Things You Were Too Afraid to Ask: Ed 'BongoBoy' Stern

(badman) #1

A new story entry has been added:
[drupal=262]Things You Were Too Afraid to Ask: Ed ‘BongoBoy’ Stern[/drupal]

This week’s staff interview baton is passed to Senior Game Designer Ed ‘BongoBoy’ Stern, who not only runs with it but also manages to knock over several pigeons in the process. Ed has been with Splash Damage since the early days of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and while coders code, modellers model, level designers design levels, and artists … art, we’re still not entirely sure what Ed does.
Luckily that very question is the opening volley in the full interview, which also covers how Ed ended up at Splash Damage in the first place, his tips for designery types wanting to break into the industry, and his very average musical skills.

(Anti) #2

Every now and again Ed you seem to mention something reasonably niche that dislodges a nugget of joy from my memory. Last time it was my beloved and misunderstood Ultimate Frisbee, this time it’s this appearance by the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain made at New Years Eve a few years back. Nothing beats a collection of men in Tuxedos playing a Grunge anthem on tiny guitars! :smiley:

(Salteh) #3

Nice photo!

(Benburg) #4

After walking abroad with some absolute impressions from our examination of Splash Damage’s new team-based FPS Brink, we advised to barbecue him on the attenuate nuances of the FPS field, and altercate the claim of authoritative affectionate accomplishments the angle on which Brink hangs its gameplay covering on cool gadgets.

(ed lolington) #5

has anyone ever told you that you have a face like a tapir’s?

(Loffy) #6

Hey, how come you only have a handful of questions!?

(tokamak) #7

Was looking forward to this one. Hilarious :smiley:

(.Chris.) #8

Originally posted, 9th Jul 2008, 17:02 :slight_smile:

(LyndonL) #9

Joy nuggets :eek: Sounds messy.

(GlobalWar) #10

LOL, this one is quite old :smiley:

(TheGuern) #11

Dear Ed,

I am reliably informed that you are something of an accomplished player of the arm-trumpet…

Is this true? If so may I request an example of your musical talent be provided? Preferably via the medium of youtube…

Many thanks and Kind Regards

TheGuern

(Pytox) #12

[QUOTE=TheGuern;459674]Dear Ed,

I am reliably informed that you are something of an accomplished player of the arm-trumpet…

Is this true? If so may I request an example of your musical talent be provided? Preferably via the medium of youtube…

Many thanks and Kind Regards

TheGuern[/QUOTE]

Interesting :o s maybe he can play the batman song on trumpet then? :smiley:

(mortis) #13

I’m not afraid of asking Ed questions. I’m only afraid of his answers…

:wink:

(PlayingUndead) #14

Hey, sorry to bug you, Dirty Bomb is awesome and I know it’s a long shot to ask here, but where can I find a full credits list for all of the voice actors in Dirty Bomb?

The game is, as of right now, in beta, so I’m thinking maybe it’ll be in the official release, but their work is just impeccable and I’d love to know the names of the actors to see what else they might’ve been in, and keep my eye on their future works.

Thanks a million sir, and take care!

(Ashog) #15

Ironic nickname for reviving the 2 y/o thread :wink:

But indeed, I’d also like to get some info on the voice credits. Sure, some of voices are placeholders (incl. Ed’s). Sure, after release the voice credits will magically appear on imdb and stuff like that but how about sharing them with us now? :slight_smile:

Also, haven’t heard anything from Ed for ages.