Does Compiling affect sound?

(shdizzy) #1

I am wondering if certain compile features affect the sound in a map? I think that when I compile my map with just -meta that the walls seem very thin and it’s hard to tell where people are because you can hear their footsteps too often. I was wondering if perhaps compiling affects the way sound travels within the map, and if so, how? A more general question, does anyone know a good site/page that explains the different compile options, what they mean, and how to customize your own compile properties? Thanks.

(Flippy) #2

I never heard of sound getting affected by compile options… But hey, I don’t know everything, so you never know lol!

And to compile your own options you need to create a batch (.bat) compile file. This is quite hard to do for a beginner, so there are a few programs that do it for you.

An example is ‘Q3Map2Build’. You can simply select the options you want, all options are commented so you know what they do, you press compile and it creates, and runs, your batch file. It is also a bit faster and takes a LOT less resources from your computer.
So I really advise you to use that!

(stealth6) #3

sound can be added after the map is compiled, so don’t see how compiling could effect it?

(]UBC[ McNite) #4

Try compiling a map without VIS, and you ll hear your sound outside of buildings which you won’t hear with a proper VIS compile, exactly as you describe. You need to have a proper VIS compile, not only for the sake of sounds but especially for the sake of proper FPS.

Get Q3map2build by bobdev. And search this forum for my name and keywords like “compile” or similiar, I think I posted basic compile switches sometime.