Quake Wars at school

(BrokenHeart) #1

Thought I share this with you, maybe someone will find it amusing…

At my old age of 27 I decided to go back to school (IT apprenticeship). And of course, they’re teaching english (I’m german, btw). So, the teacher told us, that everyone has to get in front of the class and has to speak freely about a topic he’s interested in.

I chose: Quake Wars.

So I was standing in front of my class, telling them about medics, engineers, the stroggs and the megatexture. And got an “A” rating for it.

:banana:

So the circle has been closed. I learned english with computer games (Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken…), and now, some 20 years later, I get grades for it.

(eiM) #2

great job! :smiley:

in my english class we made a little moviecontest in the past
and my friends and me made kinda esports news like maybe Giga for germany …
also got a A (1) for it^^

(kewlchyn) #3

funny thing - 1 is the worst grade in Poland :smiley:

(SpetSnaZ) #4

Same in Holland

(Loffy) #5

Almost all institutions of higher education in Europe use numerical grades or letter grades. 1-10 is the most common scale, where 10 is the highest (best) grade - except in Germany, where 1 is the highest grade.
Sweden stands out, with its non-numerical scale with only two passing grades: Pass and Pass with Distinction. (Some courses, in for example engineering, have a scale that goes 1-5, but most courses have Pass and Pass with Distinction.)
SD, see what happens when we dont get the game. We idle and toss boring facts around.

(SCDS_reyalP) #6

The traditional American system is letter grades (best to worst) A,B,C,D and F, with a possible + or - modifier. The fact that E is missing should tell you something about just how well this system works :clap:

(fattakin) #7

The American marking system is also quite easy compared to the UK, Were we follow A-F. a UK C grade is eqlivant to a US A grade. We were told this what at school doing A Levels. When i studied for a Year in a US college i was getting a 3.5 grade point average while drinking, smoking and partying every night so i now believe this to be a FACT!

(Gringo) #8

We are considerably smarter than you! :smiley:

(Nail) #9

Being Canadian, I’ve always had great sympathy for those who aren’t

:tapir:

(Wongo) #10

:slight_smile: IN england the higher education IE UNI = 1-3 1 best 3 worst , 1 ,2-1, 2-2, 3 could be wrong on the middle 2 as i normally get it wrong.

(Domipheus) #11

This thread has morphed somewhat!

In scotland, standard grades (gcse’s) go from 1-7, with 1 being the best, 6 the worst and 7 an outright fail.

Highers (A-levels) go from A->F as usual if i remember, without +/- modifiers.

Advanced Highers (more than A-level, usually considered 1st year uni (but not really) graded same as Highers.

Scottish uni courses usually last 4 years for honours, and 3 for designated.

Nice one on the presentation :smiley:

(CodE-E) #12

In the International Baccalaureate (IB), which is used by a lot of international schools, 7: best and 1: worst. o_O

(kamikazee) #13

All those quotations… As students we use “passed” or “failed”. How easy can it get? :mrgreen:

(zeh) #14

At my old age of 27 I decided to go back to school

Funny, I also went back to college when I was 27. Never had a degree so I decided it’d be cool to get one (“Digital Interface Design”) now that I finally had the money for it. Now I’m 29, still 2 years left on my 4-year course.

Here in Brazil our grades usually go from 0 (worst) to 10 (best), or A (best) to E (worst). Depends a lot on the school, although A-E is only common during primary education.