ET: Quake Racers mod

(Sir. Eden) #1

Broken Pixel Productions is working on Enemy Territory: Quake Racers turning the QW into a race track. Frac the original developer of Battleracer for BF2 will be leading the mod and we hope to bring a fairly different type of mod than your usually war type mod to the game.

Thought id get your comments on this. I’ll get more details about it at a later date (because im useless at wrteing posts :stuck_out_tongue: )

btw our server is currently down so those links wont work till tomorrow morning :frowning:

(Ifurita) #2

/me misses QPong

(ouroboro) #3

I just got the urge to play HL Rally.

(fattakin) #4

Could be fun when taking a break from the main game! Good Luck!

(jimb0) #5

well, although i usually frown when seeing mods announced before the game is even out, i think this could be pretty good and wish you good luck.

(taken) #6

Love the sir mods and movies, keep it up guys <3 :slight_smile:

(nUllSkillZ) #7

There’s already another ET:QW racing mod.
Not sure if it still exists:
Wheels of War

(Sir. Eden) #8

Ha so there is, ill need to find out if there still active.

taken this isnt a Sir. mod (my name just says sir. because i haven’t gotten it changed)

(Locki) #9

I probably spend more time than is healthy racing round our maps in the Badger Truck and Anansi Hovercopter :).

I’ve often thought that a good racing mod could be made on ETQW. Many of our maps contain great circular routes for off-roading, short-cuts that require trick jumps and interesting obstacles to fly through. The first-person cockpit and steering wheel in the Badger (with our camera damping) makes the off-road driving experience feel pretty realistic, with power-slides and hand-brake turns. We’ve tweaked the vehicles for combat, but it’s easy to modify the scripts to make them behave more like rally cars. The vehicle physics are perfectly suited for multiplayer racing! Ironically, one reason multiplayer racing games have not been too succesful is because of the insane netork traffic that comes from having good physics, but we’ve overcome that.

I had a bunch of ideas that you might fancy trying… The first requires two players per vehicle; one pilot and one gunner. The gunner’s job is to try and disable the opponents vehicle, shooting off wheels and so on, while the pilot would play Engineer and jump out when necessary to repair. If the team got far enough ahead, the Engineer could even start placing Land Mines along the route :). The vehicle drop system would allow players whose vehicles were completely destroyed to get a replacement in the field (obviously with a time penalty represented by waiting for delivery).

Because the maps feature alternate routes that are faster but require trick jumps, there’s some good potential for exploiting those too, For the Anansi Hovercopter, there are lots of interesting obstacles to fly under or through.

The mod could be pretty straight forward, making use of existing vehicles like the Husky, Hog, Badger, Anansi and Hornet, and using the existing maps, but adding a check-point system (that might require specific tricks – like flying through a gate inverted, or flying ultra low for a time, or performing hard jumps and tricks in the Husky Quad Bike - I’ve done some stuff on the edge of hills in the Husky that you’d be surpised to see people do on a BMX :). Some minor changes to the interface (such as a Stop-watch, modified command map showing the route and so on) are probably all you’d then need!

Good luck! I’d definitely play an ETQW racing game!

Paul/Locki.

(Joe999) #10

i’m curious: could you theoretically drive through a looping with the quake wars engine? or given a C loop, would you fly upside down with your vehicle?

(nUllSkillZ) #11

Problem I see is to make it balanced for small, fast and big, slow vehicles.

(SpetSnaZ) #12

WOW this sounds great!!
But Paul c’mon dont waist ur time posting.
Focus on finishing QW! LoL!

(Locki) #13

Yes you can - we have a loop in our vehicle test track.

(SniperSteve) #14

yeah, this could be a really great multiplayer combat racing mod :smiley:

(nUllSkillZ) #15

May be it’s possible to create some hoverboards too.
If hovering tanks are possible.
(Yep stole this idea from new UT.)
May be also some kind of ski-racing mod.

(iwound) #16

Sounds a bit wacky races to me, would the driver have an handle-bar moustache and shout Mutley set the mines if you want a medal

nice pics on the myspace. :eek3:

(madness) #17

I’d prefer pure racing : P
not getting shot to pieces after you catch up with the leader :x

(Fullforce) #18

Wow, Locki, really nice to hear some feedback from you! Thats a real honour. :smiley:

Well certainly, gamemodes can be made - straight up racing, but also taking use of the damage modelling (wheels and such) would be really cool.

(Joe999) #19

awesome. where can i buy? and when? :smiley:

(Chruker) #20

I’d prefer pure racing : P
not getting shot to pieces after you catch up with the leader :x

One of the great things that I miss from games like Super Cars 2 on the Amiga, is the ability to launch a barrage of rocket after whoever overtook you when you crashed into the side on the previous corner.