new map: shield-b1

(isbowhten) #1

this is kind of fun map with a totally new objective…
two videos are on youtube. <- you should read the readme before.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL3ukP39oZg this is a video showing some TJs and tricks and whatever
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAOPKE1DLqg this video shows how to handle with the shield

the shield is an object that follows you, you are inside

the readme is in the pk3 or here:

map by isbowhten

WARNING:  to play the map smoothly you need a good ping!!(<150)
//:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
//::::::::::::::::::story::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
//:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
mankind developed powerful weapons and shields.
intelligent scientists convinced some soldiers to destroy their own weapons being too strong.
the enemy's scientists ordered a similar mission.
as there is only one point to destroy the shield-protector, both, axis and allies arrived at the same time in the same small , but modern, city.
both teams immediately began to fight.
what a pity they didn't know their missions were the same.
unnecessarily warring they just had in mind to destroy both, axis and allied, shield-protector placed in the city before as an act of deception - "to defend" - , because the teams' bosses did not know anything about a destruction-plan.
//:::::::::::::::::::description::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
a team has to prevent the opponents to get any of the shields for 6,66 minutes.
you dont have to hold both shields, you also can hide them....
only make sure that opponents dont get any of the shields for 6,66 minutes.
if both teams hold or hide one shield or if you do not prevent them for 6,66 minutes until map timelimit has been expired the map ends with a tie!

the shield follows you after activating it!!!
shield gets activated using it (usually press 'f').
shield gets deactivated using it again, or if you arent inside anymore. (usually dead)
after having stood in the middle of the shield it counts as "got" and if you don't activate it , it wont follow you til it is active.
if you activate it you "hold" it, if you deactivate it cause of using it again you "hide" it. if you leave the shield while it is activated, you "unhold" it.

the shield rotates around you and follows your movement as good as possible if it is active.
it also can't be stolen, "hold"/"got" by the other team before you get killed or shield gets deactivated, "unhold"/"hidden" by your team.

at map start your own shield (as is shouldn't be used for fighting) is secured in a building, nobody can enter.
so it is rescued - i your hands.
don't let the opponents dynamite the building's wall in order to steal it!
when active:
hold: 	solid, rotating, pusher at top, yellow-green
when deactive:
unhold: 	unsolid, blinks yellow-green - blue
hidden:	solid, yellow-green
also if it is not active but still solid as you have hidden it you can also activate it from outside to prevent hiding it into a wall.
//::::::::::::::::::::::contact:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
email:	isbowhten@web.de
msn:	isbowhten@web.de
yahoo:	isbowhten
//::::::::::::::credits::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
aaa3		had a look on the detail vs. structural and advised me
Gh3ttok!nG.	hosted map several times and recorded for the videopreview
Mart, Vasili	i took their glass textures from Dare2Die_b1
Wezelkrozum	tested map with me on Gh3ttok!nGs host server
R4g clan		put it a short while on their public fun server
IndyJones		made my command map and loadingscreen image transparent 		and nicer and spottet bad textured or caulked surfaces
music/sounds:
electrocute from italy
rest by isbowhten

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL3ukP39oZg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAOPKE1DLqg 

the map is here:
http://www.speedyshare.com/452116528.html

some time later it will maybe be on splatterladder.
if you did not read the readme so far, then read it (recommended!)

(IndyJones) #2

the map will run on my server now.

et.servequake.com

(Cambodunum) #3

uhm … hmm … dont know what i should say xD

maybe … more details/textures

cheeze & greetz
Cambo

(isbowhten) #4

^the textures are not so important -
the gameplay is.
such a gameplay did not exist before in ET…
it does not make fun to watch nice textures,
test it :wink:

(stealth6) #5

[QUOTE=isbowhten;182402]
it does not make fun to watch nice textures,
test it ;)[/QUOTE]

Actually… it does… But I will test it :stuck_out_tongue:

But it is important if you want the new gametype to be successfull to make the map look nice imo…

EDIT: tested it
doesn’t look very nice imo… (but I think you already new that)
the sky looks like a giant football.
its very big, big open spaces. ( not so nice)
the map theme doesn’t fit the story theme, you say its modern, but all the houses are made from concrete / wood, not very modern. No roads (where do I go?).
you cant fall to your death :P, the shield prevents you from falling too fast, or maybe its my fps…

how do you hold the shield, how do you hide the shield?

The shield idea is very cool, and I think it could have many possibilities, but this map was not very nice imo…

Maybe to improve the map, add some nice textures :stuck_out_tongue: or some more detail? (roads / shield generator?)
fill up the space a bit?

But the shield does interest me :stuck_out_tongue: (wonders how it works)

(isbowhten) #6

i am much too lazy to find modern looking textures…
there arent sooo much open spaces… you shall also be able to shoot to an enemy.
all about the shield should be explained in the readme and shown in the video.

you see that hand-sign when you are near it? just press F or whatever key you binded.
on the right there are also precise texts of the actions with the shield.

edit:
i wonder…
why the f*ck everbody wanna have a nice looking map with bad fps?
wasnt it in the et-pub comics a pro vs a noob graphics option? xD
that are just buildings if they look like buildings or if they look like shit, they are still walls and floors

usually at evenings the map runs on a host (a PC of one of my firends -> bad ping)
here:
Game-Server.game-host.org:27960
or sometimes at indys host (much better ping). then i can tell you how to use it.

(Avoc) #7

The idea and gameplay sounds interesting, but the “presentation” of the gameplay is not good. The presentation is atleast just as important as the idea itself.

Just had a little run-around the map. I had no idea what to do, and I quickly got confused. Don’t take this the wrong way, but you need to put just a little effort into the look of the map itself - it would help alot in delivering the new and interesting gameplay you had in mind.
If you do not have the patience to do so, find someone who wants to help you with it.

(stealth6) #8

I know how the shield works, just stand in it and press f, but in the explanasion it says hide / hold

I wonder how to make the shield hide and how to make it hold, I think mine just kept on going hide.

and comon bad fps?? ET is 5 years old, so the rigs have changed so much in 5 years, I think the current pc’s can handle a bit more detail, and I always play on high detail so yer…
and I aint a pro, so **** them…

and why do people always want more detail? I have no idea, maybe it’s just something wrong with our brains, but lots of people like it otherwise, games wouldn’t bother trying to make things so realistic…

(Pegazus) #9

Just tested it well if i would not have read the info i would have been gone crazy lol

The idea is interesting, but the concept is a little bit too simple imo.
What i noticed that the middle section is too open and hard to survive if it is mass server.

But in other ways it is nice and would like to see some nice changes for b2

(Zer0Cool) #10

How do you add the scriptmover to a player? It seems to be something with tags, but how does it work exactly?

(isbowhten) #11

on shield has about (did not count them) 20 entities and about 20 attachtotag commands …
rofl
at least … it is very simple.
it follows you in steps only.
trigger muliples are around you, attached to a tag in the middle of them…
another script mover , not attached is movedd with setposition to that multiples origin which is a point of the circle the multiples are…
(they are built in a 8sided polygon, and ofc have not the middle as origin but a point on an imaginary circle)
then the while shield follows the script mover that has been moved with setposition.

so a simple following thing is made of:

• multiples around you (i wanna improve that anytime, make some bots that kill you with a ball around the center instead of a circle and 2 floors)
  • attach the multiples to a tag in the middle of them
  • via script a script mover or any other entity is moved to that multiple you activated with setposition
  • the script mover carrying the tags follows (btw: with gotomarker) that entity => shield follows you or whatever you attached.

ah i really dont know why everybody wants it so detailed. i will give it a try…
good i always call maps b1 first ^^

i also have 3 other ideas i could do with that concept but then i think i need a good designer.
just tell me if you wanna do a simple kind of “age of empires” or a dynymite yourself with a bomb belt and “remote control” for the belt in a special area

edit: i can do a much simpler version of something that follows you… so no shield, only a square above your head or so. (only by request)

(stealth6) #12

was thinking of a cool idea with this concept, and you could use it with one of your first ideas…
You made that gametype from UT whats it called…?
where you have control points you neeed to get, well in UT 3 you have an orb, and if you take that to a control point it is immediately yours, and now you have created something that could be that orb ^^

(isbowhten) #13

i dont know UT3 cause i love win 98 (dont start a discussion xD,pls), so it does not run on my PC…
explain that gametype and i can do the scripting when you make the designing

(IndyJones) #14

isn’t that called domination? i believe there is already a mod out for this for et, and as well some maps designed for it.

(isbowhten) #15

not exactly for domination you dont need an orb to carry around

(shagileo) #16

Well I took a look at the map too;… aaah well everything has been said already

BUT,
I noticed you left the .map inside the .pk3 there for us :slight_smile: (dunno if that was the idea). I haven’t checked the .map file yet, but I just saw it.
Perhaps others can learn from that too?

(isbowhten) #17

i will always include my mapfile. i dont wanna hide it.
damn you should all test my map on a server xD the fun in the map is really not to look at the design ^^
but anyway it will be improved, i asked wezelkrozum to take a look on it.

maybe be prepared that the map might be run on a host server again this evening

(stealth6) #18

what will the IP be?

wat time?

(isbowhten) #19

when i post it xD
i cant host so i ahve to wait for some guys that could host

(isbowhten) #20

now at et.servequake.com
et 2.6