A few ideas for the expansion from a regular player of RTCW

(TheMedic) #1

Ideas for

Medic:

Explosive Serum: If a medic injects the chemical into the body of a fallen enemy soldier waiting for a medic, the soldier will die yet their body will continue to look like they are waiting for the medic. If the soldier is later injected with a healing serum from a member of their team the two chemicals will react and there will be an explosion – perhaps of the same strength as a grenade.

Engineer:

Allow Engineers to link mines to the opening of doors / hatches – perhaps it would take longer to set up than simply placing the mine on the ground.

General:

The ability to move and lay on your stomach would be a nice addition.

(Boltman) #2

Well i have some ideas too, but let me comment yours first:

Explosive serum: It would be a little cheap because you can’t tell if a corpse on ground has it or not, so most medics will stop reviving team members, making the medic a more individualist class =. And if i were infected i would go to limbo menu right away to avoid killing my team member :smile:

My idea is to give medics a toxic gas grenade, that would last on ground for 30 seconds, it would not deal damage to enemies but it would make their vision blur and cause them to blink a lot, thus making them easy to kill. The effect should last for 15 secs after the enemy leave the grenade’s area of effect.

Another idea is to put shotguns in the game and make them avaiable only to the soldiers and medics. Shotguns should deal huge damage and close range, and even decapitate if a close shot hits the head :smile: At long range it should have huge spread area and low damage.

General Ideas: More voice chats. I have asked lots of friends and they all agree that there are 3 important VCs missing: Hold on, wait for me and i’m coming/i’m on my way. Please put them into the game.

And one last thing: The game is getting too much like TF. Please don’t make that. Enginners building things on the battlefield, grenade launchers, ““spy”” class are all old ideas. Please make something really new, never seen before.

(LaVaGoD) #3

If I read this right then this is cool.

This is something new that the engy can do thats like/not like TF. The ablity to build a gun on the ground and use it is pretty cool. Lets say you capture a point on a map and you would like some heavy fire power to keep that section but cant keep all your buddys there to help because they need to progress on in the map, so you have an eng build a gun and you man it and cover that area. That is pretty freaking cool and helpful. The stationary guns in there now that you can use help but some times you just need one in another spot than where the map maker put it.

RTCW is pretty much leaning towards the TF style play as it is anyways, but I think the SplashDamage guys will do a good job on the final product. Please continue to post your idea’s here, because they do look at them.

(Boltman) #4

well, i got a new idea for the expansion today. It would be great if the Covert Ops class wasn’t all about of sneaking behind enemy lines but also be able to make distractions. I think some flash or smoke grenades in his arsenal(very limited though) would be great.

And about the Snooper Rifle, i think its best if its stay out of the game… or at least lowers its damage. Because there will be no more sniper soldiers if other class has a nightvision-silenced-sniper-mauser. You could put a silenced mouser with no sniper scope in it’s place, or maybe the paratrooper rifle with lower damage. Anyway, just my opinions.

(TheMedic) #5

The last person mentioned a good point I was thinking about. I loved the Snooper rifle in the single player game - but it was definitely superior to the Mauser.

The way I look at it, there are three options: make the Snooper worse, make the Mauser better - or a bit of both.

In my opinion there are some obvious ways to enhance the Mauser.

1. No flash - or bullet line - or perhaps just less obvious, so it makes Mauser shots harder to spot.

2. Quicker reload time

3. Less kick back. (No kick back)

The thing about the snooper rifle is that it has no kick back and it has a reasonably short reload time - can’t remember if it is shorter than Mauser or not…

That being said - I think a properly balanced Snooper rifle definitely would add to the game.

Another general thing I thought would be neat would be the ability to change the dificulty of the bots at runtime. If the person who created the server realized that the bots were either too tough or too easy they could adjust it right away. There should also be the option before a map starts to select ‘Only adjust to Tougher’ or some such thing, to resist the temptation of making the bots easier prematurly.

(Boltman) #6

about Lavagod post:
I think it would be better if an enginner could “paint” a mark on the ground to start building things so that he could build MG42 almost everywhere (thus making this easier for mappers as they won’t have to put trigger textures everywhere) or maybe giving enginners little materials to start building or no materials at all, so they would need to find a place to get metal, wood, etc, instead of “taking it out of his pocket”. Of course there would be specific structures build point, but my idea was that there would be no structure that an enginner can build alone. Some buildings, like bridges, should require 4 or so enginners working at the same time, so the game doesn’t become too cheap (say, bridges get built in 10 secs by only one enginner =P) and neither too boring (building things in a looong time).

I saw an idea somewhere about making MG42 guns having limited ammo. I think it would be better if the player-built machine guns needed ammo, but not the ones already in the map.

(SolDieR-RayBolt) #7

I think the medics needle should kill a fallen enemy soldier so he could not be revived. It would be like a Josef Mengele’s needle of death. It would add to the gameplay.
I think the Engineers Dynamite should be tweaked so that the flashing red glow blinks faster and faster as it nears the time it explodes. This slight visual clue might be an improvement in the game.
I think the soldier class should be able to pass something out like a waterbag which would restore the energy bar instantly.

(bani) #8

Here’s an idea I came up with a while back:

A new player class, the commanding officer. The CO gets a knife and a pistol and thats it.

The CO can set waypoints for players by using binoculars and firing similarly to LT artillery fire calls. It will set a numbered marker which they can then direct players to “attack at waypoint 1” or “defend at waypoint 3”. Players would see their designated waypoint on their screen and on their compass.

This would allow teams to coordinate much better.

Killing the enemy CO would remove all the enemy waypoints, thus throwing them into disarray.

Optional: A team with a CO gets 1 extra ammo clip per player class.

Optional: A team with a CO gets their respawn time reduced.

Optional: Each map has a “playbook” which the CO can choose from. When the CO chooses a “play”, players on that team see the “play” laid out by markers (white lines? transparent arrows? X marks the spot?) which the players are supposed to follow. Killing the enemy CO will kill their markers and their play.

(TheMedic) #9

The problem with setting way points is that most people would ignore them. People tend to do their own thing.

Another problem is that anyone who played the commanding officer would really be out of the action. Granted some people probably would like that. The commanding officer idea seems to a be a very large deviation from the other classes. That’s not nessesarily a bad thing - but would the class be used enough?

(bani) #10

On 2002-06-21 07:07, TheMedic wrote:
The problem with setting way points is that most people would ignore them. People tend to do their own thing.

Another problem is that anyone who played the commanding officer would really be out of the action. Granted some people probably would like that. The commanding officer idea seems to a be a very large deviation from the other classes. That’s not nessesarily a bad thing - but would the class be used enough?

You would have to give the class enough features to be attractive. I suspect CO would be very popular for tournaments. But for pubs who knows.

So give players incentive to get to waypoints. They get points / health / etc.

Maybe give teams who have a live CO extra “morale”, so their stamina charges faster. Or maybe speed up their recharge rates. Or maybe make players move faster.

Theres a lot of possibilities with a CO class.

(Imwithstupid) #11

Uh, about the snooper rifle people were mentioning earlier, why not have it use the power bar? you can have 1 incredibly powerful shot per half bar or something like that. you’d get 2 rounds per full bar, sort of like a scoped panzer but faster to make it worth using. the mauser really shouldnt be as loud and should actually be ACCURATE when used without the scope, ever notice its IMPOSSIBLE to hit anything if you don’t use the scope? i mean c’mon, any rifling gun doesn’t wild fire like that :smile: About the paratrooper gun, make it do like 3/4 the damage of the thompson or mp40 and it would probably be ok. the clip is small and you shouldn’t get much ammo, if the scoped rang is say half that of the mauser that would probably counter it’s usefulness and not turn everyone into a paratrooper :wink: another thing i think would have been cool is if in the original RTCW that heavy weapons soldiers in multi look like they do in single… the flamethrower/venom trooper looks pretty freakin cool, why can’t -I- look like that? lol oh and one more thing. not that this would be ever implemented or anything, but wouldn’t it be cool if you could suicide bomb as a soldier if say your life was down to 25%, you could pull the pins out of ALL your grenades at once and you couldn’t throw them but they tick down till they all explode at once? sure, you’d kill yourself but if you’re almost dead sometimes you want to take them with you. you’d definitely need some sort of prereq like near death to do this tho, otherwise people would just charge enemy lines or defenses and suicide them. i mean people do that with flamers and panzers as it is… just my 2¢ Ciao!

(TheMedic) #12

The last poster mentioned some very interesting ideas. One idea I thought of recently would be a remote control explosive. Not as powerful as dynamite, but perhaps slightly more powerful than a grenade.

The way I figure it, the device would be planted - perhaps it would take a few seconds to set, then the person who set it would have to stay within a certain distance to trigger then explosive. I also think that a person should not be able to plant another explosive until the first one was detonated. I was also thinking this might be an interesting addition to the soldier - being that the Engineer class is going to be really beefed up - or perhaps even add it to the new class that will be included with the expansion.

Anyway, just thought I’d mention it. I don’t think it would unbalance the game, and it would definitely be a fun new addition.

(TheMedic) #13

Just thought of something that would be useful (and I would assume very easy to implement.) Why not allow players to vote on changing the respawn time. Maybe have four options

1. Vote for 5 second quicker respawn
  2. Vote for 10 second quicker respawn
  3. Vote for 5 second slower respawn
  4. Vote for 10 second slower repawn

Something like that…

(Boltman) #14

well, finnaly people are posting again! Now lets discuss some of the new ideas.

-Bani-
The CO wouldn’t be useful the way it is. You can try either global operations and tribes 2 and you’ll see that non-combat classes aren’t popular - or useful - at all. If only the CO could ride a warhorse or something NEW like that it would be really cool.

The mauser should really have a much smaller spread. Something like sten.

Paratrooper Rifle with 3/4 Thompson damage? I hope you meant 4/3. Smaller clip, not so better aim (play SP wolf and you’ll see that even if you use the scope, sometimes you’ll miss shots at a medium distance. Besides, it shots much slower than any SMG.)

-Imwithstupid-
The idea of the snooper rifle using the power bar is really cool. However the power bar takes an average of 45s to charge up so I think 2 shots are too few. 3 would be better.
About the suicide thing, I think it would be too cheap. If you were about to die you probably woudn’t have enough strengh to stand on your feet. What about running wild with a time bomb? If the game were really realistic it wouldn’t be fun.

The all-different looking soldiers would be cool but i don’t think SD will be implementing them. Why? It’ll not make the game sell more. =P

-TheMedic-
The time/remote explosive would be a little cheap too, unless it uses the Enginner power bar(FULL USE). Since you can put in very tight places and get the hole enemy team.

Some NEW IDEAS :
If the Covert Ops backstabs someone his disguise remains intact. (Or maybe uses the knife at all)
Give smoke grenades to the Covert Ops(I insist on these, i don’t like using half the lts bar to make a smoke grenade, besides it can TK if in a open space)

Soldiers should have 50% more stamina or 20 points more life. They are much more well-trained than the other classes, so they should have an advantage over them.

OR

What if soldiers could pick an SMG for slot 3 and a heavy weapon for slot 4? (thus negleting the above modifications)?

All heavy weapons were made so in a overall they aren’t so much superior than the SMGs. That is a mistake. Panzerfausts don’t take 30 seconds to reload or machineguns overheat so quickly. And the weapons even reduce your speed. That sucks. Soldiers exclusive weapons should be boosted.

(TheMedic) #15

I don’t think the remote controlled explosive would nessesarily be cheap - no more so than a Panzerfaust. You’d have to limit how many could be dropped - as I mentioned earlier, no more than one at any one time sounds fair - without being excessivly cheap. The whole think could be tweaked - for example say it only explodes 4 seconds after the detonators been pushed, or it flashes brightly three seconds before it explodes - you get the idea - I think it could be made to work - and it would be fun.

I do agree with you though - a smoke grenade would be cool - and should be easy to implement.

And as I mentioned earlier if the Snooper rifle is going to be implemented the Mauser HAS to be improved.

(Boltman) #16

-TheMedic-
maybe if the snooper rifle uses the powerbar to shoot then the mauser doesn’t need any tweaking. But I still think that it should have a much better accuracy without the scope.

(WeblionX) #17

-For some class-
Electric grenade? Like a grenade, but only works when thrown in water and electrocutes people within a certain radius? (Or if it detonates when it hits a person)
-Ops/Engy class-
Small camera (Placed on some part of an ops body) that can transmit to a nearby Engineer built TV thing? It’d probably be a small picture, 1/8 or less than the screen size. Also, to balance it, it might be able to transmit a certain range. Looks around room
Flashlights? I think I’ll just stop before I hurt myself…

(Boltman) #18

Hey again

I was thinking about the new CO class again and i came up with some ideas and questions.

First question is if someone attacks the CO his disguise will be blowed. I hope not, because everyone will start shooting at others feets to see if they’re COs or not.

The Snooper rifle should have an option to turn nightvision on/off. Sometimes nightvision can be worse than normal vision.

Backstabbing someone if you are a CO should always do an instant kill. (sometimes a backstab dont kill on the first stab.) Backstabbing should also NOT blow the CO disguise.

Also i remeber somewhere seeing a staff member asking what could they do to improve medics. I believe a toxic gas grenade , that releases small amounts of gas over a great time could be invaluable strategic weapons. Think of the twin towers in the gate area of the assault map, or the wine cellar in the village map. everyone who gets near the toxic gast would start to shake a lot (hard to aim), foggy vision, slower movement, etc. There are plenty of possibilities.

(TheMedic) #19

Recently I’ve been playing demos of Battlefield 1942 and Raven Shield - one thing I find interesting is that in both games every weapon has a zoom in feature. Sniper rifles zoom in a substantial amount, while pistols only zoom in slightly.

I think it’s a really interesting feature - I was wondering what other people thought?

Do you think it would be a beneficial addition to Enemy Territory?