Help clear somthing up about ranked servers

(Edn) #1

It seams with this new little bit of information on ranked servers has goten us all confused about how we can get our servers ranked. The information (posted on other topics so i wont repeat it here) seams to suggest we will only be able to run ranked servers from specific server providers i.e. the big guys.

What I want to know is will we server admins who run out own root* servers be able to run ranked servers on our box?

*root server for those who dont know is a server that you have complete and full control over i.e. root access, NOT a game server where you rent a server for a specific already installed game and could be sharing the same box with multiple people.

(Gunsling3r) #2

I dunno mate, getting me confused too! :?

I rent a dedicated server - i.e. the whole server, I do not share it with anybody else, which can run multiple games. Because I run Ranked BF2 and 2142 on it, I have restricted access. I don’t have remote desktop to it, but I have a web based Control Panel and FTP (which is limited on the Battlefield games).

I’m guessing that will be the same with ET:QW :?:

(ayatollah) #3

I think it has been said that only servers that are specifically allowed by SD/id/Atvi will be allowed to be ranked. If not you get the chance that people will mess with the stats on their server.

(badman) #4

That’s correct, ranked servers will only be provided through our GSP partners to ensure a consistent quality of service and to make sure people don’t run stat exploits on them. More information on how you can get your own ranked server and who will be providing them will hit these here intertubes at some point in the not so distant future.

(Gringo) #5

Well done chin, u get first prize!

(Brinkman) #6

i like that! no more xp save :slight_smile:
the mod community ruined ET for me, try finding a vanilla server that’s running out there… ti’s impossible :frowning:

(Gunsling3r) #7

Just wondering if the chosen GSP’s already know they will be running Ranked servers?

My GSP are being very cagey when asked about it :lol:

(BondyBoy007) #8

i like that! no more xp save :slight_smile:
the mod community ruined ET for me, try finding a vanilla server that’s running out there… ti’s impossible :([/quote]

it’s not impossible, use AllSeeingEye and set-up whatever filter you like

(Brinkman) #9

if i put on “filter out empty servers” then they all disapear

(IBegYouDontBecomeEA) #10

if i put on “filter out empty servers” then they all disapear[/quote]

could that be cause the mods are better? :slight_smile:

and look… we all know that ET:QW going to be more a cash cow for SD/ID then for the players like ET was

thats why theres ranked and unranked servers instead of “cilent side” stats

there will most likely be in game ADs

SD/id will soon have just as much player trust and MOD community trust as EA has

(madness) #11

Just wondering if the chosen GSP’s already know they will be running Ranked servers?

My GSP are being very cagey when asked about it :lol:[/quote]

They seem to have some ties with MyIS :?

(General.Jung) #12

Hello Forum,

please vote or write some lines, eventually it is not to late to stop this. Let us accomplish at least this accomplish.
Check out http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16710.

(Edn) #13

Thats very unfortunate badman, I was looking forward to being able to run a stats server. :frowning:

Oh well, if it stays that way, more power to the modding community, ill be directing my attention there.

(melb) #14

That is truly unfortunate news for admins such as myself who run dedicated boxes. It is a shame that something can’t be worked out to enable those of us with this type of setup the ability to run a ‘Ranked’ server.

(BondyBoy007) #15

setup a manual filter to filter for vanilla only, have you got an example of the script you used?

(ayatollah) #16

setup a manual filter to filter for vanilla only, have you got an example of the script you used?[/quote]

What he is saying is that noone is playing vanilla ET so when he searched for non-empty servers he gets none…

(Strogg) #17

This Question Directed To You Badman! . Why didnt you guys set the stats up on the client side? That way there would be no need for Stat Servers, no need to worrie about stat whores and that way there would be no need for ranked and non-ranked servers and we all would be running on the same server software. That way you would not spliting up the QW Community with Ranked and Non Ranked Servers

Just curious Badman.

(Snoofer) #18

focus on this guys: QW has a player auth system with unique names and some sort of IM

there are 3 possibilties:

ranked server available for everybody: after two weeks we have the fiorst cracked server and player with awesome high stats …

ranked server available only from licensed serverfarms

ranked server available for everybody AND a stats collecting system saving your stats for every server (and keep the massive amount of data)
cracked server can be thrown out of the stats -> 1. have fun administrating a whole server farm only for stats 2. have fun people complaining about stats loss because their favourite server has been blacklisted 3. do you want to test such a system with QW? better grab another game for it :slight_smile:

but one thing that can be done:
dont allow ingame ads for rentable servers (EULA or smth)
allow ingame ads for free or low cost (define that!) ranked server only

(kamikazee) #19

Better no ads. But that’s off-topic unless we dig up some in-game ads thread.

(Strogg) #20

Better no ads. But that’s off-topic unless we dig up some in-game ads thread.[/quote]

I dont mind the in game ads as long as they have them already put them in a map like on a building or billboard in the game. I would not mind see’n some Victoria Secret Stuff on a billboard in a map :evil: But having to download ads would really suck the big one :twak: