Fog questions

(MattMurdock) #1

Hi,
Yes I’ve searched the forum and found out most of what I wanted to know, but I have a few questions that I couldn’t find answers for…

1. How do I make the fog not overlap/block the skybox? Currently the worldspawn fog kind of “fills the corners” of the skybox, destroying the illusion.

2. Also how would I make terrain gradually fade to dense white fog just at the bottom of the map? Here’s a screenshot of my map atm to show what i mean:

Thanks in advance

(-SSF-Sage) #2

EDIT. This can be removed.

(-SSF-Sage) #3

You could do it with 2 ways that I know. 1 is to blend the terrain with that fog texture. Other is to make fading alpha texture overlap the texture sides… Like double the brushes of the terrain on the edges and give them the alpha texture. But why wouldn’t you do just mountains there? :smiley:

(MattMurdock) #4

Thanks, I’ll give that a go. The map is sposed to be just above a layer of cloud, that’s why there aren’t “mountains there”. Or maybe im just too lazy :stuck_out_tongue:
Can anyone answer my first question about the fog masking the skybox?

(.Chris.) #5

Hey, I’ve tried a similar thing as my maps all take place in a land of island floating in clouds but never was able to achieve the right effect, closest I got was making a volumetric fog shader that was similar colour to the sky I used, battery sky, so was grey. This is how it turned out click

(mrfin) #6

hello

Try making your actual map box bigger to allow space for the farplanedist
to extend beyond the areas of the map accessible to players. Then players wont be able to see the box edges. Use clips to stop spectators from wandering to the edge.
It should be the same for the vertical. Just extend your ground to go right down into the fog.

possibly ? 8)

(]UBC[ McNite) #7

What mrfin said is one option, but could result in real large skyboxes = not good for performance sometimes.

My approach on TheRiver II Redux: the color of your skybox walls have exactly the same color as the fog itself (using the same texture), then you won’t recognise whether you look at the skybox or whether the farplanedist is working.