ET performance

(dfusion) #1

I have a p4 2.6 ghz with 768 mb ddr ram and a r9700 pro and still get low fps (50 fps soemtimes) I know theres people who have to put up with alot less but i’m thinking 50 fps isnt exactly good for my spec pc.

I was wondering if splashdamage could release a config file with the best performace settings in ET, purely setup to get the most fps out of the game, this would benefit alot of people like me who come from different games and dont know what works well with the wolf engine.I’v taken a look through 5/6 detailed guides (redtops/rtcw for dummies/q3 guides) an alot of cmds they say increase performance actually gives e worse fps, an who knows the engine better than the creators.

Just a thought/request.

also howcome PB restricts the r_rmse value to 0, surely up to 22 or so is fine?

//dfusion ( gg an thanks in advance :DDD )[/i]

(tigerx) #2

u might want to check your internet connection first. and then may be there’s other program running in the background and eat up all of your resources and memory.

(twiFight) #3

I have between 10 and 20 fps usually. Sometimes (explosions, lot’s of players in FOV) going down to 8 fps. On quiet moments i get up to 40 fps.

This doesn’t bother me mostly. Only when I play on a server with about 20 players, it’s just too slow then. I play on 800x600x32 with most detail around the middle, so I could lower it a bit to get more fps, but I don’t really want to. I like a bit of detail when playing and most of the time the fps is high enough for me to play.

I wonder tho why it is so low, since i have 100 fps with Q3A everything on high detail. Ofcourse the engines are not the same (Q3 --> RTCW --> ET) but still it’s a big difference. Then again ET maps are pretty big and have lots of objects (trees, bushes, buildings etc). Some more fps would be great but since the project has been cancelled this won’t be a priority to SD. I hope to get a new pc soon which should get rid of the problem with lots of players (I have a p3 600 mhz now, a AMD 2100+ then). That should be sufficient. If you want to have lots of fps then go play Q2

(n00ber) #4

That’s the exact description for me, but I have a 533mhz comp. :???:

(DasMonkey) #5

heh… well i got a p4 1.7ghz 768 sdram… and a cheesy ti500… but my fps ranges from 40-50 low/outside… and 125-160 high/inside

(kotkis) #6

I’ve done some tweaking and this is the best I have got this far:
My High FPS-config

Screenshot:

I’ve got AMD Duron 800mhz with GeForce 2 MX. If anyone knows any settings I could still mess up with to gain better fps, let me know.

(dfusion) #7

nah m8 im positive its not my connection or settings, and nothigns dfective in my pc as im aware of, i can run a similar game ( SoF2 [Q3 engine]) with 250-300 fps (with a slightly tweaked cfg ofc) so i cant see why im getting 50 with ET, i dont expect to be getting as many as SoF because of the mao size differences but i expect more than 50.

What im asking is if a Splashdamage programmer or someone who worked on ET could release a config of pure fps enhances, so that people who are not familiar with wofl/et config commands can play the game with decent fps.

//dfusion (thanks)

(kyleb) #8

the game pushes a lot more polgons than any other q3 engine that came before it, seems to be cpu limited as well as even swtiching the resoltion does not seem to help. i recomend just comeing to terms with the ~50fps low spots and make use of that 9700pro with a bit aa and af as things look much more pleaseing with them on and unless you crank them up too high it does not really hurt the pefromace much at all.

(WolfWings) #9

Sad thing here, is that I average around 40-50fps on a 64MB Kyro2 video card. I WAS getting 10-15fps on average at first.

Know the two single biggest change I made that boosted FPS?

rename or copy ET.exe to Quake3.exe so the video-card driver auto-optimizes for Q3-style rendering. Redirect GameSpy/ASE to the new executable, servers don’t give a damn what the executable is called.

seta r_primitives “0”

Q3 always had r_primitives set to 0, so this makes the rendering mimic Q3A even more. Just this change by itself gave me double to triple the FPS, renaming the executable smoothed out the FPS even more.

(twiFight) #10

what does seta r_primitives “0” do exactly.
I ofcourse want more fps but not if it makes the game look like crap.

(WolfWings) #11

Zero visual difference at all.

It changes only how the game engine passes the polygons to the video card, as far as I can tell. And Q3A used the setting of 0, so most video card drivers optimized for Q3A won’t run well unless it’s set to 0, which defeats the whole purpose of copying or renaming your executable like I did. :slight_smile:

(Chiller) #12

I have not “tweaked” my config file. I just checked it and the seta r_primitives “0” was already there.

(dfusion) #13

the Quake3 thing didnt really work for me.

What i was also wondering is why does picmip 3 give me less fps than picmip 1 (about 2 fps… lowering the picmip should increase the fps)

(Wraith2k3) #14

I get around 50 - 60 fps average (sometimes higher) on most maps with my GF4 ti4200 and the game on default settings (with Quincunx Antialiasing activated on the card). Never drops any lower than about 40.

The game looks just fine for me, graphics wise. So if your only getting 50 fps on a 9700 then you must have your graphics settings turned up pretty high or something.

btw, 50 FPS is not “low” at all. For most games it would be considered average. 10 - 20 FPS is low. There is no need to have 200 FPS or something stupid like that, cos once you reach a certain point it just doesnt make a difference anymore.

(kotkis) #15

True, but many gamers (including myself) want a stable fps of 76 to get a bit longer/higher jumps.

(dfusion) #16

ok no i dont have my gfx too high on my radeon.

about 50 fps being fine… say you buy a new pc an it performs ‘ok’ but not to what it should be… youd want it to perform to its full potential right? no body wants things to just be ‘ok’.

Yes when it gets to a certain point the eye doesnt notice over a certain amount but my point is with a proporly tweaked config (iv followed alot of guides an for some weird reason tweaked configs give me less fps so im asking SP to rlse one) i could (you could) be getting more fps.

the thing i dont understand about this game is if you lower your settings too low you actually start getting less fps, if Sp wants i can show screenshot evidence of this, whats also strange is a lower resolution doesnt affect the fps… this cant be right surely…

(Brinkman) #17

goddamn either you’re lieing about your specs or you have no idea how to maintain your pc because i have a 2000+ athlon, geforce 4200, 512 kingmax pc2700 system and i get 90 fps with max settings running at 1280x1024…

and for hte people that are running the 800mhz with the geforce 2’s… BUY A NEW FREAKING MACHINE

you expect companies today to spend the time to design the gmaes based around 6 year old technology?. get real

“man john carmack better design doom 3 to run on my commodore 64” :blah:

(kotkis) #18

Umm… Why should I? ET works fine for me with some “minor” tweaking.

(dfusion) #19

goddamn either you’re lieing about your specs or you have no idea how to maintain your pc because i have a 2000+ athlon, geforce 4200, 512 kingmax pc2700 system and i get 90 fps with max settings running at 1280x1024…

heh why would i lie about my specs?

(CPU) 1-Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.60GHz, 2599MHz, 512KB (14% Load) .:. (RAM) usage: 181/767MB (23.60%) .:. (GFX) RADEON 9700 PRO - Secondary, (Display) 1024x768/32bit/75Hz
(OS) Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 1 (5.1 - 2600), (installed for) 1w 6d 19h 31m, (uptime) 2h 52m 28s .:. (HDDs) 98.4G/111G(88.1%) free

i seriously get 50 fps with that spec

which is why im not happy…

(twiFight) #20

First of all I only have a 600 mhz.

but why should I buy a new machine? Just because every week a new game comes out that demands a better machine?!

Secondly, obviously you’re the rich pimp if you can buy a new machine, but some of us have to work hard for our money and can not just afford a new machine. Feel free to donate me a new one tho, since you don’t have a problem with it.