Microphone no sound

(caelumstarson) #1

I recently got a new microphone and i can’t seem to get it to work. This is really annoying because me and my friends use teamspeak and i can’t. I had issues with my other mic so that’s why i bought a new one. Sometimes the mic would work but soemtimes it wouldm’t. I know there’s soemthing i did to make it work but i dont know what it was. I tried all the usuals, messing around with the sound levels, mic boost, audio sound device options but nothing works. Can someone please help.

(nUllSkillZ) #2

If the Mic in is on a soundcard maybe the soundcard is broken.
Do you have the possibility to check the microphone with another PC?

(Angel1) #3

Could you let us know which make the mic is please m8

(caelumstarson) #4

it’s a labtec mic, my other one came wiht the pc

(Isabel Lucas) #5

Have you checked your Windows Control settings?

• Usually a speaker icon in the system tray.

Double click it and then check that on “Play” the Microphone is ticked but the volume is down - in the advanced settings found in the advanced icon below the Microphone slider +20 db boost is ticked.

The in “record” - get to it via Options > Properties > put a tick in recording box > OK, Microphone is selected and vol is fully up.

Often, these settings screw up periodically or when sound changes are made elsewhere, especially drivers.

Al.

(Hakuryu) #6

Probably a dumb question, but did you check to make sure the ‘mute’ is not checked under the volume control for your microphone? If it is going into your ‘line in’ option for instance, you might not even see this unless you expand the volume control window under sounds.

(ayatollah) #7

Its not that stupid, it has happened to me a few times…forgetting to flick the switch on the actual mic!

(caelumstarson) #8

Just to let you know on my volume setting i don’t have the db boost, i have a mic boost but it can only be checked, i’ll put a screeen of what i mean when i get home from school.

(fattakin) #9

Check the pink mic bit is in the pink connector on the back of your PC - on the motherboard itself or sperate sound card depending on your PC.

Make sure its volume is turned up under windows Sound Control - i dont think it matter if its muted as ts should over ride it ( i know my vent does)

Make sure its enabled in ts and the correct codec is choosen.

check the new mic dosent have a mute button

Apart from that ther is little i can do unless you want to fly me out to your house?

(caelumstarson) #10

i have the mic plugged into the right port, and it doesn’t have a mute button :frowning:

(caelumstarson) #11

now i’m getting really annoyed, i don’t have the things you say i should do and even when i go to the help cetnre thingy it says to do things in soemthing and i can’t because it isn’t there. Really frustrating.

(Angel1) #12

The thing is it could be lots of different things which doesnt make it easy to pin down, having said that i would check out the teamspeak settings to see if that where the problem is.

first go to teamspeak setting then options and check that its using the right sound devices (if it has a named device other that onboard then use that) i also use Direct sound instead of the wave option, next Sound input and output settings check to see that you if your using “push to talk” you have the right button and if your using “voice activation” then the setting for that is in the middle for a start (you can tweak it later on) then click the test mode and see if it works.

The other possiblity is that if your mic has the option to use it as either usb aswell as the small jacks that plug into your sound card then try the usb (ive had a problem when a mic wouldnt work with the small jack option but works fine with the usb).

If you know someone who has a pc you could try your mic on there system and if they have a mic then try it on yours other than that i would check out the Labtec forums and also the makers of your soundcard/motherboard for anyone who has had the same problem.

(caelumstarson) #13

my i hate my sister. He unistalled my audio driver and i had to uninstall it and re-install. It solved the problem… what a reply time eh?

(BondyBoy007) #14

glad to hear its fixed

btw does your sister have gender issues?

(caelumstarson) #15

i honestly think she’s predgidist(spelling lol) against gamer’s… she used to unistall my games like everyday until i had to hide them… only now can i start to put icons on my desktop!!

One small step for me, One giant step for nerds!

(Hakuryu) #16

That’s why you should have guest accounts setup in XP, so other people on your computer cannot uninstall, delete, or even add things, but they can surf, email, or play a game.

Just log off your account, and login to a guest one before letting anyone use your computer. I used to live in a frat house and this saved me endless headaches.