Q3data.exe too many vertices

(modern) #1

I’ve been bumping the number of vertices in my player models for a while now for a specific project, and occasionally q3data stops as it has reached a limit on vertices. When this happened in the body I got round the problem by spliting the mesh up.

Now I have a head with over 800 vertices, and I want to avoid reducing the count. Does anybody know of a way to get round the vertex limit. I’m guessing that Npherno’s compiler might not have the same limits? Are there any improved versions of Q3data around?

(Twisted0n3) #2

Why not split the head into separate meshes? (left and right half, front and back half, whatever)

(modern) #3

It occured to me, but I asumed the seem would definitely be noticeable. Plus I did the “done thing” of concentrating most of the polys in the face of the model. I’ll try it out and see what it looks like.

I could make a low poly head to export the player model, and then export a separate single high poly head.md3 using a Max md3 export plugin, and just overwrite the original. I think that might work. But, ofcourse it would be nice if there was a version of q3data that could handle more vertices.

P.S. The avatars I’m making are for Workspace Unlimited and “IMPLANT” or VWA. The team here has done some really interesting stuff with Q3, and they are promising to opensource the new dll’s inthe not too distant future!