Beta Opinions/Bugs/Chat

(Danyboy) #1

I just played the beta, and have these comments:

• Some servers are laggy even though pings are well under 100

• There’s a lot of information coming into you and it would be nice to filter some of the HUD icons

• Can you zoom the minimap out?

• Will there be a 1280*1024 screen res?

• Can I enable the console in the BETA?

• Are you able to fire an enemy soldier’s weapon when you’re disguised?

• Is there a key that shows your current skill in each class?

I’m still a lttle lost after only playing 3 games - need time to hone my skillz - yes, skills with a z !

(mortis) #2

1280x1024 already exists. Set the lower resolution ratio to 5:4 and then select 1280x1024…

You can knife/stab people when disguised. ‘Shooting’ your weapons makes you lost your disguise.

Control-alt-tilde opens the console

(iwound) #3
  • Can you zoom the minimap out? - yes look in controls + - i think

• Will there be a 1280*1024 screen res? - possibly

• Can I enable the console in the BETA? - yes seta com_allowConsole “1”

• Are you able to fire an enemy soldier’s weapon when you’re disguised? - no

• Is there a key that shows your current skill in each class? - yes in limbo i think

(cptwhistlepants) #4

Yes the servers are laggy, thats why we are testing it.

1. press the n(default) key
  2. there is 1280x1084 , your aspect ratio has to be set to tft
  3. control+alt+tilde key(~)
  4. no, your best weapon when disguised is the knife(GDF), not sure what strogg knife is called
  5. you can see all your stats by using the link at the top of your game gui, its says persistant stats

This is a very good guide to introduce you to the game, lots O info in it

http://4newbies.planetwolfenstein.gamespy.com/ETQW/

(Salteh) #5

Or use ‘player stats’, next to the ‘role’ tab where you select your class.
http://4newbies.planetwolfenstein.gamespy.com/ETQW/images/pb_limbo2.jpg

You can zoom the compass in/out using the < and > keys( at least… on my machine :slight_smile: ).

(Danyboy) #6

found 1 legitimate bug:

Strogg Violator “green attack marker” seemed to appear (inside the sewer even) I doubt anyone was luanching them there but it was showing up for several people.

(BondyBoy007) #7

aye, one round there was the marker in initial strogg spawn the entire map

(Danyboy) #8

ah just seen this : http://www.forumplanet.com/QuakeWars/

If SD forums aren’t proper place for this thread then mod can close

(corvey) #9
  1. Terrible Video graphics tearing or/ Rippling effect.

2. Besides the terrible graphics tearing/ripple effect with every viewing movement, the graphics looks like a cheesy arcade game, not like I was expecting from the preview videos. The overall performance
    sucks, Quake 4 plays like butter compared to this game.

3. If you choose create user by accident then switch to use existing user to login, you can’t, it says user already exists.

4. Sometimes when trying to exit the game it stays at the ending screen with no other way to exit but to use task manager to kill it.

Opinion: Game is not nearly ready for release. I will be willing to wait another year for Splashdamge to polish this game up, because there is a LOT of work that still needs to be done.

(Danyboy) #10

no problems with video (although a little slow) - sounds like hardware/drivers - dunno.

The exit bug I also experience - it happens when you push Escape during the credit screen - just left click to exit without it crashing

(murphIV) #11

sounds like your system chief, this game plays flawlessly and the graphics are really good.

E6420 C2D
8800GTS 320MB KO
nForce680i
3072mb DDR2

(SCi-Fi) #12

sfx is horrible hardly a futurist.
GDI weapons are so boring and dull, Strogg weapons sfx are just as dull
and the character movement is too fast.

(Nishua) #13

Dude its a beta!

(corvey) #14

sounds like your system chief, this game plays flawlessly and the graphics are really good.

E6420 C2D
8800GTS 320MB KO
nForce680i
3072mb DDR2[/quote]

Graphics are fixed by enabling V-SYNC or FPS 333. V-SYNC feels sluggish compared to flat out FPS speed though, and FPS 333 doesn’t seem as fluid like V-sync. It plays well now with either of those settings enabled. Weird though, my other games don’t require V-SYNC to be enabled for smooth graphics. All my other game graphics are smooth as hot butter on this machine without V-SYNC enabled :smiley:

A monitor refresh setting in the video menu needs to be implemented.

Gigabyte Mobo with the P35 Chipset.
E6600 @ 3.0
2 gig DDR2-1066
8800 GTS @ 600 core

(zivs) #15

If we forget the fact that I’ve already pre-ordered this game when it will come out, I still do love this game even as beta and with all of it’s errors and glitches!

Kinda give a poop on graphics as I have it tweaked to look like Q3 with picmip 5 (ofcourse lowest settings from in-game menu, not anything else - new to D3 engine :wink: ). Only thing what I really dislike is the sound of GDF default gun - sounds like it have no audio file ending or is in great lagging…

And tell me that I’m not addicted - more than 16 gaming hours in less than 4 days I think. :smiley:

Meh!

(Danyboy) #16

couple of other things ive noticed:

• You should be able to switch weapon during parachute descent so you “spawn” with the weapon you want

• The red flag on the Strogg base gets me everytime and I think its an enemy marker - if should really lowered so you cant see it from the spillway spawn

• Some hills appear walkable but they’re too steep

• Getting into a vehicle takes too long - it feels like there’s a delay, i think the entry radius needs to be increased - this will also help stop getting run over some times - in BF2 if i saw a tank coming to me and i was likely to get run over i’d hold the enter vehicle key so it would pick me up rather than kill me. I think a similar system needs adding.

(always reminds me of those ghost twins from Matrix Reloaded :D)

(Gringo) #17

I know QW aint a sim but to be able to parachute and change weapons at the same time seems unrealistic to me.

As for entering vehicles, I would agree that u should may be be able to jump on or into vehicles that move slowly past u but it shouldnt be feasible to enter vehicles that are traveling with a large amount of speed.

(amazinglarry) #18

I’m with Danyboy in wanting to be able to switch weapons while parachuting down so one has the weapon they want ready to go. I find myself spamming on the number 2 key to get the pistol out so I can make a quick break for the objective/vehicle/wherever and instead run for about 2 seconds with my slow weapon out. Unrealistic? You should be able to choose which weapon you want to “land” with and not so much ‘cycle’ through weapons.

(kamikazee) #19

I would still find this feasible. However, how long does the spawn protection last again? If it lasts longer than the time needed to drop down, you can still pick the weapon when you are on the ground without the risk of being killed…

(murka) #20

the spawn protect seems like twice as long as it was in ET, they drop down, they run, i try to hog but they still have spawnprotect.