[MAP]Mine Assault

(walk_on_sky) #1

Hello!

I’d like to show you some screenshots of my current map project.
I am working on a map of a mine, where the Axis have hidden several boxes with important goods. The Allied discovered the place and are trying to destroy the goods. Because they are so easy to damage, it is enough to shoot at the crates to make the goods unusable for the Axis. Because of that, any fights near the crates will be highly dangerous for the Axis because of the risk of destroying the crates accidentally.
The fight will at first rage at the central hall of the mine, where the Allied are trying to capture a forward spawn point. The central hall is accessible by several corridors and through the ventilation system.
After the Allied have captured the forward spawn, they are trying to reach the crates and to destroy a gate that allows them easier access. The Axis’ engineers can rebuild the gate.

The script of the map is nearly complete. The brushwork is done except for the Allied spawn region. The command map also has to be done.
Maybe this time I complete a map… :wink:

and now the screens:
exits of the second axis spawn:

two ways for the Axis to enter the central hall:

central hall (spawn in the room upstairs)

looking forward to your comments…

walk_on_sky

(Miki) #2

It seems that there aren’t much ways to go, 2 for everything, or something… I think some more open spaces would be nice;, but ofcourse, its still in a mine, so that’s kinda hard.

I expect that you should get great FPS on your map, that’s a good thing, but no possibility for airstrikes…

Perhaps some more stuff to ‘shelter’ in the main hall?

But overal, it looks nice :slight_smile:

(Avoc) #3

Sorry to say, but those screenshots are too dark :frowning:

(Fluffy_gIMp) #4

Sounds like a cool map, reminds me of MP_Rocket that we made for RtCW GOTY.

Please tell us you’ll have automated mine carts, I always loved the fear of running away from them in Rocket before they gibbed you. :slight_smile:

We actually had a huge mine cart map in production for W:ET where they would come along side each other for firefights. Sadly it never made the cut though. :frowning:

There’s some really cool mine cart levels in the new LEGO Indiana Jones I played last weekend, worth a look for reference purposes.

(Avoc) #5

[QUOTE=Fluffy_gIMp;178334]Sounds like a cool map, reminds me of MP_Rocket that we made for RtCW GOTY.

Please tell us you’ll have automated mine carts, I always loved the fear of running away from them in Rocket before they gibbed you. :slight_smile:

We actually had a huge mine cart map in production for W:ET where they would come along side each other for firefights. Sadly it never made the cut though. :frowning:

There’s some really cool mine cart levels in the new LEGO Indiana Jones I played last weekend, worth a look for reference purposes.[/QUOTE]

Fluffy, I was wondering, does Splashdamage still have those maps, or atleast fragments of those maps? What about the textures?
I know that the ET community would GREATLY appriciate atleast some screenshots of what might have been.

EDIT:
It seems that my workplace comp had a bad screen so it made the screenshots appear completly dark.
From my home PC I am able to see the screenshots much better.
Looks like you are putting lots of effort in this map, keep it up ;D

(MrLego) #6

Looks like fun.

Rocket was a cool map - we used to kill on that one at TWL. :slight_smile:

I wish I had the time to make a Indiana Jones mine chase map - sort of a sequal to Hummer’s Raiders map.

Remember that mines are vertical as well - a few well placed pits or dropoffs can make the gameplay a little more interesting in a firefight.

(ailmanki) #7

looks great;
the only negative and its not really bad, the ground looks too clean …around the railroads there should be some stones, or dust… dunno what exactly I can just tell it looks like fresh cleaned with water…

uhm could be the shadows which make it look clean?

(Fluffy_gIMp) #8

[quote=Avoc;178340]Fluffy, I was wondering, does Splashdamage still have those maps, or at least fragments of those maps? What about the textures?
I know that the ET community would GREATLY appreciate at least some screenshots of what might have been.
[/quote]

We’d be too embarrassed to release them, the gameplay wasn’t up to the standard of the released six. As for textures there weren’t any sets that were held back, they all got used in the main maps.

One thing that has been a point of discussion here at SD, is to release all the source *.map’s for the other five release maps.

(Avoc) #9

[QUOTE=Fluffy_gIMp;178385]We’d be too embarrassed to release them, the gameplay wasn’t up to the standard of the released six. As for textures there weren’t any sets that were held back, they all got used in the main maps.

One thing that has been a point of discussion here at SD, is to release all the source *.map’s for the other five release maps.[/QUOTE]

That sounds VERY interresting!
There are probably still a few tricks that SD has used which the community knows nothing about.

Returning to the unreleased maps by SD, I do not think that mapmakers would be that interrested in the quality of gameplay is, but I am sure that the maps would be able to give a creative spark to the community.

@ walk_on_sky: Sorry to hijack your thread!