Death of bunnyhopping ?

(B0rsuk) #1

http://www.etqw.com/en/news/376-Rage-against-the-Machines---ET-QW-preview

[i]Taking a walk through the game, something – it is hard to pinpoint exactly what – reminds me of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. But my nostalgia ends abruptly when I attempt a reminiscent bunny-jump.

The momentum is different and try as I might – and I did try – the greatest acceleration I achieved was (estimated) about .5 mph. Maybe I am wrong, or just haven’t learnt that trick yet… but trickjumping doesn’t seem to be about to make a ‘comeback’ (if it ever left) in Quakewars.[/i]

Other interesting bits of info:
[i]2) Is it possible to swim?

Yes. But only just. Unlike W: ET, where players could swim freely in the water, rising and descending as needed, the ‘swimming’ in ET: QW is restricted to an undignified doggy-paddle style crawl along the surface of the water. “Swimming” felt more like walking, only much, much slower.[/i]

(signofzeta) #2

WHAT, you mean humans evolved so that they are floatation devices and cannot dive? I thought this was the future. :lol: :evil:

(kamikazee) #3

I believe skiing was possible with the Icarus, so don’t worry, tricks are still possible.

(B0rsuk) #4

Actually it’s interesting what’s the reasoning behind no diving. If you insist on realism, someone with 20+ kg backpack and heavy weapon(s) shouldn’t be able to swim very well. On the other hand, we’re talking about soldiers who can take several direct bullets and still happily run around.
This leads me to believe that there may be other reasons to disallow diving. Water in W:ET is quite bottleneck-ish, unlike ET:QW where you get big rivers. It could be really hard to prevent people from crossing the river underwater. The surface doesn’t look as translucent as it used to.

I’m not worried about lack of tricks. Actually I’m annoyed by tricks that come from engine glitches and not design. I’m happy Rocket Jumping is pretty much dead in all modern games. With some luck bunnyhopping will die soon, too.
We know that notheeeeeeeeng’s final, but if this guy is right…

(ktr) #5

I would say swimming in ETQW is basiclly wall jumping in WET (do to the double jump of some mods). This will allow people to skip many objectives, and make a quick and less fun victory.

with unlimited stamina, who needs bunny hopping now?

(Flesh) #6

Agree. Bunnyhoping wasnt realy some essential piece of ET gameplay. You didn’t use it in fights, only when youre far from the battle and need to get there quick or run away from it. Now you can use sprint for that. As for trickjumping, imo it wont be missed, it belongs to deathmatch games like Quake.

Also its a good thing that you cant swim underwater. That would be a huge distraction becouse with so much open space theres no need to go underwater as well.

(fart666) #7

I’m not worried about lack of tricks. Actually I’m annoyed by tricks that come from engine glitches and not design. I’m happy Rocket Jumping is pretty much dead in all modern games. With some luck bunnyhopping will die soon, too.

huh?..thats needs more explanation, or hey wait, just stfu and play rsvegas and never, really never play super mario or you would just recognice that jumping makes some kind of fun…actually

(carnage) #8

trickjumping is a bit of a double edged sword, from a design point of view its totally ruining the ww2 theme even from a semi realistic point of view. but the speed boost is great. having unlimited sprint seems a good compromise and to counter this you cant use weapons while spiriting so it has some great tactical implications as well

do you withdraw from a loosing fight backwards giving yourself some cover fire are turn on your heals and just run as fast as you can

the other thing is can see that would be a problem with trickjump is that with such open map is a road is built on a slight angle (even if just for aesthetic purposes) that it becomes a trickjumping speedway, so designers would be basically stuck with totally flat maps

of course all this speculation is pretty much pointless since the game isn’t released so there is no guarantee if it will even make it in or not. and with a new game and modified engine it might take some slight different technique that nobody who has play tested has manged to crack yet. i expect a lot of the fancy techniques/exploits will start to be discovered after the beta gets underway and a serious number of players start looking for anything that will give them an edge

(Sauron|EFG) #9

Trick jumping isn’t the same as bunny hopping. :roll:

(Lemming) #10

Bodyarmour. Not only does it add to the weight so swimming is harder, it also allows you to take several direct bullets and still run around

(carnage) #11

Bodyarmour. Not only does it add to the weight so swimming is harder, it also allows you to take several direct bullets and still run around[/quote]

yes extra weight when swimming generally makes it easier to swim under the water rather than on the surface and in the game you can only swim on the surface

(Nail) #12

could be to give the amphibious vehicles a surface to run on rather than trying to do all the buoyancy calculations

(Strogg) #13

I hope there is bunny hoping and stuff that was in UT2004 you could do flips and jumps and other kool stuff :smiley:

(Hakuryu) #14

It does kind of suck not having swimming. Underwater secondary entrances were popular in ET, and I loved playing CP destroyer with the Covert and using water to approach. The occasional knife + grenade fight underwater were fun too. Finally, lets not forget that castle map, where you escape with documents on that raft… fun times using water.

In Quake Wars however, you have free reign to go anywhere. It’s not like you will run into a river after the next hallway and be able to bypass a wall in front of you… just go around it (or over in a flyer). You won’t find any impassable mountains or sheer cliffs…go around or fly over.

I thought I read somewhere that the maps were just designed without swimming, but it would be possible to add underwater stuff in a user made map. I just wonder if any type of swimming animation will be in the game.

(signofzeta) #15

Quake wars can totally use some underwater tricks, like a valley, with a huge wall in front, but only way inside is underwater, or like in the top down view game, “Commandos”, a guy is all about scuba gear. Now that would rock if the covert ops has scuba gear and is the only class that could dive. Same with infiltrator. Unfortunately, I’ve never seen Doom 3, Quake 4, with water that you can dive into. So maybe it is the doom 3 engine’s fault that we can’t dive underwater.

(General.Jung) #16

Hello Forum,

i think Bunny Hopping destroys the gameplay of teamshooter, fun shooter ok, but not for teamshooter. I hope thats dead for bunny hopping for this kind of game. Quake is another gameplay. What me more disconcerts is the less accuracy. I hope they will fix it.

(EnderWiggin.DA.) #17

Team Fortress 2. Keeping the jumping fun alive in team gaming!

Unless you mean modern as in “modern combat.”

(bartreligion) #18

I just hope dolpin diving isn’t part of this game.

it totally ruined BF2

(Nail) #19

it’s called “Tapir Diving” in ET:QW
you can only do it with the Husky

(101uk) #20

I dont think bunny hopping ruins a teamshooter, what does, is people crying, cos they cant hit a moving target and demanding a patch to remove it (BF2). If its part of a game then surely people should learn to compensate for it and thus become better players. Im just glad SD arent going to be nerfing ETQW for noobs.