Playing Style - how to change?

(fattakin) #1

I haven’t been playing as much ET recently as the real life issues mount up (getting married) and having upgraded my computer, catching up on some single player games (Half Life 2 - amazing, PREY - bit bland, Quake 4 - enjoyable brainless shooter, FEAR - ok so far, spooky and lovely looking, Call Of Duty 2 – excellent fun!)

Anyway as I dipped in and out of ET I found myself playing the way I have always played, allied engineer, rushing about the map to the next objective, throwing myself recklessly into battle and always prepared to die if I can get the tank fixed. In the past I was happy with the silent sacrifice as long as the job was done. But offline I’ve been thinking about the way my friends play, and even the way people play Team Deathmatch in FEAR: Combat - they move about as a group of 4/5 and overwhelm the enemy. I’ve never been particularly patient in waiting for my allies to move up the battlefront and always charge on ahead.

Watching my friends and other players, I see more patience in the way they play, moving in groups or awaiting reinforcements before attacking an objective. Is it time to adjust my game play??? I’ve never been a great shot as it is - how do I change my thought processes to restrain myself and become more valuable to the team. I occasionally enjoy playing as a medic and support them with reviving etc but when it gets quiet I head off solo for no good reason.

Should I take a break from my 95% engineering and try other classes? I find it uncomfortable not to play to the objectives though so get bored if im not ‘always on’ – Would a medic be a good class to play for a while? I quite like field ops if I fight with the team. I admire heavy weapons but can be impatient to get into the good spots and Covert Ops I guess I’ve never really used as my shooting lets me down. So what should I try, more importantly, how do I stop rushing about the maps and play more with my team? (Note, this isn’t as much of an issue when defending maps / playing as axis)

(Salteh) #2

I tend to stay near other players, but if they can’t keep up with me or start chasing random enemies running away from the objective, I let them go and do whatever’s needed to get the objective done! :slight_smile:
That basically means that in clans games I follow the group, but on pubs I just run around and kill / repair stuff.

Wait for 30 secs and then die once.
vs
Run to the objective in 15 secs, repair stuff and die, respawn before the ‘waiting for 30 secs’ group has even moved.
:banana:

(B0rsuk) #3

I only go with teammates if they seem to care, or at least if a teammate is a good shot. You don’t get anything for following a band of retards. As soon as they start running around randomly, I go alone. I adjust my playing style depending on situation, I’m either suicidally aggressive if there’s a chance of getting objective accomplished (repair the tank on Gold Rush), or defensive and sneaky with medpack stand nearby. You don’t kill medics by being defensive, but sometimes it’s better to give up and try another route.
When sneaking past Axis spawn on Radar, what would you do ?

• wait for some Axis to ambush
  • plant landmines
  • go for nearest Radar Parts
  • take some more risk for bigger reward, and take farther Radar Parts because it’ll be damn hard to capture them once main door is blasted ?
    In such case I’m generally very sneaky, often I lie in the grass waiting for stamina to recover and let Axis pass my hideout without a single shot.

Reasons to avoid big groups:

• panzerfaust, rifle grenades, grenades. Having 7 people at one entrance instead of 6 isn’t going to help, really.
  • enemy can concentrate on defending only 1 entrance. You want them to split forces and guard each entrance, so it’s easier to break in. Sneak from behind where they don’t have guards, kill a few to drive them into paranoia. And it’s common that they just concentrate on 1 entrance and completely forget the other (Tunnel on Oasis, it’s fairly boring if there’s no traffic so people avoid guarding it)

You’re going to have a lot of fun with Covert Op on some maps. Usually it’s not worth bothering with a sniper rifle, take sten instead. It’s the best all-around weapon for covop. It teaches you to really care about headshots: it’s either 14 bodyshot, or 50(40) headshot. The beauty of the weapon is that if you ambush someone from behind, you can concentrate on headshots because he’ll likely won’t hear you until he starts taking headshots.
Don’t bother with uniforms unless needed for a teamdoor. Waste of time, really. Destroy Command Post quickly on maps where it gets you a new spawn. Reveal mines, a lot. This is good especially on fuel dump and oasis.
Use smoke grenades to shut down mg42, or protect construction areas. Satchel is good for two things: killing enemies climbing up ladders or steep stairs (it’s too late when they finally see it), or as a decoy. Drop it before guarded entrance and prepare sten/grenades. Satchel lying in obvious, visible spot makes them act stupid, either charging past blindly or hiding behind it and inviting handgrenades.

(ouroboro) #4

In a word: riflenade.

You described yourself as a player who loves to be engineer and get the job done, but who doesn’t have a particularly good shot. That’s got riflenade written all over it. This way, you can do what you love (and that’s what gaming is all about: FUN), while still being an effective killer. Rather than needing a “good shot” in the traditional sense, r-nade requires a “smart shot.” Riflenade trick shots are a definite skill that should be admired when done right. I myself am a horrible r-nader*, having never practiced it much, but I have friends who are really good with it and they make shots that someone who doesn’t play r-nade would never think of. As for the rifle itself, it dishes out more damage than the SMGs, which can help make up for your less than stellar aim (although the rifle is inaccurate at long range, so a pistol is still better at times). Really, engi with r-nade sounds perfect for you.

As an extra bonus, r-nade is the bane of the rambo medic. Bounce a nade off a wall and instagib the medic who was cornercamping you, and their reaction in global chat will be proof of it’s effectiveness. I know; I’m usually that medic.

*But I have made the “riflenade-as-mortar” shot over the map on the first rush as Allies on Goldrush (in an official match, no less). Oh, the satisfaction!

Have fun!

(fattakin) #5

Run to the objective in 15 secs, repair stuff and die, respawn before the ‘waiting for 30 secs’ group has even moved.

Ah Salteh - i cant do that anymore - its breaking my heart to die in vain so often, i want to enjoy it again!

B0rsuk you paint a lovely picture of a covert ops - instead of always thinking about the Engy’s objecive, i could have a whole new set that are just as important! I get it, and i think i could have fun trying it.

ouroboro - ive re-read that paragraph 3 times now and it makes a lot of sense. I’ve mucked around with the riflenade but always got distracted winging the nades across the map & fixing me ol tank, never really using the rifle to its capacity. Funny thing is on, CoD & MOH MP i always loved the rifles over the SMG’s. I’ll give it a shot

Some nice points to consider and im definately going to try both roles when im next on - dammit i have to work a few evening shifts the next few days :frowning:

Anyone links to good tutorials for mouse setup - Got a Razer Diamondback and i love it, just have it on default settings tho…

(ouroboro) #6

The home of “all things Razer” (and all things mouse, actually): http://www.razerblueprints.net/

The best thing you can do for any mouse is overclock the USB port (usually to 500 hz). The smoothness is DEFINITELY worth it. Download “usbmrs11.exe” from the developer here to change it and “mouserate.zip” from its developer here to verfiy the change. Note that a stable 500 is better than an unstable 1000 (most mice can’t do 1000 stable anyway).

Other than that, leave the sensitivity slider in the middle. Anyplace else is bad because you will either end up skipping pixels or doubling them. Use lower DPI if it’s too fast on the desktop, rather than moving the slider. High DPI really isn’t all it’s cracked up to be anyway. And disable accel (uncheck “pointer precision”) unless you strongly prefer it on the desktop. Even if you like accel in-game, it’s best to disable it in the OS and enable it with game settings instead.

Edit: Just a disclaimer, I’ve heard that some ancient USB hardware can’t handle the higher speeds. I’ve never had a problem with various mouses, headsets, printers, guitar-into-computer-stuff, keyboards, webcams, etc. But if something explodes in a fiery ball of death, don’t blame me! Also, some mice are finicky and don’t hold exactly 500 hz, I can’t remember if the DB is one of them, but even ~450 hz (or whatever) is better than the default 125 hz.

(The Birdman) #7

I like fattakin have always been the same

rushing about the map to the next objective, throwing myself recklessly into battle and always prepared to die
and i’m also a lousy shot :lol: :lol: .

I too have never used the riflenade but for the simple reason that firing off 2 grenades with it empties your charge bar, no good standing beside your objective with the enemy dead and you can’t build/repair/dyno and by the time it recharges (if its dyno you need to drop) the enemy could be back on top of you, as they know you are there.
But i’ve not reached that point where i’m sick of giving the enemy easy XP, so i’ll keep dieing for the cause untill i get tired of it :lol: .

(Salteh) #8

Using the rifle grenade on a pub server is very much worth it. Every kill adds engineer xp, getting you to level 3 really fast :).

(Dazzamac) #9

The rifle mortar on goldrush is priceless. I stick with the group about 50% of the time but I sometimes find the team holding back too much when I know myself that if they surge they could push through, this passive attacking style many employ really gets to me. I do get a tad dissappointed when at the end of a game I know that I effectivly finished myself and I get best engineer with a 5/30 K/D. Your best bet is go with the flow unless the flow doesn’t know where its going. Always remeber though, if your team is getting pushed back and the enemy is focusing on them, stealth is your friend. Nothing as effective as a sneaky engineer. Definatly learn the rifle nade, I prefer the SMG but I’ve served my time with the nade and once you get warmed up with it, its deadly.

(Hakuryu) #10

I must disagree. I play alot of covops, and can snipe effectively on every map. It is an art form though, and not quickly learned. If you ever see a sniper on the ground and in unusual spots than other snipers including tighter areas… follow and watch. Gold Rush as Axis I can really put the hurt on the Allies and contribute to slowing them considerably.
First I sit in the cart in the area behind the tank start and snipe engy’s jumping in through the doors and I can cover the tank barrier build spot if Axis engy’s need some cover. Then I stay behind the tower thing on the ledge, and cover the Allies CP exit from the tank start area (satchels on stairs). I can step back and snipe a bit at the incoming tank route also, but I dont stay focused there as the Allies can see me easily. Then past the bridge on top of one of the windows, can snipe on the steps up to the ledge, the ledge itself and under it. Then my favorite, but susceptible to artillery (I move)… smack dab in the middle of the bank courtyard under a bush. Allies on the bridge cant see me easily, but I can see them, and I can see the tank route incoming and the slope entrance to the left where they like to hide under the balcony. You’d be surprised how many Allies run past me there. I even snipe in the gold room when pressed, and can pick out allies easier than a mg when its crowded.

A well timed satchel is the best chaser killer in the world. I dont know how many times some Rambo medic had it in for me and after turning a corner I switch to and throw a satchel (running), wait a second (still running) and then boom! Very hard to time, but once you start getting the hang of it, it freaking rules.
Satchels are also good remote grenades when you are high up. The trick is to explode them before they hit the ground and alarm nearby enemies. Fuel Dump is a perfect example… as an Axis covert, man the front wall and start tossing satchels over and exploding 1/2 second later in the allies favorite spots. The most kills I’ve ever gotten with a single satchel was from doing this (6).

I’m passionate about Covert Ops :stuck_out_tongue:

(mortis) #11

covies are highly underrated, I enjoy engy and covy above all other classes. Well, skilled mortaring can be enjoyable, too. Especially as people howl about it.

(jjpron) #12

M1, Garand is an awesome effin rifle… It packs a terrific punch and I love taking down medics and panzyfausts with it. (Although 9 times out of 10 I find myself dying, but that one time the medic goes down calls for a victory dance:)
The charge bar depletion can get you in a tricky spot if you’re not careful, but killing quickly around corners is priceless.

Covert Ops is also pretty useful with the smoke nades. Just keep spamming exits and open areas with them for your offence to get through.

Playing engie is pretty sacrificial. If I get tired of that, I’ll take the soldier with the MG and lay down some fire. You won’t believe how fast that thing can mow people down. Plus it’s pretty selfish, you just lay around or run trying to find good spots to lay in, and yell for ammo. I mean that’s your role… You’ve got to be smart about your spots and gotta pay attention to the battlefield, but you don’t have to do any dueling and still can get impressive kills.

Soldier with MG is a great way to learn who the noobs on the other team are…(the people that constantly keep running into your line of fire:)

I myself have not played much medics. I guess I don’t know how to play it right. I’m always running around reviving teammates and not doing much fighting…
Getts pretty boring. Even engies with their sweet 8 nades + 2 riflenades get more action than medics.

And also, playing on the opposite side, even if you stick with the same class, is like a brand new experience. New tricks to learn, new spots to hide in…

(I’m sure I might have stepped on some toes, and I agree, I’m far from the autority, but these are the things that work for me. And I’m in a similar situation as yourself… Job, wife, kids…)

(Nail) #13

just switched to rifle while engi recently, I get more kills with rifle than I did with smg, but I get jumpy with the riflenades, just need more practice against lower skilled players, but it sure is fun bouncing one around a corner and getting 2 kills that you didn’t know were there

(B0rsuk) #14

My accuracy improved a lot when changed sensitivity to 2.5 and started to ALWAYS keep crosshair at head level (good exercise). Now it’s not uncommon for me to have 2 headshots per kill with sten+level3 weapons.

As for rifle grenades, I don’t like them too much, because:

• it drains energy bar, preventing me from constructing objectives quickly
  • no visible trail makes it hard to adjust shots. It’s hard to see the trajectory.

About covop… In general, I get most of my covop exp for clearing mines. Sometimes I get 3 c skill levels on Oasis, but that’s a corner case.
I’m past my Covop sniping phase, and learned to snipe pretty well, too, but the main problem is that except for few situations, it doesn’t help much the attacking team. I prefer to play allies, because a) I already played Axis enough b) attacking is more of a challenge.
I absolutely hate gold rush for sniping. I thing mg42 would be much better in scenarios you mention.
There are, however, occasions, where having just one good sniper makes a great difference.

• Allied sniper on battery helps a lot, your goal is to make them hide inside trenches and bunker
  • Allied sniper on Fuel Dump, before bridge is constructed. This is when you really need a sniper to kill people on the right side of the road. The biggest problems allies have with this map is when Axis start camping around construction zone. I like to go behind the house with h/a cabinets and climb up the mountain. Branches of nearby pine conveniently shield me from stupid medics, fieldops and whatever’s camping on the right side of the tank path. It’s very effective and hard to do without a sniper.
    Depending on situation, a sniper can be useful in second stage of Fuel Dump, but Axis often just hide behind walls and that’s it.
  • Radar sniping is very fun in general. You just have to remember to move once in a while to avoid detection. Keep an eye on compass, because enemies will try to knife you from behind. If I hear footsteps and see no teammate icon, I reach for pistol.
    As allied sniper on Radar, I like the spot behind the truck, as far (and high) as possible. Right next to wall. Unless there’s too much spam around truck, you can be a thorn in in Axis’ side.
    There’s one spot that could work wonders for Axis sniper, but fps on zoom are TOO LOW so I use it with mg42 instead. Axis watchtower. You shoot allies coming from command post. This spot is quite unusual, and I tend to kill at least several people before they realize what’s going on.
    On Railgun, there’s only one sniping spot I like, but it’s very helpful. If Allies captured depot yard, I hide behind the second train (tug?) and snipe people coming down the mountain path. It really helps Axis to recover, and saves you from spawnkilling hell.
    One more thought. If the target is not too far (such as the case above), I prefer Fg42. This is because it lets me go triggerhappy, garand/k43 shakes too much. It is my impression that fg42 is better for stopping crowds. I also think it’s better for fighting snipers and mg42’s - people, who can bite back. This is because fg42 (constant hitting) ruins your target’s aim more.
    The only downside for me is that it’s a little less accurate. People who are really good with k43 headshots probably have reasons to like k43.

One class I truly love to play is Mg42 soldier. Some really nasty positions, mostly Axis:

• on Oasis, two positions overlooking upper entrance to Old City. The one on the right (on the ruined wall) is better for massacring upper entrance, and in case of emergency (someone gets past, there’s smoke, etc) you can fall from wall to the right with mg42 still deployed. When allies come the right path (building, stairs) to ambush you, they don’t expect you to bite back.
    The other spot, a bit higher, on the stairs leading to the roof of flag room, isn’t as nice for covering upper entrance, but with cg_drawgun 0 you can easily kill people from lower entrances as well.
    Then there’s the second tunnel. This spot is really brutal. No artillery to bother you, enemy can come only from one direction unless your teammates suck. Even panzefaust is less trouble than you think - they have to aim in advance, because you won’t let them, right ? And the screen just got very shaky… It’s advised to crawl up and down to confuse panzerfausts and rifles.
    We all know Radar is full of spots very good for Mg42, but there’s a lovely one, and people miss it for some reason. Axis watchtower. Shoot people coming from command post. Protected from artillery, attacks from side, and not so easy to hit with panzerfaust. It’s nicer if mg is already constructed, because this way there’s more room inside. Suprisingly effective.

(YourFather_CZ) #15

For team-playing is better RG.
For single-playing is better SMG.

There are also good camps for Allied Covert Op on map called radar. If you hide above the second Axis spawn(there are two windows and ladder is leading to there) if you not spotted you can kill a lot of enemies but you need prevent you from spotting by enemy yourself. If you spotted you would go to somewhere else and go back after few minutes. If you are hidding successfully you kill a lot of enemies. The best is if you shot Axis to back when they are comming to camp near Main Gate.
Note: shot only to last from Axis group runnig from spawn.

I think that on radar is best spot for MG42 on the bridge where is missing plank - if you are there - you cover all main gate and direct exit from Forward Bunker and Allies have no chance kill you from direct exit, they must go around Forward Bunker if they want to kill you. But someone must cover your back… or inform you for incoming enemy.

(caelumstarson) #16

wow, there’s so much advice that everyone has :D.

Personally my gametype varies from a suicider to conservative, never move. I think you gametype has to vary from level to level server to server. Now if you only play on a few servers you get to know how the people play. That being said you ahve a better chance of that 4/5 groups of guys going on those few servers you play on then just going to whatever server.

It also depends on your playertype.

Soldat - We all know this type of player is the “up in your face” selection. From panzers to flamerthrowers to the mg42 there’s only two words for them “Pure Power”. Although you can get that one guy that stays at a window a gazillion feet away and just sitting there with a panzer and shooting randomly, haha i have a good example of that. On saber_peak there was this one guy on axis and he just stayed in the bunker spawn and stood by the window with his nocs and fired his panzer…was sooo annoying but very effective. You can also go right up to a guy, jump and shoot at the ground, of which i know the results all to much :wink: I’ve seen so many techniques for the soldier. I particulary ALWAYS notice the novices on the MG42. They don’t understand if you just hold the fire button it will go everywhere and isn’t very accurate. You should use short bursts of 3-4 shots. A few well placed bursts will kill anyone and is still accurate. where as you could use 20 shots killing one guy and 5 with bursts. Athough there is a exception when you get someone up close…OPEN UP!! that’s always fun just wrecking someone that’s 5 feet away with a mg42. Flamers can be one of the deadliest weapons in the game…if you know how to use it properly. Now your not going to use it on a map like baserace now are we? You want to restrict your limit of the flamer until you get to maps like battery, or very small, enclosed maps. I usually tend to go suicide with my flamer because i just run into a crowd of the enemies and let er’ rip. If/When you get to level 4 soldier you get to choose from a pistol or a mp40 which i take the mp40 simply because if you have say a panzer and it doesn’t recharge click like that your dead, just whip out the mp40 and they won’t know what hit them. MORTAR!!! one of the hardest but most effective weapons of all!!! Atleast in my view. This is the most common weapon used in spawnkilling. It can be viewed as a “pussy” weapon just like the panzer is called a “noob” cannon. For this weapon to be effective you have to use your tacmap at all times!!(default - g) You have to rely on your teammates sight to give away the enemies position. Mortar can be used on i think everymap but you have to have the right conditions: Your spawn or hiding spot isn’t in close proximity to the enemy (of course), enemy troops aren’t getting near your spot and you don’t shoot from your spawn…that’s just plain being a tard now isn’t it? The map i like to mortar on are oasis, you can do baserace but i don’t like to. You can do it as the allies or axis, both are deadly.

Field-Ops - Ahh i think this is the most popular class of all besides soldier, although i could be wrong. The legendary field strike. One of the most common misperceptions of the field-ops is how hard it actually is to get alot of kills. I mean you have to find a highly travelled route of the enemy, it has to be reletively enclosed (so they can’t run away) and you have to be somewhat hidden unless you go suicide. You can get 100 kills in a map or you could get 5 it just depends. If you have alot of dumb people playing on the other team you’ll have a “field” day. The good or annoying thing if your on the other team, is you can sit in a window halfway across the map with your nocs and call strikes the whole map just but looking out nocs, fire, crouch. Unless you get panzered it’s very hard to dislodge guy’s that do that.

Medic - I have gone medic a few times and i find they are the peskiest people to get into a one on one fight. First they heal while fighting and second i think the better of the bunch prefer meds. You can be right up in the front lines or hang a bit back with your needle ready. You can just sit by spawn or by a high injury zone and pass out med packs. It depends on what you prefer to do. Be calm or be right in the thick of it. And of course you can always poison :stuck_out_tongue: it feells good when you get a poison kill but sucks whena teammate shoots your to be poisoned kill.

Cov-Ops - This is truly my favorite. The biggest assumption about cov-ops is that they all camp. That’s wrong. You’d be surprised how much that FG hurts when you get a clip fed into your belly. I think all cov-ops try to get to a enemy body when one comes close to then and get into diguise. Have you ever seen a “teamamte” run backwards towards your spawn? It’s a nifty trick that only a select few do. If your in disguise and your back is to the enemy i believe even if they can pick out the disguised guys they won’t know your one, but if you go forward at a enemy you will. Just a nifty trick that i picked up and wanted to share. My personal favorite for sniping is the FG. The range might not be long but i like the firepower in the shot and there’s not that bad of a recoil although there is a fair bit of movement in the scope (swaying and such). It might not be silent but it sure is deadly. With the other sniper you get the range and the power but not a fast rate of fire and there’s a huge recoil. A well placed shot is a one shot kill or at most a 2 shot kill. I believe each shot does 55-65 damage (?). It’s also silent so you can’t be picked out if someone’s near you and your shooting. All cov-ops have to be able to hide well. I mean your not going to stand in the middle of a map sniping now are you? Never underestimate the power of a cov-ops.

I won’t comment on the eng because obviously you know more then me about it :stuck_out_tongue:

(fattakin) #17

Got a steady 500, i’ll leave it at that and go have a wee play today and let ya know how i get on! Thanks.