XP for things like ET. But I don’t that is even possible with that hardware that advanced. I would prefer not to run some kind of XP emulator within Vista.

(ailmanki) #9

There exists brand new hardware with compatibility for winXp…
If you are not a windows cracky… Maybe buy a preinstalled system with XP… with some installer discs and with possibility to install vista… Just ask the vendors…

(stebbi67) #10

Hi.

I bought this summer a new laptop with the newest Intel core 2 duo ( I just can remember which E version it was ) which is 2.x GHz. It has Gforce 9600 GTS graphic card and 4 Gb of mem.

It came with Windos Vista home ( the cheepest one ) 32 bit. I tried to run Radient 1.4 and 1.5 but no luck. I upgraded the grapich card dirver but still the same problem. The problem was that the textures does did not show and the 3D window laggs very much, with out beeing ironic about the whole situation, I believe that I got about 1 fps in the 3D window.
I can for example play ET and COD4 with out any problems at all, so I don’t think that this has to do with how robust my laptop is.
I beliieve this is just a problem with my new bac ass laptop or at least I hope that other people are not haveing this problem.

I you have problems with Windows Vista you can dual boot the computer. There are lot of articals out there how to do it. It looks fairly easy to dual boot. Or you can use VMware, there must be some free version out there, although I have never tried it.

(Diego) #11

My XP is not a crack. So If I do buy a new computer, I’ll be getting one with Vista. If It can’t run Radient correctly, I can try the dual boot.

(huPoo) #12

Vista and gaming is like Satan and Jesus. They do not tolerate each other for long.

I have vista 32 and can’t save maps with 1.4 radiant. My friend has vista 64 and same problem. I hope there would be some vistafix for this because I too liked 1.4 a lot more than 1.5. Now I have mapped with 1.5 for half year and I still feel like “no this shouldn’t be here”.

I suggest you to get either XP or linux if you really want to have no problems.