crashing wave

(mazdaplz) #1

wow back in the forums after so long, i have a tech question, is it possible to change the dust entity’s color to white and attach it to rocks on a shore to make it look like crashing waves?, if not what could be a good solution?
i’ve thought of putting effects underwater to make it splash, with damage turned off of course, what do you think would be the best way to do that

(ShadowAgent) #2

you can make a target_smoke make it white and put values very low. that would look like a crashing wave a bit…

(TNR360) #3

Ok idea

I have no idea how it could be done

You got one water shader for the ocean and one for the shore

both are animated differently to look real, but when the shore waves crash it looks like crap, maybe trigger particle effect where the waves crash every time they do…

say a wave crashes every 2.5 seconds, trigger water particles to activate every 2.5 seconds

just a thought

(]UBC[ McNite) #4

If you ll use a lot of the smoke entities in an open area it will kill your performance imo. The question is whether the players will run around in the crashing waves or whether it will only be an effect to watch from far. For the later you could get some nice effects going with good shaders and some nifty brushwork. If you want this on a map like battery… I d say rather concentrate on something else to make your map look good. There are lots of water shaders around that already look pretty good without the breaking waves effect.

(C) #5

Hi there mazdaplz…

Beware that, if You want to use an animated-shader (aniMap), the shader may not animate at all in-game.