Global Stats Questions

(SKaREO) #1

I want to open up a peep hole on the global stats. I had a couple questions, and I’m sure others have a few of their own. I realise we can’t get answers about everything, the staff are working double time right now, but a bit of info would really help us adjust to having global statistics.

I was in BF2142 briefly, it was so damned buggy and the game design was plagued by the global stats system, I had to quit playing. People were constantly hogging the vehicles, camping, using cheats or whatever they could do to have an advantage and get “better stats.” I’m telling you, it changed the entire game. With a more fair stats system that reflected good actions, instead of selfishness, BF2142 would have been a lot more fun.

My Question: How is the stats system setup to balance game play issues such as the one I mentioned above? Will it reward good team work and play style (supportive players)?

(General.Jung) #2

Hello SKaREO,

i agree with your fear, but i also love a good statistics system. I heard that the Statistic System is more focus on teamplay actions, so it sounds fair. I do not know what actions were meant specifically.

(jeeves) #3

even if it does people only care about kill/death ratio

(SKaREO) #4

K/D ratio will go up if you have a better team, trust me, team work is the key here. Just because some d00d has a 4:1 K/D ratio doesn’t mean he’s a good team player at all. What should matter most is accuracy, how many shots you land on your targets, and in what spots you hit them. If you go out of your way to help another player rather than try to take his kill, that should be reflected in your stats. This shows you care about your team first.

(Ifurita) #5

Trying to remember what I read from the various articles (couldn’t find one to cite) but if I recall correctly, the global ranks will be a function of attaining level across classes. I took this to mean that someone couldn’t be a Field Ops whore and just rank up by calling arty on people - that they’d have to do really well across all classes. That would be interesting in itself, that it would make people play outside of their comfort zones.

Don’t know how familiar you are with the ET XP system and there hasn’t been much said about what generates XP, but I imagine (other than killing people) it’s revives, fixing stuff, building stuff, completing objectives (so coverts, soldiers, and engies) have their own objectives, capturing spawns, killing stuff with turrets, destroying turrets … all of which move the game forward.

Some of the stupid things that ETers would do would be to have a field ops and med stand there shooting each other and exchanging packs and ammo to level up or /kill out before the opponent killed you so that they wouldn’t get XP for the kill. Hopefully that will all be sorted out.

(SKaREO) #6

I still don’t see how that rewards good player actions. Is there more details available for the answer? I would really like to know more about that.

This was referred to as “stat-padding” in the BF games. Its a pretty lame way to gain ranks in the game, and it is outright cheating. You can’t avoid low-lives that do stuff like that, but you can prevent it through good programming. You’re telling me its not possible to determine who is stat-padding by the end of a round by using a simple script? Its obvious when someone’s score is FAR above the average of his team, or he has over 4000 points in one round!

While I’m here I might as well ask the next most pertinent question on my mind. In BF2142 they had all the stats running through a master server and it caused my game to be buggy when it was not working properly. I would have missing unlocks, missing ranks, missing stats, kills that weren’t mine, deaths that never happened, etc, etc.

Question: Will your global stats be accounted for by a master server? If that master server gets DDoS’d or just screws up and shuts down, how will that effect the game play?

(Snoofer) #7

everything I gathered in the last weeks:

stats are global
stats are only for your rank
you get no unlocks if high ranked
the primary intention of the stats is to reward teamplay
you get more statpoints for teamplay than for killing

xp-system is local and per campaign only
unlocks are based on the xp-system

in BF every kill counts for unlocks, in QW:ET teamplay counts for unlocks (but only for the runnig map and maybe for the next two) and globally for ranks

two alternatives (afaik):
stats and login server are combined -> you are screwed if the server is, its the authentication system …
stats and login server are different -> I hope you are not screwed, it depends on the programmers mercy

and last: its ET, form SD, they told us they gonna watch the gameplay after release and intervene (I think I read this somewhere)
BF was programmed by somebody, QW:ET by SD, THAT counts :slight_smile:

(Ifurita) #8

Still can’t find that cite. In any case, what kind of good player actions are you looking for and maybe I can frame a response based on what I know about ET and what I hope they fix in ETQW.

(Snoofer) #9

http://www.quake-wars.nl/content/view/132/171/

Q8 - Can you tell us more about the announced persistent global ranking system? Battlefield2 has such a system and I liked it a lot just to compare my skills (or lack of) with my friends

It’s going to be great! :slight_smile: The persistent system includes a wide array of achievements you can attain and the military ranks you’re promoted to as a result. Each achievement requires the successful completion of a set of teamplay tasks (such as completing objectives, or supporting teammates) that relate to one class, and these in turn result in promotion.

This approach works really well because you can’t gain military rank simply by repeating actions (such as sniping from the top of a hill for six months), any more than you would do in the real military. You can certainly get promoted through the early ranks through combat alone, but to make Commissioned Officer status and above, it will take success at teamplay across the game.

The result is that your military rank actually demonstrates your teamplay ability. We think that’s important - when you see a high military rank, you know the guy deserves respect for his achievements.

(M8DNanite) #10

Stats rewarding is difficult. Looks good in paper. You know DICE was also pointing out that in BF2 you are rewarded more for teamplay.

You get as many points from kill or from reviving (2 points)
you get 1 extra point for killing enemy in own flag area (flag defend)
You get +1 for heal or giving ammo
2+2 for getting objective (flag)
-4 or -6 for TK

Still the bf2 is how it is, people complaining about stat whores.
One good with those scores is that people will definetly avoid TKs, or then again try to make other people to tk them by jumping in front of a plane they didnt get :evil:

Two more important thing for ETQW to avoid what happened with BF2 stats crappiness.
Give stats abitily to custom maps, private servers. (uncertain at this moment)
No weapon unlocks (done)

(SKaREO) #11

Thank you Snoofer, and thank you all for contributing so far.

It seems like they put more thought in the team play actions, which is great. That’s what I was hoping for. I suppose the rest is just small details. For instance, will you be putting more important stats (accuracy, team work score) up higher on the list; while less important (or circumstantial) statistics, such as K/D Ratio and total wins/losses could go lower on the list of importance.

It would be good to know what measures have been taken to fight cheating the stats system, and how they plan to record all the stats. Will the stats be recorded on a master server? Will the server be able to determine a stat padder and refuse to reward him his stats?

(Strogg) #12

Not me bud :rofl: … I could care less about the stats. I played Tribes 2 for 5 years and not once did I look at my stats. I dont play deathmatch games! I am a team player. I only play for the end result… Winning The game!

Remeber!!! Kills dont win games Period!! ( unless you play deathmatch games ) In the Case Of Quake Wars… Objectives Wins Games!!

P.S. Also

I have to agree that BF2142 really sucked the big one. With All The CTD’s and other hundreds of issues. So I sold the game for 25 bux just to get some of the money back I paid for BF2142.

I just hope QW deleveopers have go their S!!! together and got most of the bugs out of the game So I dont have to go thru what I had with BF2142 !

Cya :smiley:

(signofzeta) #13

nah, I see some people playing in pub servers who are like, yay MOST FRAGS, and they are on the losing team, and they feel a sense they won. Can’t stop those people from doing that in quake wars can they.

(AKA Sneaky) #14

There is normal xp (and bonus) through a single campaign which reset afterward, you get rewards for completing class objective. But nothing to give an advantage over another player (no permament bonus, weapons etc…), the stats are passive. I think they mentionned perm medals (like the ones in WET) to promote teamplay and missions objectives (which are passive and does absolutely nothing). thanks god. I could care less about stats, but since the servers that logs the stats have to be ID/SD approved, you will always get the classic map/no mods servers around for more serious gaming.

(AKA Sneaky) #15

Well, you can have a team that will lose but 1 or 2 guys are better than the rest. Team stacking is bad. And yes it takes alot of skill to rack up the frags on the losing team. Believe or not the only way you can win is by fragging and going for the objectives.

(signofzeta) #16

not unless both teams are trying to lose. Of course the losing team would be allies, because I seen a frag fest when I was playing on goldrush. Axis won because time ran out. I’ve seen some allies trying to advance the tank while the others were fragging. But of course that fails. And the allies overall had more frags than axis did.

(RR2DO2) #17

You’re confusing stats and unlocks. Our stat system can be better compared to what games like Halo 2 and UT2k3 etc offer than the MMORPG style approach 2142 has.

• Arnout

(SKaREO) #18

I don’t understand what you mean because I’ve never played those games before.

Looks like this is just another n00b title. Have fun with it, I’ll be buying much more interesting titles that are coming up.

Oh and I tried W:ET, it was the worst FPS I have ever played…

(Strogg) #19

Looks like this is just another n00b title. Have fun with it, I’ll be buying much more interesting titles that are coming up.[/quote]

Ya stuff like DONKEY KONG 5000 and MS PACKMAN 2007 :evil: :evil: :evil:

OK BYE!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

(darki) #20

I don’t understand what you mean because I’ve never played those games before.

Looks like this is just another n00b title. Have fun with it, I’ll be buying much more interesting titles that are coming up.

Oh and I tried W:ET, it was the worst FPS I have ever played…[/quote]

np, nobody will miss you