Including the 2.60b patch in the downloads section

(Tron) #1

The other day, ETPro 3.2.6 was officially released. As has been discussed here before, it requires the ET patch 2.60b on the client to work. A few public servers have already been updated and the vast majority of them are empty. The reason is simple, many people don’t know about this requirement and must be shocked by that “incorrect et.exe version” error. Could the site admins therefore please include 2.60b in the downloads section as to give it an official status and to draw the attention of the players to it? :slight_smile:

Here’s a URL from id Software: ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/et/ET-2.60b.zip

EDIT A friend of mine suggested to go even further with this request: To avoid confusion, it would certainly be ideal to give that patch a new version number altogether, like 2.61. This would require more involvement by Splashdamage obviously. :wink:

(mortis) #2

I would love to see a forced migration to 2.60b, for a variety of server security and anticheat reasons. Is there any chance of getting an official “Upgrade now!” patch?

(fattakin) #3

i mus’nt have been paying attention but what does 2.6b add?

why does the new etpro need it?

just seems to be marginalising things even more?

(kamikazee) #4

2.60b adds a few security fixes in the engine.
Right now, a malicious server admin could add a script to his server to do with your system what he wants. Why not fix it?

(DG) #5

ETPro 3.2.6 download mirror at ETNation
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 2.60b patch download mirror at ETNation

(YourFather_CZ) #6

I think that if on server is version 2.60b and client has only 2.60… so client version will be updated automatically ( …if client has enabled checking for new version).

But i think that instaling via instalation pack is more better that only copying (it is too hard for newbies …i think).

You can download 2.60b here and ETPro 3.2.6 also. Both things have already been there since the day of release… :chef:

BTW: but best is when complete instalation of Wolf:ET will be in 2.60b version :blah:

(Nail) #7

I think that if on server is version 2.60b a client has only 2.60… so clien version will be updated automatically

incorrect,
a 2.60 client can play on a 2.60b server
a 2.60 client can play on a etpro 3.2.5 server with 2.60b patch
a 2.60b client cannot play on a etpro 3.2.5 server with 2.60b patch
2.60b client is required on etpro 3.2.6 server with 2.60b patch

remember to read and follow install instructions for 2.60b client patch

hope that clears things up a bit

(YourFather_CZ) #8

I read that but just it is to far from this day… :eek:

This was my bad: "If you run a server with any older version, please upgrade or consider turning off autodownload ( set sv_allowDownload to 0 ). Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory servers http/ftp download feature is not affected by CVE-2006-2082. If you don’t wish to upgrade, you can decide to only enable http/ftp downloads and disable legacy downloads in that particular case.
" … i handled it with autoupdating. :smiley:

(Lekdevil.NL) #9

[quote=<Your>Father<CZ>] If you don’t wish to upgrade, you can decide to only enable http/ftp downloads and disable legacy downloads in that particular case.
[/quote]
Only problem being, of course, that there’s no way to disable legacy downloading whilst enabling http/ftp downloads. Someone who wrote that readme at ActiSplashid must have been asleep behind the wheel. :wink:

(nUllSkillZ) #10

I think because ET-Pro requires client V2.60b and all the other mods require client V2.60 will split the community in Pro and Pub.

(Nail) #11

that’s not true, afaik, etpro was only mod affected by 2.60b, I thought the other mods, eg: etpub worked with 2.60b, am I wrong here ??

(SCDS_reyalP) #12

You are correct, etpro is the only mod that requires a particular client exe.

As soon as the leagues finish updating to the new etpro, there shouldn’t be any reason for anyone to stay on 2.60.

If people need to be able to connect to both versions, you just need to use the right et.exe for that version.

(CyburK) #13

yeah this is really something i am worried about. there are going to be lots of servers with the old etpro version cause of lazy admins. maybe a complete new patch would help?

(ouroboro) #14

yeah this is really something i am worried about. there are going to be lots of servers with the old etpro version cause of lazy admins. maybe a complete new patch would help?[/quote]

I’d rather call it lazy clients making admins leery of updating to an empty server. As reyalP has said umpteen-million times, all clients need to do is put the 2.60b executable, renamed, alongside their 2.60 executable. Both can co-exist.

(CyburK) #15

yeah this is really something i am worried about. there are going to be lots of servers with the old etpro version cause of lazy admins. maybe a complete new patch would help?[/quote]

I’d rather call it lazy clients making admins leery of updating to an empty server. As reyalP has said umpteen-million times, all clients need to do is put the 2.60b executable, renamed, alongside their 2.60 executable. Both can co-exist.[/quote]

i have it just that way. but a game should be easy for all users and this is no long time solution.

(kamikazee) #16

Just let most people install it. 2.60b is needed if you want to play safe.

There are people who choose to play 2.55, let them have it their way. Of course, I’m not surprised if some bot floods them of their servers.

(Chruker) #17

Does anybody know why etpro requires the updated exe? Is it just to spread its usage? Or does it rely on something in there (besides the bugfix)?

(Lekdevil.NL) #18

ETPro checks the integrity of the ET executable on the client. ETPro 3.2.5 expects to see the 2.60 client, whilst 3.2.6 wants to see the 2.60b client. Get it wrong and the server will kick you for failing the integrity check.

(Lagger) #19

In 20/20 hindsight it’s pretty clear that all this could be fixed with a more verbose error message :frowning:

(mortis) #20

I motion that all servers must be migrated to 2.60b if they want to appear on the master server list, and that ‘official’ patches be issued, since having multiple incompatible versions flying around is going to get really confusing to casual players.