battery style sea

(mazdaplz) #1

i am really stuck on this one, i need to have an ocean like saberpeak or battery, where you can’t see clearly the corners of the map, and there’s a sense of horizon, how is it that this is done? i downloaded saberpeak but i am missing a lot of textures when i open it, and i do have the source and the map files (pk3)?, so i’ve been searching the site, but still no clear answer. i have the crappy siwa water which is pretty much crystal clear and the fueldump sky and it does not look good.
what i had in mind and had tried was making a terrain dotproduct2 blend as a sea and have it fade to white where it would meet a white sky, but the ocean did not blend for some reason no matter what i did, i have all the latest q3map and i have put the alpha blend blocks on each normal; nothing.
i couldn’t even make a sky for some reason, sometimes radiant really puzzles me, i need to find what i need to be doing.

i don’t know how to make the sea smoothly meet the sky in the horizon

edit: also, the fueldump sky doesn’t work for me?

thanks a lot
maz

(-SSF-Sage) #2

Did you make your water from one brush? You need to make there vertices where you want to start your fading, and put there alphas. So you need many brushes for the sea.

(mazdaplz) #3

yes, i made the sea of many triangular brushes, but i don’t think that’s the way they do it in seawall battery, and im sure it’s much simpler

(DerSaidin) #4

Battery just has a distance fog… is that what your after?

(]UBC[ McNite) #5

Yepp u need to be more precise on what you are looking for. The fading horizon in the distance is done with a fog set in the worldspawn that has a very high farplanedist and probably no fogclip.

The battery water actually is done in the way you do terrain with terrain blending with an alphamap. If you want a quick idea of how it works, use easygen, create a terrain with 2 textures and export it all.

(mazdaplz) #6

ok, i tried several stuff. pretty much all except using easygen; so what i did is i came up with a noobish way to do it but i like the result, i grabbed the “blacksky” shader from terrain_example and made a sea with a single texture stretched white on the borders, then the sky met the sea at the same color, looks nice and i get 90plus fps.

but i have some more problems

i want to make my sea semitransparent, as of now it’s just a brush with one textured face (no shader) and 5 faces that read caulk water
i want the top part semitransparent, ondulating and maybe even with a second translucent texture rolling around in there; whenever i use a shader like this the sea comes out as missing texture, i have tried variations of every liquids and liquids_sd configuration, no luck :frowning:

thankyou!