Had an idea

({UPS}Shroom[FR]) #1

Just an idea that I thought would be cool.

I stopped by the site where I noticed that Splash Damage is looking for a level designer. I was wondering; why not give the community some basic parameters with a deadline then organize some kinda massive build off. Each person interested could build a potential map for quake wars. The finalists could get their maps placed in an official update patch and be “considered” for a job.

(kamikazee) #2

I think it’s hard to make a map for a game that is not released yet. Handing out copies to let selected people start mapping would not help either, as it would allow leaked versions of the game.

(.Chris.) #3

A competition for a job placement with a top firm, sounds familiar, maybe would could video it and have Paul Wedgwood telling people “You’re fired!” after the map submission proves to be totally poo.

(murka) #4

good idea but wont do any good as you release the game literally, or many mappers wont be able to go where they map…

(carnage) #5

you could also look at it that since QW seems to be nearly finished its unlikely that they will be hiring a new level designer to work on a nearly finished games that he may have no experience with. Now would seem a good time to start looking as by the time they have found and recruited a suitable candidate and trained him then they will be ready to precede to the next game production

(murka) #6

rtcw2 will be very cool, but as soon as it comes im playing QW

(igl) #7

Wasn’t that one 360 exclusive?

(Mordenkainen) #8

Wasn’t that one 360 exclusive?[/quote]

No.

(murka) #9

and i hope no media whatsoever will be released of rtcw2 so ppl don’t whyne like they do with QW

(SCi-Fi) #10

I had an idea too, it was we all play graw2… Well it was until i played the
demo… what can i say except for F***ing awful, Peggle lasted longer and
its still on my hd, on lvl 3 now woot!!

(criminal) #11

Interesting idea except in pratice it would be quite impossible for them to release versions of the game to these mappers…and how would you decide who gets them and who doesnt…hell everyone would be saying “i’ll make l33t maps gimme pre-release copy”

What WOULD be great is what bf1942 did in the begining was pick a map made by a member of the community and essentially make it an “official” addition that got patched in later…it was fun cause every month or so you would get a new high quality map to play on which kept the game fresh, and the guy or team that made it got “worldwide” recogntion for their work.

({UPS}Shroom[FR]) #12

Sorry I meant the kinda update patch that comes after the games released.

(Ryan) #13

LoL, after all this time working and delaying, I don’t think that they need to patch anything anymore when they DO release it :lol:

(murka) #14

they always do… a few hundred peps can’t find one bug that millions of people can…