player model lighting weirdness - brighter when far away

(]UBC[ McNite) #1

Hi guys,

just been compiling with these settings:

LIGHT fast, nocollapse, patchshadows, shade, v, compensate 3, gamma 1.4 samples 3, tresh 0.5

and I m amazed at what the map looks now. Only there is some weird effect on the playermodels, as they seem to brighten up in the distance, and get darker when being close:

Worldspawn settings are:
_minvertexlight - 20
_minlight - 16
_mingridlight - 56
gridsize - 128 128 64

Anybody having seen this effect before? Any ideas how to get around it?

(zenith-ply) #2

My first guess would be something to do with lightgrid variables either in the world spawn or otherwise since it can adversely effect dynamic model lighting.

(Diego) #3

Those images look correct to me. In the distant shot, your axis soldier is standing completely inside the circle of light. In the closeup shot, he is right on the edge and into the shadow area.

(]UBC[ McNite) #4

There is no circle of light. I was looking through binoculars as a FO. Both shots are taken in the outdoors area, and there are NO light entities around. Also the effect was the same in different areas.

(kamikazee) #5

If it appears anywhere, can’t it be an engine bug?

(]UBC[ McNite) #6

Well its still wierd… it came with the new lighting settings. We didn’t have that effect in the playtest did we?

I was suspecting it was due to me not having used lightgrid brushes. Now I built them in, but the effect is still there.
To look on the bright side: it sure helps aiming at larger distances :smiley: